SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 07, 2003, 10:35 AM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,686 Posts
Bandit is a gateway drug

I just picked up my first F5B, and yes I am an addict. I have found that I could not control myself when the opportunity presented itself to get an f5b. Yes, I was weak.

The FVK Bandit was the plane that caused me to desire a higher high, a faster fast, smoother smooth. If you have a choice don't get the bandit. It has broken up marriages, made people destitute, and financially ruined others...

I have noticed that others have suffered from this affliction. This list includes, but is not limited to....

tic
Whizwaz
Yogi

I know there are others, so come clean. Strangely missing from the list is Tim Hooper. Perhaps his will to resist is greater than ours...
soholingo is offline Find More Posts by soholingo
to remove ads between posts
Old May 07, 2003, 12:26 PM
CA
Joined Aug 2002
876 Posts
Just ordered a VIP, and a Nike soon with a Caleb in the future too... Mostly all your fault.

I am powerless over airplanes.

Have you flown the Caleb yet? I'm dying to hear a flight report, and please be detailed!

And yes, I drool on my keyboard while looking at shredair.com on a regular basis...
Hankstone is offline Find More Posts by Hankstone
Old May 07, 2003, 12:35 PM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,686 Posts
I just picked up the Caleb. It will be a few weeks before I get it into the air. I need some more money...

Anywho, I have a hacker f5f setup on the way, and I need to get some additional servos and a 7 channel rx...

j
Old May 07, 2003, 12:37 PM
CA
Joined Aug 2002
876 Posts
Looking forward to hearing about it.... Is the plane in decent shape?
Hankstone is offline Find More Posts by Hankstone
Old May 07, 2003, 12:52 PM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,686 Posts
Caleb is in pretty good shape. I could actually canibalize the Nike and get it going this weekend. But I am going to wait for all the right parts...

I will post pictures...

All in all I am very happy with the Caleb....

j
Old May 07, 2003, 01:14 PM
BiggerBetterFasterMORE!!!
Atlanta Hartsfield, Georgia, United States
Joined Apr 2002
1,046 Posts
F5F!

Soho, I think I saw you offer on a carbon can Hacker B40 FAI motor with the big gearbox over in for sale/wanted. Am I remembering right? That should scream with some good cells (HR-SC 2600) and a big prop. What version of the Caleb did you get? Flaps? One or Two piece wing? I have been looking at this plane for a while too, and it looks pretty cool, but there doesn't seem to be many people flying it. I saw some good video of the Caleb at http://plawner.net/

I worked on the Sirius last night. I put together one of my 16 cell battery packs with zapped CP1700SCR cells. Kapton tape looks pretty cool! The plane is almost ready to go, with the exception of the aileron linkage, and some mounts for the receiver, its battery and the CHP switch. This is going to maiden late next week some time. If it survives, I plan to take it to Colorado for the F5B flyin. I hope to get some video, or at least some pictures to share with the group. I am using one of those cool RF carbon fiber props too. Man is it light. I can't even see using the cam carbon props any more, these seem soo much better.

I think you are right about the Bandit being a gateway drug. Its really good, but it leaves you wanting just a little more. An even faster climb, more energy retention, less speed bleed, and better thermal cabability. The Bandit does all of these things pretty well, but you know in your head that it could be even better.

~~fred
Yogi is offline Find More Posts by Yogi
Old May 07, 2003, 03:18 PM
slope'n the Colombian Andes
Colombia, Antioquia, Girardota
Joined Mar 2001
4,686 Posts
I hope some of you will make the trip to Denver June 7/8. It'd be good to meet the all o' yous, and I'd love to see a Caleb.
I'm bending my schedule severely just to make it...

Dieter Mahlein
http://shredair.com
ShredAir is offline Find More Posts by ShredAir
Old May 07, 2003, 03:52 PM
f5b-uk
United Kingdom, Dorset
Joined May 2002
3,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by soholingo
Caleb is in pretty good shape. I could actually canibalize the Nike and get it going this weekend. But I am going to wait for all the right parts...

I will post pictures...

All in all I am very happy with the Caleb....

j
It seems that the Caleb is more popular in the states than this side of the pond - strange. Anyway, I put together a Caleb for my father last year (his first and last moulded F5F model. He says he's retiring if/when it breaks). We took advice when setting it up and needed about 2.5mm under the trailing edge of the wing and 1.5 - 2mm under the leading oedge of the tail. I've not heard of anyone else doing this but the Caleb we had would have been unflyable in F5F without this modification. It would have been just too slow anf floaty. Did you have to change the incidences at all? Just curious.

Mike
Mike Seale is offline Find More Posts by Mike Seale
Old May 07, 2003, 05:09 PM
flight999
England
Joined Dec 2002
2,344 Posts
If you have run out of the dollars already, you better go back to something you can afford!
flight999 is offline Find More Posts by flight999
Old May 07, 2003, 05:45 PM
Single-task at best...
Telford, UK
Joined Feb 2000
7,490 Posts
Re: Bandit is a gateway drug

Quote:
Originally posted by soholingo
Strangely missing from the list is Tim Hooper. Perhaps his will to resist is greater than ours...
J,

If only!

I have two problems; one is that my bank manager prefers me to pay off the mortgage than to muck about with toy aeroplanes, and secondly, I've been throwing money at the brushless set-up in Bubbles to try to learn to fly some basic aerobatics!

Keep us informed on the Caleb, OK?

tim
tim hooper is offline Find More Posts by tim hooper
Old May 07, 2003, 08:17 PM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
Soho is right.. I was out flying today. I brought my bandit #1, my F5F scorpio and vip racer..flew scorpio first, then bandit, then vip racer, then on second attempt at flying scorpio, the 4 pin deans in the fuse came unglued...... no ailerons.... no biggie, but not an easy field fix so the scorpio was retired for the day.. Well, with the scorpio out of commission, I lost all desire to fly anything else and went home...... pure evil ...... I had two very capable and enjoyable planes I could still fly but with the scorpio kaput I just wasn't interested.
tic is offline Find More Posts by tic
Old May 07, 2003, 09:27 PM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by flight999
If you have run out of the dollars already, you better go back to something you can afford!
These things are done in stages... I don't have money today, but should have money tomorrow...
Old May 07, 2003, 10:24 PM
Pearland, Texas
Joined Jul 2002
646 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ShredAir
I hope some of you will make the trip to Denver June 7/8. It'd be good to meet the all o' yous, and I'd love to see a Caleb.
I'm bending my schedule severely just to make it...
I am glad to see this. After all, it will be great to meet the money pit errrrr Dieter. :-)
bwaltz is offline Find More Posts by bwaltz