HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 06, 2010, 07:16 PM
0.9g retracts
3" from insanity, 2' from the computer ,Richford, Tioga county, Southern Tier, New York, U.S., North American Continent, Northern hemisphere, Earth, The Sol System, Milkyway Galaxy, The Universe, The Current Dimension, Your Selected Realm of Reality.
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
Thanks for the diagram Brooks let me see if I get what you're saying about the reeving, with 2:1 the "avalible" torque to move the sails would be half of that it says on the servo's box (3:1 would be a thrid, and 4:1 would be a quarter).

If I remember correctly; on my last expedition to Lowe's I saw some very small pulleys (maybe just over an inch long, 1/2 inch dia wheel) with ball bearings, it might be worth while to get a few and thusly cut down on the drag. I can clearly see my hull quickly turning into a spider's den .

I got more Ca this afternoon, and the deck is now planked, I'll cut out the hatches later tonight and have pics tomorrow (hopefully). Getting the hull sanded is looking to be tomorrow if I'm really lucky, end of next week/weekend hopefully at the latest.
Yellow Baron is offline Find More Posts by Yellow Baron
Last edited by Yellow Baron; Feb 06, 2010 at 07:52 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2010, 12:45 PM
0.9g retracts
3" from insanity, 2' from the computer ,Richford, Tioga county, Southern Tier, New York, U.S., North American Continent, Northern hemisphere, Earth, The Sol System, Milkyway Galaxy, The Universe, The Current Dimension, Your Selected Realm of Reality.
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
Deck pics.

I got the deck planked Sunday night, recut the hatches out on Monday, glued the foam gaskets, drilled the holes, and fit it all together on Tuesday. Today I have the pics. the left side of the hull is still a work-in-progress.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 05:00 PM
Damp and Dizzy member
Bozeman, Montana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
3,392 Posts
Hi YB, yes you got the torque power vs multiplication of haul correct. No free lunch, with blocks or anything else :-). Before you shell out for a bunch of blocks, why don't you try her with just screweyes. Squaresails take less torque to move than fore&aft sails, so maybe your servos will be strong enough, even with multiplication. Don't fix a potentially non-problem, you know (unless you really want blocks aboard). Also, I doubt any blocks available on the home improvement isle will be of sufficient quality to improve matters belowdeck: a)Once the ball bearings rust, the block will no longer be an asset, and b) unless the sheeve/shell gap is small, you will have to use fat cord (another source of frictional losses) to keep the braces from jamming.
Brooks is offline Find More Posts by Brooks
Old Feb 10, 2010, 05:18 PM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,342 Posts
YB i'm wondering how long your yards are ? On Somers with a 16cm beam the tops'l Yards are just a tad smaller than the beam and actually exactly the right size for my 2:1 reeved servo brace arms maybe you can gain what you want actually without using more turns on your brace lines..
meatbomber is offline Find More Posts by meatbomber
Old Feb 11, 2010, 04:12 PM
0.9g retracts
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
I must have made a miscalcualtion some where along the lines, I had 12" set in my mind for the main sails yard for some reason.

Brooks, Ok, I'll give her a shot with just screw eyes, I can always change it later. The standard size servos I'm using put out 42 oz-in of torque, should be plenty to spare.

MB, the main yard is nearly 7 inches from tip to tip. so yes, I should be able to get a way with the 2:1 reeving, wich will leave me with 21 oz-in of torque.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 08:40 PM
0.9g retracts
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
As promised I got the hull glued together and 95% sanded today, the epoxy is curing as I type this. I need to do final shaping (that can only be done with the keel in place) and sand off a spot of filler on the stern. Pics tomorrow evening after all of that is done. Also, I'm out of sanding drums for the Dremmel, so I won't be able to glue the deck down untill I get those and I need to get balsa and ply to finish building the hull, might be awhile, so the build is on abit of a hold untill then (might actualy finish that Bristol Fighter I've had since June).
Last edited by Yellow Baron; Feb 14, 2010 at 08:49 PM.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 10:45 PM
0.9g retracts
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
I test floated my hull today (put it in a garbage bag to waterproof ) with the steel pipe keel buld placed in the hull it drew about an inch.

Still have some sanding to do.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 09:08 PM
0.9g retracts
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
I got the parts needed to "finish" the clipper (I think that's all I REALLY need). got a job interview tomorrow, so build will be slightly delayed.
Old Apr 01, 2010, 10:50 AM
0.9g retracts
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
Well it's been a while, but with the weather being so nice (so I can sand OUTSIDE! *cough hack*) and sailing season starting soon, I'm itching to get the clipper done. I have to buy/build a battery harness (that reminds me, also need a soddering iron) and get a dark horse project out of the way; then it's all sails set untill it's done, or I go mad
Old Apr 22, 2010, 07:05 PM
0.9g retracts
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
I glued the deck inplace today, sorry no pics at this time. Now I have to wait for the epoxy to cure and build the bullwarks. After that it's on to masts and rigging!
Old Apr 23, 2010, 12:27 PM
0.9g retracts
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
It's starting to look like a ship now! I'm fiddling with the card templates for the bullwarks. I'm not going to get much done tonight as I plan to be going to a metal concert with some firends, I will resume building once my hearing as returned sometime early next week .

Looks like there was smudge on the camera...
Old Apr 25, 2010, 11:04 AM
0.9g retracts
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
Well the concert on Friday wasn't nearly as loud as expected. I've got the templates for the bullwarks done and the balsa cut for them, now mulling over how to glue them exactly, then more planking.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 06:26 PM
Damp and Dizzy member
Bozeman, Montana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
3,392 Posts
That's going to be one cool clipper, YB.
Brooks is offline Find More Posts by Brooks
Old Apr 27, 2010, 01:45 PM
0.9g retracts
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
Thanks Brooks, I hope she sails as well as she'll look!
Old May 03, 2010, 08:44 AM
0.9g retracts
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
I'm almost done glueing on the bullwarks, need to add the middle piece to each side.