Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 13, 2009, 06:48 PM
I have two speeds fast and WFO
United States, IN, Vincennes
Joined Jul 2006
471 Posts
Build Log
Guillow's Giant Stuka kit

Hello well i have had this kit laying around for about a year now. i am making this a full house airplane. wing servos will be 3.7g elevator and rudder will be 9g. the motor is a towerpro 2408-21t 20 amp speed controller and 2 cell 1200mah lipo. Tonight i started the build no pictures because my camera is at home and i am house sitting for a friend. The fuse has all formers and keel plates installed. The wing is just the center section for now. My plans are to run very few stringers on the fuse and sheet the entire plane. the wing will use all of the stringers but will be sheeted with 1/64 birch ply. the fuse will be sheeted with 1/32 balsa. i am hoping that using these methods the plane will be light. Not sure what i am using for landing gear at this time. I hopefully will have pictures in the next couple of days.
customcarmaker is offline Find More Posts by customcarmaker
Last edited by customcarmaker; Dec 18, 2009 at 08:52 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2009, 06:59 PM
Suspended Account
West Central PA
Joined Dec 2008
2,140 Posts
Should have posted earlier. I have the original ply (not vinyl stuff) firewall and wing center section brace. I scratch built one using bashed 200% plans of the 17" version. PD1 donated an old partial kit to me, which had the plastic parts. I sheeted as you are planning. Still need to fly it.
WTFLYR is offline Find More Posts by WTFLYR
Old Dec 13, 2009, 08:35 PM
The "pro" in procrastination
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,660 Posts
Hey CCM,

Very cool. We're watching

Steve
Steve85 is offline Find More Posts by Steve85
Old Dec 14, 2009, 06:28 AM
Registerd Beaver
Australia, WA, Warwick
Joined Jul 2003
3,564 Posts
Subscribed...

phil
Smokin' Beaver is online now Find More Posts by Smokin' Beaver
Old Dec 14, 2009, 08:10 PM
Joined Jul 2006
471 Posts
I will be unable to get the camera till friday. my pictures will be coming from my phone. quality may be questionable. i will upload all pictures once i get the camera. tonight i will be starting on the wing halves and get servo locations figured out.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 03:15 PM
Joined Jul 2006
471 Posts
Ok left wing outer section almost complete. I forgot to drill the holes for the servo lead. Once that is done the servo mount and lower wing spars are next. I have decided to not use scale ailerons. i want to but not sure how strong they will be due to my lack of skills with a floating aileron. so i will just hang it off the back like a traditional plane. i know some of the scale guys are cringing but this is only my second attempt at a scale aircraft. So far everything is straight and true and hopefully tonight i will have the right wing section started on and the left wing built waiting for sanding.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 05:35 PM
It flew once before...
Northwood , New Hampshire
Joined Jul 2004
3,865 Posts
Cool project ...I'll be watching ( Had this one in the "stash" for quite a while )

-John
jofrost is offline Find More Posts by jofrost
Old Dec 16, 2009, 10:39 AM
Joined Jul 2006
471 Posts
im starting on the right wing half today. I think for the tail feathers i will build them according to plans then sheet with 1/64 birch ply. I changed my mind on the wing sheeting im going to use 1/32 balsa for the sheeting.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 12:59 PM
Joined Jul 2006
471 Posts
Ok i have one question. I am going to use 3/32 wire for the landing gear. However the wheels i am planning on using are drilled for a 5/32 wire. i need some suggestions on adapting these wheels for my wire. I was thinking of gluing a 5/32 dowel in to the wheel and then drilling the 3/32 hole. i don't know if this will work so any help is appreciated.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 01:34 PM
MPP
In Unusual Attitude Recovery
Danbury CT (DXR)
Joined Oct 2005
2,152 Posts
Here you go,http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1#post13529608 nice light weight way to attach the wheels. Based on your measurements the tubes should fit nicely and you can attach the wheel pants to the wing giving the wheels some freedom to move a bit.

Good luck, I have looked at this conversion also. Someday,

Mark

Oh here is a video of one flying for inspiration (not mine)

Ju-87 RC elektro (3 min 12 sec)
MPP is offline Find More Posts by MPP
Old Dec 16, 2009, 01:55 PM
Joined Jul 2006
471 Posts
Thanks for the help on the wheels that will be what i use. the video was nice. mine will hopefully turn out more scale and i think the appropriete music would be flight of the valkyrie.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 01:56 PM
Joined Jul 2006
471 Posts
back to work i have framed up the right wing going to be installing the spars next. now if only i could find some sandpaper!
Old Dec 16, 2009, 09:10 PM
Joined Jul 2006
471 Posts
Well all wing panels constructed waiting on sanding and sheeting. The servos will be mounted after the sheeting is done on the bottom. I will mount them on hatches to hide them. The tail will be constructed tomorrow. I am very pleased so far with how everything is turning out. The last guillows plane i built was about 1 1/2 years ago and it was the 16.5 inch span p40. It built really well but never could get it to fly. on glide tests it just stalled after about 10 feet of glide. But this one is turning out very well. I hope all is good. Can't wait to start posting pictures. I have probably a dozen or so all ready.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 10:08 PM
Suspended Account
West Central PA
Joined Dec 2008
2,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by milesperpound View Post
Here you go,http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1#post13529608 nice light weight way to attach the wheels. Based on your measurements the tubes should fit nicely and you can attach the wheel pants to the wing giving the wheels some freedom to move a bit.

Good luck, I have looked at this conversion also. Someday,

Mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnYtZqCNTaA
I thought it was that video, which I've seen before. That guy built it light. You aren't hand lauching any of my sheeted Guillows conversions like that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by milesperpound View Post
Oh here is a video of one flying for inspiration (not mine)
I don't think you'd claim that as yours. The music is a howl. Just didn't seem to fit with any of the people or the plane in the video.
WTFLYR is offline Find More Posts by WTFLYR
Old Dec 17, 2009, 08:51 AM
Joined Jul 2006
471 Posts
Well there are all kinds of music out there. maybe he really liked techno. But it did look from germany and techno is really big there. I probably wont be able to hand launch this one either. What did you use for the tailwheel assembly?