Bozeman, Montana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
3,413 Posts
All Right YB!
Brooks is offline Find More Posts by Brooks
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2010, 04:44 PM
0.9g retracts
3" from insanity, 2' from the computer ,Richford, Tioga county, Southern Tier, New York, U.S., North American Continent, Northern hemisphere, Earth, The Sol System, Milkyway Galaxy, The Universe, The Current Dimension, Your Selected Realm of Reality.
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
I'm going to tackle the deck next, then the keel (the one that the plans have on them; not the deep keel, which is already done... mostly).
Yellow Baron is offline Find More Posts by Yellow Baron
Old Jan 05, 2010, 11:05 PM
0.9g retracts
3" from insanity, 2' from the computer ,Richford, Tioga county, Southern Tier, New York, U.S., North American Continent, Northern hemisphere, Earth, The Sol System, Milkyway Galaxy, The Universe, The Current Dimension, Your Selected Realm of Reality.
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
MB,
In Delftship, is there any way to change the size of the background image (I can't get it to be the right size for another of my projects)?
Old Jan 06, 2010, 04:22 AM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,357 Posts
yea ? i'm wondering how you did it with teh clipper then ?

Just right click on the background imgage., then set the origin, so you have a point that is know e.g. aft perpendicular crossing the base line for example as that won't chnage in hight when you scale the image. Next click on scale, you have to now select a point on the image and then give its coordinates, so for example i click on the forward perpendicular crossing the base line an set the coordinates to 0 hight, 0, left / right, length of the ship between perpendiculars in my scale. Voila your profile should be scaled to teh right dimensions now. Add the other views only AFTER you have scaled the profil view, as the delftship will then scale the other views automatically. if you have added other views yet, then remove the background image there, and start again with only one in the profile view.

hope that helps
meatbomber is online now Find More Posts by meatbomber
Old Jan 06, 2010, 12:56 PM
0.9g retracts
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
Haha, I'm trying to remember how I did it for the clipper .

Got it! Once again, thanks a million .
Old Jan 08, 2010, 08:20 PM
0.9g retracts
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
My balsa and servos came in today . I've started tracing all the templates, this is going to take some time . All the deck pieces (sub-deck, hatches, hatch trays, ect.) are going to be cut on a band saw when my family and I go to visit my uncle for a day on either saturday or sunday.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 02:22 PM
0.9g retracts
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
The chips have flown!

Yesterday was spent cutting, fitting, and gluing all the balsa laminations. Today I'm working on my figurehead, and getting MORE sandpaper. tomorrow I should have the basic sanding done (unless I go out that day, not sure yet).
Old Jan 11, 2010, 05:41 PM
Damp and Dizzy member
Joined Aug 2003
3,413 Posts
You'll have enough wood leftover to make a pilot schooner to go with your clipper, maybe :-).
Old Jan 11, 2010, 07:47 PM
0.9g retracts
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
I was thinking roughly the same thing Brooks
Old Jan 12, 2010, 03:13 AM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,357 Posts
YB just a question, how did you mark the actual outline on your layers so you know as to where to sand to ? I had cut mine pretty much on the line of the template so basically when all the grooves where sanded away i was finished?
meatbomber is online now Find More Posts by meatbomber
Old Jan 12, 2010, 12:31 PM
0.9g retracts
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
MB, I just outlined them with pencil when I traced the templates. I'm going to have to go TLAR on this with the plans for reference.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 06:50 PM
0.9g retracts
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
Something resembling a hull?

I have half of the hull roughed out with the dremmel (I don't suppose I have to say the dust went everywhere ). I still have to do the other side, then sand them by hand with 60, 100, 150, 220, and 300.

The figurehead:
Before anyone says it, the figurehead is of a Valkyrie (a throw back to my first real footy), NOT an angel, I still need to add the spear. It's made of that clay you bake in the oven, so once I refine the shape more (the pic is only done with my fingers, no tools) I'll bake it and it'll be ready for final minute detailing.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 12:20 AM
Damp and Dizzy member
Joined Aug 2003
3,413 Posts
Nice figurehead. Will she be painted gold, white, or several colors?
Old Jan 13, 2010, 07:57 AM
Maltese sparrow
Leicester, UK
Joined Oct 2004
536 Posts
I DO hope she will be painted the clours of a real Valkyrie, but I confess that I have never mamaged to get one to sit for a portrait

I suspect if I did I would have to finish the picture in Nifelheim.

For roughing I like to use a razor plane - most especially one with the balde at a skew angle - and probably a new blade.

andrew
andrewhalst is offline Find More Posts by andrewhalst
Old Jan 13, 2010, 11:18 AM
0.9g retracts
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
Brooks,
I think she'll be white, maybe with abit of gold trim like Cutty Sark's figurehead, but I'm not totally sure (and my painting skills aren't that great).

Andrew,
I haven't had much luck getting one to sit still for a portrait either . Either Nifelhiem or Valhalla .