HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Pilebuck, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 10:26 PM
Carbon User
YAL
Joined Jun 2005
729 Posts
Discussion
2.4 conversion

Since I'm basically computer illiterate, don't have an I-Pod, and am too stupid to find the address book on my smartphone, I've decided to try and reverse this trend by not being the last RC'er to convert to 2.4Ghz.

I've chosen the Spektrum equipment because I fly JR, and more importantly Spektrum offers the widest selection of 2.4 receivers in the industry. Specifically the "carbon" versions of the various products since I have many full carbon models that may or may not present a challenge to convert. I also had a sneaking suspicion that I could modify the stock Spektrum gear to better suit my needs... But I'll get to that later.

The Ceres drew the short straw and therefore she will be the first to undergo a brain transplant.

First things first; let's disect some of these little 2.4 critters and see what's inside...

Further... >comments.
Pilebuck is offline Find More Posts by Pilebuck
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Pilebuck; Dec 14, 2009 at 10:46 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2009, 11:05 PM
Carbon User
YAL
Joined Jun 2005
729 Posts
2.4 conversion - Ceres

The Ceres was a pretty straight forward conversion.

I used a Spektrum AR9300 which has two integral carbon receivers and an additional tail-mounted carbon receiver.

The main reason I have not wanted to make the conversion to 2.4 is the hideous looking "whiskers" that must protrude out of the fuse... I decided to make mine retractable so that I could at least stomach the look of the model when sitting here at home.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Pilebuck; Dec 15, 2009 at 12:14 AM.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 11:48 PM
Carbon User
YAL
Joined Jun 2005
729 Posts
2.4 conversion - ceres

On to the rear mount receiver.

I originaly thought I may have to de-case the remote receiver, but as it turns out the Ceres had enough room in the fuse aft of the linkages for a standard carbon remote.

A 50" remote antenna extension had to be soldered up in order to reach the RX... I know Spektrum only recomends 36" as the maximum length, but I extended it anyway.
Since I imagine the 36" limit is set to avoid a possible low voltage condition resulting from the wire run, I decided to do a simple test to verify voltage to the tail RX. This was achieved by hooking up a variable discharge source into the onboard electronics while powering the receivers with a small AAA battery... I was not able to get the rear receiver to brown-out before having the forward receivers also brown-out... So in my opinion, the additional wire run will have no effect on the rear receiver's performance.

FYI, when hooked to my standard four-cell 2/3 SubC onboard battery, I was unable to induce a low voltage condition with my three amp discharge source.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Pilebuck; Dec 15, 2009 at 08:13 PM.