HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by bmg50, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 12:41 PM
DTW suburbs
Joined Nov 2009
95 Posts
Build Log
gemini repair tests +1

multiplex gemini - alternate motor mounts & repairs

Name: IMG_8134sm.jpg
Views: 192
Size: 43.2 KB
Description: being fairly new to rc shows here, embedded prop well into table leg on set up w/full motor extraction...
ouch, being fairly new to rc shows here, embedded prop well into table leg on set up w/full motor extraction

Name: IMG_8143bsm.jpg
Views: 122
Size: 66.4 KB
Description: should have known better...that's one tough little Gemini
should have known better...that's one tough little Gemini

Name: IMG_8136sm.jpg
Views: 126
Size: 116.9 KB
Description: hmmm, w/minor foam damage & mount screws no longer an option, maybe adjustment screws will do the job...
hmmm, w/minor foam damage & stock mount screws no longer an option
, maybe adjustment screws will do the job...

Name: IMG_8160sm.jpg
Views: 105
Size: 126.7 KB
Description: R&R'd front motor mount - foam repairs almost complete
R&R'd front motor mount using 4x2.5 mm screws - foam repairs almost complete

Name: IMG_8180sm.jpg
Views: 95
Size: 61.6 KB
Description: she's almost ready to go again here,  - after the fixes maiden went A+ (with the help of friends)
she's almost ready to go again here, - after the fixes maiden went A+ (with the help of friends)

- hope this can help someone, the plane flies just great w/this set up...
bmg50 is offline Find More Posts by bmg50
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2009, 09:01 PM
Retired USAF
USA, SD, Piedmont
Joined Jul 2005
2,910 Posts
Ouch...lucky no one was hurt!

Question for you: I see the battery and motor both look like they might be from Hobbyking...was the prop a HK "APC knock-off" as well? Was it balanced prior to running it up?

I've heard nothing but bad things about the hobbyking folding props--poorly balanced and brittle/weak. Never seen an APC-e fail like that...

EDIT: I see the motor is a Scorpion.
cynjon is offline Find More Posts by cynjon
Last edited by cynjon; Dec 13, 2009 at 10:05 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 10:22 PM
DTW suburbs
Joined Nov 2009
95 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynjon View Post
Ouch...lucky no one was hurt!

...was the prop a HK "APC knock-off" as well? Was it balanced prior to running it up?

I've heard nothing but bad things about the hobbyking folding props--poorly balanced and brittle/weak. Never seen an APC-e fail like that...

EDIT: I see the motor is a Scorpion.
cynjon - good eye - but was um.. all user error - being careful "not" to reverse throw for throttle in set up... well, it was over in about :03 sec. escaped with just a nick, very lucky indeed.

The prop was balanced APC and at full throttle managed to push it well into the hardwood while tearing out the power plant.

My friend had thankfully recommended this plane and in many ways its already proven (to me) as one very tough frame and my favorite to fly.

A 1st try at building, selecting most components, so even though she endured a programing attempt for self destruction on set up its flight performance ended up A+, so much to learn..do highly recommend the gemini as well.
bmg50 is offline Find More Posts by bmg50
Old Dec 16, 2009, 11:02 PM
Retired USAF
USA, SD, Piedmont
Joined Jul 2005
2,910 Posts
Wow...just goes to show that even a "test runup" has accident potential. That's one habit I learned long ago--never stand in the prop arc!

The Gemini is one of the FEW Multiplex planes that I haven't owned or flown...I'm sure I'll get one someday.

Glad you got it all sorted out!
cynjon is offline Find More Posts by cynjon