Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 14, 2009, 01:51 AM
Scott R/C Time Pilot
NorthBend/Coos Bay,Oregon USA
Joined Dec 2009
1,492 Posts
Discussion
What happened to spruce sticks?

I have been away from building for a few years but I am starting up again. I cant buy spruce anywhere at all, what gives?

Scott

72.400 orange & white
orange&white is offline Find More Posts by orange&white
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2009, 05:27 AM
Still hanging on the Mt. wave
Joined Jul 2008
523 Posts
http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmar...FV4.html?E+Sig

SIG has some
GDbot is offline Find More Posts by GDbot
Old Dec 14, 2009, 05:29 AM
Still hanging on the Mt. wave
Joined Jul 2008
523 Posts
On the left, it's under building equipment, then wood, from the drop down list.
GDbot is offline Find More Posts by GDbot
Old Dec 14, 2009, 07:45 AM
Unrepentant Paragon addict
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,557 Posts
On a related topic, other than the obvious of being 2 different species of wood, what is the difference between basswood and spruce? I've read somewhere that basswood should be avoided for spars....
LVsoaring is online now Find More Posts by LVsoaring
Old Dec 14, 2009, 09:04 AM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,763 Posts
Bass is not as strong as spruce. It is not as oily and takes some adhesives better (CA). If I have to use bass instead of spruce, I size it by a factor of 1.5. If it calls for 1/4' spruce, I'll use 3/8' bass, for instance... or cap it with CF. I've had problems finding really good spruce, so I'm just getting away from it all together. I am now using solid UD CF for spar caps in anything I build from now on... except for soundboards for guitars...

Jack

PS... Bass is really nice for capping trailing edges. It's strong enough and sands nicely down to a fine edge.
schrederman is online now Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Dec 14, 2009, 11:54 AM
Dragons, Windmills. All Same.
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2002
3,840 Posts
Isn't the nice spruce preferred to use by our hobby called Stika, or sim?

Most of the spruce I have seen the past few years at local hobby shops I would not use for spars unless reinforced. large wild grain, not the tighter running grain for better strength.

Yet on spars that I have used a lot of carbon on and wrapped, I usually subsisted hard balsa.

Jared
jcstalls is offline Find More Posts by jcstalls
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 14, 2009, 12:06 PM
Thomasville, GA 31792
Joined Apr 2002
1,060 Posts
It's sitka spruce that's used in wooden spars in full-size planes.

Roger
rogerflies is offline Find More Posts by rogerflies
Old Dec 14, 2009, 12:13 PM
Minnetonka, MN
Joined Aug 2003
94 Posts
Aircraft Spruce

I think you can still purchase high-quality spruce suitable for model aircraft spars, etc. at Aircraft Spruce & Specialty Company:
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...s/capstrip.php
I haven't purchased from them in years, but at the time I found their quality to be excellent.
-Ben
BenH is online now Find More Posts by BenH
Old Dec 14, 2009, 12:17 PM
Joined Jan 2003
6,927 Posts
IIRC isn't basswood Willow?
slopemeno is online now Find More Posts by slopemeno
Old Dec 14, 2009, 12:28 PM
St. Louis, MO
Joined Oct 2002
2,715 Posts
Nope....Linden is the name I have heard before.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilia

Most of the power planes have dropped Spruce and replaced it with Bass. Balsa USA doesn't sell spruce any more. They replaced it with Bass. SIG has the best spruce. Lots of the old kits were not really spruce anyway. Most were plain pine. Works fine for a high start.

Sitka Spruce (the best and used in real planes) is so expensive now that it is not in many kits. They will use other species of spruce.

Mark
Mark Miller is offline Find More Posts by Mark Miller
Old Dec 14, 2009, 03:56 PM
Mcminnville, Or USA
Joined Jul 2009
597 Posts
I noticed the lack of spruce as well.
Ive been using basswood and clean pine for a while and haven't had any problems.
If you want to do full pedal launches you better cap it with CF anyway.
I personally have not seen real Sitka spruce in hobby sizes for close to ten years.
Sig is the only place Ive seen who sells any kind of spruce.

What I like to do is use 1\32 ply for sheer webs combined with basswood and sometimes CF caps.
zero2444 is offline Find More Posts by zero2444
Old Dec 14, 2009, 05:30 PM
Scott R/C Time Pilot
NorthBend/Coos Bay,Oregon USA
Joined Dec 2009
1,492 Posts
Spruce

Thanks folks, Sig looks like the way to go for me.
orange&white is offline Find More Posts by orange&white
Old Dec 14, 2009, 06:16 PM
Tok Alaska
Joined Aug 2005
148 Posts
When I rebuild a full sized airplane with spruce spars I hang on to the old ones and cut them up for modeling use.

If in your aera there is a FBO check with them to see who is rebuilding and maybe you can get the non airworthy spars free or cheap.

Also there is another way too one of the lumber stores or home improvement stores usually have Douglas Fir is more dense and heavy but can be used as well

Hope this helps
northernlightsfl is online now Find More Posts by northernlightsfl
Old Dec 14, 2009, 07:01 PM
St. Louis, MO
Joined Oct 2002
2,715 Posts
I got a box of wood from the old Marks Model's stock with some kit tooling and stuff I bought. Whenever I open the box of hardwood it smells like Christmas. It's marked Pine.

Mark
Mark Miller is offline Find More Posts by Mark Miller
Old Dec 14, 2009, 07:34 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,763 Posts
There are several species of spruce trees. I know about these from making guitars. I prefer Sitka for aircraft work, but Engleman is a nice variety and actually within a few percent of Sitka's strength. It's what I prefer for guitar soundboards. However, for our work, as mentioned above, Douglas fir is a suitable substitute. Per cross section, it's stronger but heavier than spruce, if you can find a nice, straight, tight-grained piece with little or no run out. For something like an Aquila, you probably wouldn't notice the 10 grams of difference in the spars. You could use hard balsa for the outboard panels and get a few of those grams back.

Just a thought...

Jack
schrederman is online now Find More Posts by schrederman