HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 21, 2009, 07:46 PM
0.9g retracts
3" from insanity, 2' from the computer ,Richford, Tioga county, Southern Tier, New York, U.S., North American Continent, Northern hemisphere, Earth, The Sol System, Milkyway Galaxy, The Universe, The Current Dimension, Your Selected Realm of Reality.
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
Ok, thanks. I think I've got a plan of attack for it now.
Yellow Baron is offline Find More Posts by Yellow Baron
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2009, 11:53 AM
0.9g retracts
3" from insanity, 2' from the computer ,Richford, Tioga county, Southern Tier, New York, U.S., North American Continent, Northern hemisphere, Earth, The Sol System, Milkyway Galaxy, The Universe, The Current Dimension, Your Selected Realm of Reality.
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
Happy Holidays to everyone, hope your travels went/are going well.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 01:43 PM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,342 Posts
Ha fred hope you got a good dose of motivation and materials to start soon another pickle i got myselfe into... think first where to put the screweyes below decks... especially to ones going into inaccessible areas when the standing rigging is installed
meatbomber is offline Find More Posts by meatbomber
Old Dec 26, 2009, 02:27 PM
0.9g retracts
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
MB,
Motivation has a full spread of canvas, even the stunsails are set . Materials are abit short, hobbyshop was sold out apparently , but I have the ply for the keel, deck, rudder, other keel, and deckhouses (hatches); and 90% of the dowels for the masts, yards, spars, booms.

Been in that predicament with the topsailschooner build .

A lengthy thought for the build:
In my 50' cutter footy build, Brooks mentioned possbily using the battery as a keelweight. I went to the hardware store (Lowe's) and found 1.5" steel pipe that was between 4 and 12 inches long with a threads on each end (weighed a good bit too), they also had steel and plastic endcaps for them. It is my thinking that you could take the pipe (say 8" or so); drill a hole in ONE endcap; route an extention from inside the hull (from the reciever's battery port), down the keel, though the endcap's hole, and into the pipe; epoxy the hole so it's water tight; glue that endcap on (this would be the front). then you could fit your battery in the pipe, pluging it into the extention; and fill the rest of the pipe with your ballast. If you'd like you could also cast lead (assuming you have the capibilities) to give the whole thing a "torpedo" shape. What do you all think?

let me know if that wasn't clear (it's one of those things that makes sense in your head, but when you type it you're not so sure).
Last edited by Yellow Baron; Dec 28, 2009 at 10:12 AM.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 12:58 PM
Damp and Dizzy member
Bozeman, Montana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
3,392 Posts
Steel pipe is pretty heavy, you'd want to calculate the pipe weight plus battery and compare that to your free displacement (displacement left over after all the rc stuff is aboard). I use pvc pipe; you can get cap ends, or screw off ends. Plus, it's easy to cut to length.
Brooks is offline Find More Posts by Brooks
Old Dec 28, 2009, 11:06 AM
0.9g retracts
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
Brooks,
I already bought the steel pipe . It weighs 1.5 pounds, and the AA pack is exactly 5 ounces. I think I'll be ok, Meatbomber put about 2 pounds of ballast in his Brig; but as usual I'm full prepared to eat my words . I'm wondering if the air in the pipe will be of any signifigance...

Wood bits:
I found 3 different kinds of wooden beads at the local crafts place, they come in packs of between 70 and 90 (depending on what kind you get). the largest button is about 1/4" in diameter by 1/8" in thickness. The middle one is 1/8" in diameter and 1/4" long. The smallest is 1/8" round. I'm going to use them for blocks instead of buttons (they're a good bit smaller and I think they'll look better in the rigging).

Brass bits:
Also at the crafts place, I found 10 and 9mm brass rings (aparently for making some kind of jewelery), I'm using them as mast rings (I think that's the term) on my latest footy, and I'll be using them on this build as well for the same purpose. By my math I have 240 of those, 60 per pack. They also had small (1/8" dia) brass eyescrews, they come in packs of 20, 80 ought to be enough for all the points the lines tie off to. At the dollar store of all places I found the large brass eyescrews, they come in the picture hanging kits in groups of 6. At the hardware store they had brass nails, about 5/8" long or so, I'll use those on the exterior of the ship to tie the stays off to.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 05:02 AM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,342 Posts
YB you need to subtract the displacement of your keel from the weight of the keel in total to get the actual ballast weight
For example my Keel (fin and PVC tube without lead) weights about 650g and it displaces 550g ! so i only have a weight of 100g to add to my ballast. I added about 900g of ballast for a total ballast weight of 1000g when floating. when i take the keel off and put it on a scale now it will weiht 900+650=1550g
Old Dec 29, 2009, 06:07 PM
0.9g retracts
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
Thanks MB, noted .

I spraypainted my keel bulb today, nice bright red (matches the bottom of the hull).
I'm going to order my balsa from the hobby shop tomorrow (It's difficult to find 48 1/4x3x36 balsa sheets ). Untill then I'm keeping busy molding and carving my figurehead, and building my brother a footy viking ship for christmas/his birthday.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 11:01 PM
0.9g retracts
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
I was trying to figure out the balsa laminations earlier tonight and hit abit of a snag. I want to laminate the balsa from the bottom up, to give it a planked effect; but I cant figure out how to get the waterlines to show in 1/4" increments , anyway to get Delfship to do this? Or is this going to be a case of "go get a piece of paper, a ruler, and a calculator"?
Old Dec 30, 2009, 04:26 AM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,342 Posts
Go in delftsip to the VIEW Menu, click on intersections.
It will open a window thats initially showing you the stations, on top are icons to switch to buttock lines and waterlines.
You can now delete all waterlines and then add new waterlines by pressing the N+ button. The window it opens then is a bit too small and you need to make it bigger to see all the 3 options (Startvalue, endvalue and intervall).
You can set any endvalue, just make the interval the thickness of your balsa sheets and voila, new templates
Old Dec 30, 2009, 02:30 PM
0.9g retracts
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
Thanks a million MB!
Old Dec 30, 2009, 02:37 PM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,342 Posts
HA you know more about it than me mate

Let`s see some balsa chips soon !
Old Dec 30, 2009, 05:29 PM
0.9g retracts
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
It won't be so much chips as dust . I'm heading to the hobby shop tomorrow to order the balsa, wasn't able to today. 16 layers of balsa sheet, then the 1/8" ply deck, 1/16" planking, then the rest is built from 1/4"x1/8" strip balsa. Good thing it's 4-5 months before the lakes thaw .

Got a new radio system just for this boat, a Futaba 6EX, I think it will just about cover it .
I'm thinking 4 servos for control, standard size. One for the jibs, fore mast, and staysails between the main and fore; one for the main, mizzen, and staysails between the main and mizzen; one for the spanker; and of course the rudder. I'm looking at different models of servos to see which draw less current. As always I'm open to suggestions.
Last edited by Yellow Baron; Jun 21, 2010 at 10:11 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 10:12 PM
0.9g retracts
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
I ordered my balsa sheet and 4 HS-311 servos today; Bob, the guy at the hobby shop, kinda balked when I said I needed 34 sheets I also printed my plans to full size, she's a big girl! There are 5 major service hatches (parts of the deck that can come up for repair/replacing servos and line) and 3 minor hatches (for mostly taking a look in the hull, power switch, and the like). The stern is a little tight, rudder linkage will be interesting.
Old Jan 03, 2010, 09:28 PM
0.9g retracts
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
Deck houses

The dust has been flying over the past 2 days.
All of the deck houses are compleated. I used 1/8" ply for the sides and 1/32" ply for the roof. The deck houses also function as hatches for minor repairs and to access the power switch and receiver. The roof is attached to the inner part of the hatch which fits snugly in the outer "coaming" of the deck house.

I guess pictures can tell the story better than I (please excuse my mess).