SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 14, 2009, 06:11 PM
Team Mulikow 3D ---- :0)
Oswego, NY
Joined Sep 2007
2,056 Posts
Discussion
how to mount the vapor brick ?

whats the best way to "stick" the vapor brick to my foam model please?

hot glue?
small amount ca
silicone
velcro (will it hold the servo pressure)

I need to mount it flat on top of a mini pizza box flyer ;0)

Thanks greatly for any tips,
Markus
dizzymarkus is offline Find More Posts by dizzymarkus
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2009, 06:30 PM
Playing with AutoCAD!
United States, ME
Joined Oct 2008
2,654 Posts
Markus,

1) A dap of hot glue will work.
2) I would not use CA. It can find its way into the servos and will be difficult to remove.
3) Silicon will also work.
4) I haven't tried this one personally, but am about to. I think that regular Velcro will allow the brick to move and cause some mush in your controls. However, 3M Dual Lock may do the trick, as the distance between the hook and latch is very small.

http://bsdmicrorc.com/index.php?productID=690

-PC49
PiperCub49 is offline Find More Posts by PiperCub49
Old Dec 14, 2009, 07:19 PM
Parkzone connectors here!!
Joined Oct 2008
321 Posts
i have always used a small drop of hotglue. its not going to hurt anything if if comes of in a hard crash (as long as you dont hotglue wires) and is also clean when or if you want to remove it for your next model. i have also herd of people using double sided tape or servo tape which i have not tried but would imagine would be close to the same.
olmstead25 is offline Find More Posts by olmstead25
Old Dec 14, 2009, 08:43 PM
Oswego, NY
Joined Sep 2007
2,056 Posts
thanks greatly for the responses -- I thought hot glue would be cool but thought I would ask first ;0) heres the project -- gotta figure linkages and Ill be ready I think lol

Markus
Old Dec 14, 2009, 08:51 PM
Playing with AutoCAD!
United States, ME
Joined Oct 2008
2,654 Posts
Very cool!
PiperCub49 is offline Find More Posts by PiperCub49
Old Dec 16, 2009, 08:37 PM
Oxford, Michigan, United States
Joined Aug 1999
2,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzymarkus View Post
thanks greatly for the responses -- I thought hot glue would be cool but thought I would ask first ;0) heres the project -- gotta figure linkages and Ill be ready I think lol

Markus
Hey, it's a peaNUTBALL.
Petefoss is online now Find More Posts by Petefoss
Old Dec 17, 2009, 03:42 AM
Nothing flies like a Pitts
Stockholm, Sweden
Joined Aug 2006
317 Posts
i glue with UHU-poor and let it dry 5min, then it gets a bit harder and sticky but with no "strings". Dont use Ca or Servotape that will stick forever and ruin the board if you try to remove it.
Meshuggah is offline Find More Posts by Meshuggah
Old Dec 17, 2009, 08:00 AM
Oswego, NY
Joined Sep 2007
2,056 Posts
lol at the peanutball heheheh

Thanks for the responses -- I used hot glue which was nice because I mounted the brick to soon and had to take it off again -- nice and clean :0)

Im not a super fast builder and ive taken a few steps back ;0) I will post pics later

thanks again fellas,
Markus
Old Dec 17, 2009, 05:54 PM
56S
Certified Balsa Breaker
Joined Nov 2006
1,468 Posts
A very common mistake to to make structure too strong when building light. Figure like the big boys do. Your max load x 150% and design for that. Using that formula, a very small amount of gllue would be needed to hold the brick in place.
56S is online now Find More Posts by 56S
Old Dec 17, 2009, 10:07 PM
Joined Oct 2008
321 Posts
i would tend to disagree on these small indoor jobs. weight is everything on these and a few grams of overbuilding could be the differance in a plane thats fun to fly versus a plan that is slugish or mushy and no fun at all. "if you cant break it then it weighs to much"
Old Dec 18, 2009, 12:14 PM
56S
Certified Balsa Breaker
Joined Nov 2006
1,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olmstead25 View Post
i would tend to disagree on these small indoor jobs. weight is everything on these and a few grams of overbuilding could be the differance in a plane thats fun to fly versus a plan that is slugish or mushy and no fun at all. "if you cant break it then it weighs to much"
I think you agree with my statement. Build your plane to take the required air loads not the occasional ground load. Building light has been a challenge and an enjoyable one at that. In my glow days we had to build a robust firewall and airframe just to withstand the harsh vibration of the single cylinder two stroke motor and the man-handling required to hold the plane while starting said beast. I now build my airframe with release their mass upon a "landing" My motors have come loose, the lipos have moved and even the servo tray has been sacrificed to save the airframe. One time I landed 1/2 throttle 6' off the ground on the side of a lightpole.
56S is online now Find More Posts by 56S
Old Dec 18, 2009, 02:54 PM
Joined Oct 2008
321 Posts
i am sorry. misunderstood. i do indeed agree with you!
Old Dec 18, 2009, 04:23 PM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Mar 2009
960 Posts
I use double stick foam tape to mount my bricks since they are easier to remove with out damage. But if I really want more permanancy I use foam mounting tape and a dab of hot melt glue to stick it good! Then the foam will release the brick without the ever larger hot melt glue build ups that will only increase over time. I often use the foam just for that reason! When I mount servos (AS2000's) I almost always use both. I can always slit the foam tape instead of a risk of circuit board cracks.
MUTCAKE is offline Find More Posts by MUTCAKE