Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 01, 2010, 08:06 PM
0.9g retracts
3" from insanity, 2' from the computer ,Richford, Tioga county, Southern Tier, New York, U.S., North American Continent, Northern hemisphere, Earth, The Sol System, Milkyway Galaxy, The Universe, The Current Dimension, Your Selected Realm of Reality.
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
Thanks MB.
Marginal success because I had to put the weights on deck (wouldn't fit IN the hull), so I had some stability issues due to the vertical C.G. being too high; should be all sorted out when I have the keel done and, as a result, a lower C.G.
Yellow Baron is offline Find More Posts by Yellow Baron
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2010, 08:23 AM
0.9g retracts
3" from insanity, 2' from the computer ,Richford, Tioga county, Southern Tier, New York, U.S., North American Continent, Northern hemisphere, Earth, The Sol System, Milkyway Galaxy, The Universe, The Current Dimension, Your Selected Realm of Reality.
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
The hull has had the red sprayed on, and one coat of blue (hand painted) that turned out too light. So today I'm probably going to get some black paint when (if) I go out today with my girlfriend.
Old Jul 09, 2010, 07:33 AM
0.9g retracts
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
Guess it's time to make an update:

The blue has been painted on; I still need to touch up the red in a few places, add the white to the water line, and spray it with clear. After all that it's on to masts and rigging. Pics to come shortly.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 10:53 AM
0.9g retracts
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
More pictures.

I got a few coats of clear on (I ran out of clear spray paint, have to go buy some more), and the colors are done.

Still to do before masts and rigging:
-More clear coats.
-Clear coat the deck and deck-houses with a satin finish.
-Seal the wood from the inside so it does not expand when it get's wet (already had an issue with that ).
-Reinstall the servos and electronics.

To do before launch:
-Masts/ rigging
-Sails
-Build deep keel and attach bulb.
-Ballast bulb to waterline.
-Ballast hull slightly, if needed, to get a slight "nose up" attitude.
-Memorize all controls.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 03:44 PM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,338 Posts
very nice Fred ! she`s going o be a beauty under sail!
my i suggest you have a go at Tyvek sails? Brooks and me have had great success with it, they are also much easier to make than ripstop or cloth sails... it works juet like with paper!
meatbomber is offline Find More Posts by meatbomber
Old Jul 18, 2010, 02:32 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,767 Posts
Looking good YB!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Jul 18, 2010, 11:07 PM
0.9g retracts
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
Thanks for the comments guys.

MB, I'm going to use cotton sails again (thinner and lighter however than the stuff I usually use). I know you and Brooks have had great success with the Tyvek, but I'm a sucker for traditional materials. As you guys have stated you can't really reef the tyvek sails, that's something I've only started doing with the cloth and I want to experiment more with that.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 03:07 PM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,338 Posts
Hey YB long time no news ?
Old Oct 20, 2010, 11:26 PM
USA, UT, Murray
Joined Jun 2009
28 Posts
Looks great, im just starting on my own clipper project (a static model conversion) im interested in how you are going to setup the running rigging on 'er
dwil018 is offline Find More Posts by dwil018
Old Oct 21, 2010, 05:46 AM
0.9g retracts
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
Hey guys, I've been caught up with school, my other hobbies (bass playing, and now micro planes), and spending time with my girlfriend. I also managed to drop a fan on the clipper that chipped the paint and dented the hull (have to touch that up and re apply the clear coat).
Old Oct 21, 2010, 02:41 PM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,338 Posts
ahwww YB you`re almost through with it... just a few more evenings for rigging her up Use Tyvek, works much faster!
Old Oct 22, 2010, 05:29 AM
0.9g retracts
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
I clear coated the insides and deck yesterday afternoon to keep water from soaking into the balsa and ruining my finish (mixed epoxy with denatured alcohol), still letting it cure for now. I'm going to coat the deck again with aero-dope to get a satin finish on the deck. My girlfriend's coming over for the weekend, so I'm not going to get anything done on the clipper until Monday at the earliest. who knows, maybe I'll have some nice shots of the masts and spars by midweek...
Old Nov 09, 2010, 02:03 PM
0.9g retracts
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
I cut all the masts, yards, spars, all the other round wooden bits, and all the brass this afternoon, should have it all built and standing rigging by late tonight.
Old Nov 09, 2010, 03:05 PM
Damp and Dizzy member
Bozeman, Montana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
3,379 Posts
Yipee!
Brooks is offline Find More Posts by Brooks
Old Nov 09, 2010, 03:30 PM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004