Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcee View Post
absolutely :-)
where is all that torque roll coming from????? :-(

:-)
Sorry I was watching this but I think he is talking about pusher jets only

How To Hand Launch a ParkJet (5 min 0 sec)
Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...
Last edited by Kris...; Oct 31, 2010 at 03:24 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 31, 2010, 06:15 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,254 Posts
Dave is a twit when it comes to launching, flying and landing EDF's. He should stick to pushers.....
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Oct 31, 2010, 09:47 AM
trying to catch Mr. FrSky... It flyes
Joined Jan 2005
1,023 Posts
I think torque roll Induced from the power of your body transferred to the arm, hand and into the plane. Like a curve ball in pitching!!!
splitpilot is offline Find More Posts by splitpilot
Old Oct 31, 2010, 11:57 AM
New Brunswick
Joined Feb 2006
1,251 Posts
Anybody got some of the 3s pack that come with the plane and not using them? PM me if you want to sell them. They work good on my T45.

In the different note, I just got the F86, there is no way that my plane will balance with the stock pack? I'm the only one with that problem?
choopi is online now Find More Posts by choopi
Last edited by choopi; Oct 31, 2010 at 01:21 PM.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 12:38 PM
United Kingdom, England, Cobham
Joined Oct 2007
552 Posts
Having an absolute blast with my F-18. I ripped out everything that was not foam and went for Don's Wicked 4800KV/Wemo Micro combination. Also put in HS-65MG servos. Seeing 440W on 4S 1300mAh and vertical is fantastic (590g installed thrust, 450g AUW).

Really happy that I could get this plane to balance using 2 x 2S packs. I hate adding dead weight to a model...

I'm using the wing-tip missiles only - would prefer none at all, but they do help with visibility.

Jacques
Jacques.Eloff is offline Find More Posts by Jacques.Eloff
Old Oct 31, 2010, 01:39 PM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by splitpilot View Post
I think torque roll Induced from the power of your body transferred to the arm, hand and into the plane. Like a curve ball in pitching!!!
This sounds more like it sp.
Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...
Old Oct 31, 2010, 02:08 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2010
586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by splitpilot View Post

then so how does the jet roll? to the right of to the left?
still a mystery for some :-)

:-)

tomcee is offline Find More Posts by tomcee
Old Oct 31, 2010, 04:00 PM
United States, MA, Wilmington
Joined Jul 2004
208 Posts
edf torque roll $0.02

My results.
I have 2 phase 3 f-16s one is on 3cells with a good amount of power and one is on 4cells with yee ha, THAT is how and F-16 SHOULD fly amount of power.

On 3s you just throw it wings level with a slight pitch up angle. it stays level and accellerates

On 4s if I launch wings level with same up pitch I can barely get my hand on the stick to recover from the left hand roll. With that plane I have learned to throw it with wings banked like it is in a right hand turn, Then, byt the time I get my right hand on the stick, the plane is still doing the left hand roll, but it is just passing wings level, MUCH less pucker factor.

Note, these planes are trimmed and balanced so power on or power off they fly straight and level.
Kevin
photoz01 is offline Find More Posts by photoz01
Old Oct 31, 2010, 04:11 PM
Alberta, Canada
Joined Sep 2001
1,292 Posts
I've had my T-45 roll both ways on launch but I know why

- Right rolls *rare* - all were due to my fingers catching the trailing edge of the right wing on launch - fix was to move my hand back some more (behind the fan now)

- Left rolls - due to wrist twisting on release as well as finger vs thumb release movement and pressure. Basically I had already started to rotate my wrist as I was releasing the plane and was opening my fingers more than my thumb with the net result of the thumb pulling down on the left side of the plane as the fingers were moving up and releasing. This was made worse by fear of the roll and trying to get back on the sticks quickly!

You really need to try a few empty hand throws and concentrate on keeping fingers and thumb level - and launch with full throttle as that makes it *much* easier because the plane will fly rather than glide...

- Flat spin - caught my hand on the tail feathers... Not sure how but it happened lol.
Mikey-flies is offline Find More Posts by Mikey-flies
Old Oct 31, 2010, 06:02 PM
Too many numbers
United States, IL, Lake in the Hills
Joined Oct 2010
1,830 Posts
Anybody sell these on the east coast of the US? Get's frustrating waiting 7-10 days for my BH orders to come in...
c131frdave is offline Find More Posts by c131frdave
Old Oct 31, 2010, 06:47 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2010
586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey-flies View Post

- Right rolls *rare* - all were due to my fingers catching the trailing edge of the right wing on launch - fix was to move my hand back some more (behind the fan now)

- Left rolls - due to wrist twisting on release as well as finger vs thumb release movement and pressure. Basically I had already started to rotate my wrist as I was releasing the plane and was opening my fingers more than my thumb with the net result of the thumb pulling down on the left side of the plane as the fingers were moving up and releasing. This was made worse by fear of the roll and trying to get back on the sticks quickly!

You really need to try a few empty hand throws and concentrate on keeping fingers and thumb level - and launch with full throttle as that makes it *much* easier because the plane will fly rather than glide...

- Flat spin - caught my hand on the tail feathers... Not sure how but it happened lol.

LOL.

The best explanation about EDF torque roll to date LOL

tomcee is offline Find More Posts by tomcee
Old Oct 31, 2010, 07:58 PM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,133 Posts
Quote:

I have dealt with torque roll on my AMX. Basically when the plane has too little airspeed and a high speed motor it will torque. But only at low stall speeds. All of the other jets I have had are fine. 9 times out of 10 you are catching your finger on something. These planes need a push to get airborne not a throw. If you do that and don't twist your wrist it will get going. Also do not launch at full throttle. Most people will tell you otherwise but really you don't need anything more than 3/4 to get airborne if you do it right. Save full throttle for climb out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c131frdave View Post
Anybody sell these on the east coast of the US? Get's frustrating waiting 7-10 days for my BH orders to come in...
Try www.toysonics.com They ship even faster than Banana Hobby and so does www.nitroplanes.com And believe it or not Hobby King is really fast when you get the EMS shipping...
gooniac33 is offline Find More Posts by gooniac33
Old Oct 31, 2010, 08:01 PM
"Jesters" KC-135 Demo Team
United States, MI, Ypsilanti
Joined Sep 2005
1,656 Posts
I take the stock 50mm T-33 and just pitch it underhand. It flies fine and gets on step quickly. Do not try to overhand it. Mine would just go into the weeds. Also, in case you were wondering the T-33 runs 51 mph with the basic setup and the 80 MaH pack that comes with it. Did the doppler today and I really need to order the Dons setup. I am so lazy!
kc135boomer is offline Find More Posts by kc135boomer
Old Oct 31, 2010, 08:05 PM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques.Eloff View Post
Having an absolute blast with my F-18. I ripped out everything that was not foam and went for Don's Wicked 4800KV/Wemo Micro combination. Also put in HS-65MG servos. Seeing 440W on 4S 1300mAh and vertical is fantastic (590g installed thrust, 450g AUW).

Really happy that I could get this plane to balance using 2 x 2S packs. I hate adding dead weight to a model...

I'm using the wing-tip missiles only - would prefer none at all, but they do help with visibility.

Jacques
Sounds like a lot of fun!! I run mine on 4s 20c 1000mah packs with a 4120kv 20mm inrunner in a wemotec fan. It is super light and fast! I will have to try that combo soon. Any idea what you are drawing? Mine is at 19amps and 298 watts.
gooniac33 is offline Find More Posts by gooniac33
Old Oct 31, 2010, 11:10 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,779 Posts
Quote:

EXACTLY!!! Don't know how many times I posted this explanation but newbies are not reading.

I rolled my first hand launch due to wrist action. After going back and analyzing my motion and seeing the cause, I fixed my throw to push. No more "torque" roll since. Don't ever throw like a Shortstop to 1st base!!!
dude_109 is offline Find More Posts by dude_109
Closed Thread