HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 20, 2001, 12:40 AM
Just an average RC'er
Laurel, Maryland USA
Joined Aug 2000
4,291 Posts
How do you make channels in foam?

I have a new terry that I'd like to reinforce with some carbon fiber strip that I have. I have seen others who have cut a thin (1-2mm) channel in the foam. The Terry is made of what looks to be a dense EPS foam. Every time I have atempted a thin channel in this type of foam it looks terrible and is very ragged. Any suggestions?
Jim McPherson is offline Find More Posts by Jim McPherson
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2001, 12:50 AM
Boulder, CO
Joined Sep 2001
72 Posts
with a sharp dremel routing bit at high RPM, you should be able to make a smooth cut in just about anything
Gospadin is offline Find More Posts by Gospadin
Old Sep 20, 2001, 12:54 AM
WITCH HUNTER EXTRAORDINAIRE
USA, FL, Boca Raton
Joined Feb 2001
835 Posts
cut groves in foam

I use my dremel with a bit that I got at home depot or the local hobby shop , it looks like a
small ball at the end with streaks , it does a great job.You can also use a taper flute bit or a roto zip bit , you will have to do 2 or 3 pases with this one until you get the width you want.
I fasten a straight edge with tape or clamp it and let the dremel guide against its edge. wrap some tape along the bit to use as your gauge for your depth this way you wont go through the wing It works like a charm. good luck, geoff
bushpilotx1 is offline Find More Posts by bushpilotx1
Old Sep 20, 2001, 06:45 AM
Joined Sep 2001
106 Posts
same here... dremmel all the way! i have had mine for 6 years now, and i find something new to use it for about every day!!
LYHTSPD is offline Find More Posts by LYHTSPD
Old Sep 20, 2001, 07:10 AM
SEFF Contest Director
USA, GA, Stone Mountain
Joined Oct 2000
508 Posts
I've been using my soldering gun with that flat blade "foam cutter" that came with the soldering kit. I have the 100/140 watt soldering gun sold at Home Depot. With a steady hand, you can cut a small channel to lay wires or carbon fiber into. It works pretty good and it doesn't throw foam dust to every corner of my basement like the dremel does.
rcjunkie is offline Find More Posts by rcjunkie
Old Sep 20, 2001, 08:40 AM
Most Exalted Windbag
Newark, DE USA
Joined May 2001
1,632 Posts
For running the wires to the aileron servos on my Terry I merely pushed down the foam with a blunt object and then ran tape over it. For the very thin kevlar strengthening fibers, I didn't put in a groove at all.

For the servo I cut to depth around the edges with a knife, then plucked out chunks with tweezers and knife to depth and then smoothed out the bottom by pushing on the foam with a blunt object. You can collapse the individual spheres of foam to the point that they don't spring back, but before they rip away from adjacent spheres.

I didn't like the hard melted plastic that resulted from the soldering iron technique.

terry

RB
Red Baron 47 is offline Find More Posts by Red Baron 47
Old Sep 20, 2001, 10:02 PM
San Jose, CA. USA
Joined Jul 2001
123 Posts
A trick that works well in EPP is to cut the plunge lines
first, and then cross cut through the adjacent wall. You
get a clean cavity, then glue the slit line back together.

Can you get a thin blade through the material? Try one
of those 5" Repala fishing knives.
jf ryan is offline Find More Posts by jf ryan
Old Sep 21, 2001, 12:02 AM
When the time is right
Hayward, CA
Joined Apr 2001
1,637 Posts
I've made custom foam cutting shapes by foarming 1/16" to 1/8' brass wire and attaching it like the tip on the solder gun , you can even make stops from small collars and mika placed on the wire befor bending. Controlling the temperature can be done by timed trigger pulls or a lamp dimmer. With a little trial and error you will be cutting perfect groves in your wings or whatever.

Earl
Duke58 is offline Find More Posts by Duke58
Old Sep 21, 2001, 08:00 PM
EFlight=Fun,Big-T=BIG FUN
San Antonio, TX, USA
Joined Jan 2001
964 Posts
Dremel tool with the dremel router base and the bit that looks like a roto-zip bit (spiral flutes all the way to the end).
It cuts a good 1/8' wide slot.
Use a piece of alumimun angle for a guide and it cuts nce and straight.
Use the smaller bits for narrower slots.
Do have a vaccum running close at end.
After cutting the slot, use a popiscle stick to push out the cuttings stuck in the slot.

Bernard
bjsiegel@texas.net is offline Find More Posts by bjsiegel@texas.net