HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 11, 2010, 02:54 PM
0.9g retracts
3" from insanity, 2' from the computer ,Richford, Tioga county, Southern Tier, New York, U.S., North American Continent, Northern hemisphere, Earth, The Sol System, Milkyway Galaxy, The Universe, The Current Dimension, Your Selected Realm of Reality.
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
It's been a while, life's come up and the what not. Point is I have the bullwarks done and am now planking them, I need to get more balsa for the planking, filler, and some dowels. After that I can get everything but the keel done (that'll be later, I'm not happy with the 1/8" ply one). Pics sometime in the next week.
Yellow Baron is offline Find More Posts by Yellow Baron
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2010, 01:12 PM
0.9g retracts
3" from insanity, 2' from the computer ,Richford, Tioga county, Southern Tier, New York, U.S., North American Continent, Northern hemisphere, Earth, The Sol System, Milkyway Galaxy, The Universe, The Current Dimension, Your Selected Realm of Reality.
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
The right side of the hull has been filled and is drying. Once it's cured, the other side will be filled and then the whole bloody thing sanded smooth and painted before masts and rigging are attached.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 07:28 PM
Damp and Dizzy member
Bozeman, Montana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
3,393 Posts
Glad you have been able to get back to your Clipper :-)
Brooks is offline Find More Posts by Brooks
Old Jun 19, 2010, 09:40 AM
0.9g retracts
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
Thanks Brooks =) I'm glad too, it's kinda been been sitting there for a while and I thought "Hmmm... I should finish that, now."

I haven't gotten anything done on it since the 16th as the putty was curing and I was either at my girlfriend's house or she was over here everyday .

Today, however, I'm puttying the other side of the clipper and filling in a few cracks that came up in the other side's filler job.
Last edited by Yellow Baron; Jun 21, 2010 at 10:46 AM.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 11:53 AM
0.9g retracts
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
I finished puttying the other side, it's outside baking right now (it's about 90 degrees out there ) probably sand later today, maybe buy some paint too.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 12:22 PM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,342 Posts
time for some pics YB
meatbomber is offline Find More Posts by meatbomber
Old Jun 19, 2010, 06:19 PM
0.9g retracts
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
MB, yes, yes it is. Sadly the camera's cable seems to be MIA right now .

I bought some dark blue paint, I'll still need to add some black to the mix I think ( "So you want black with a hint of blue?" as my dad put it ). The putty is still curing and it's cracking slightly on the surface (no big problem, I'll add some more putty to the cracks tomorrow morning before I go out with my family).
Old Jun 21, 2010, 10:48 AM
0.9g retracts
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
Pictures? Pictures.

I found the camera's cable and uploaded all the pics that had filled the card, then took some of the ship only a few minutes ago. So here's the pictures .
Old Jun 21, 2010, 10:55 AM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,342 Posts
once the other side is sanded smooth you will have a very nice looking Clipper hull
Can`t wait to see how she`s going to look like with her rigging up and in the water !
Old Jun 21, 2010, 09:50 PM
0.9g retracts
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
MB, I have to sand the bulwarks to their curve too, but other than that it's mainly sanding with finer and finer grit paper.

I got some 60 grit paper late yesterday, didn't get anything done as my girlfriend was coming over and I wanted to be at least dust free . Tomorrow looks like I'm going to be out with friends. Perhaps Wednesday I'll get some "work" done?
Old Jun 23, 2010, 08:57 AM
0.9g retracts
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
Well, by my calendar it's Wednesday, but my friend was busy so we had to reschedule for today.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 10:29 AM
0.9g retracts
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
One side of the hull has had the final coat of filler applied, sanded and is ready for finer grits, the other has had the main filler job applied, sanded, and has the small spots curing. I'll have pics when the whole hull is sanded with the 60 grit.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 05:53 PM
0.9g retracts
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
Hull pics!

In some horribly cruel twist of fate my girlfriend had to babysit her little brother and sister one month to the day we started dating. So making the best of a mediocre situation, I worked on the clipper this afternoon and got it sanded down to 220grit. So with out further a due, for your viewing pleasure, the clipper ship Valhalla
Old Jul 01, 2010, 12:48 PM
0.9g retracts
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
Today I sanded some more, sprayed a coat of clear to seal the wood, and test floated in the tub; marginal success, but enough to get the info I needed, still plenty of weight to be added, on the order of 8 pounds. As I type this the red for the bottom of the hull is drying after probably a dozen coats (VERY LIGHT coats). I'll have pics once the hull is painted more.
Old Jul 01, 2010, 01:48 PM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,342 Posts
looks very good, YB!

how come only marginal success ?