bildo baggins is offline Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Old Jan 02, 2013, 08:22 AM
Hi ya! Car ride!?
Portage La Prairie, Manitoba Canada
Joined Sep 2003
733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaw1000 View Post
Wasn't the ring found in a stream in the first LOTR movie by Bilbo?
No. It was found in a stream by another hobbit named Smeagol, who over time became known as Gollum. The ring has given him an unnatural lifespan, as it later does for Bilbo, who comes in possession of the ring after finding it in the caves, and then winning the riddle game with Gollum.
Sport Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Sport Flyer
Old Jan 02, 2013, 08:41 AM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,638 Posts
You are correct. I was off in that one.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 08:43 AM
In Development Now
Joined May 2005
445 Posts
The Hobbit was revised by Tolkien over the years.

Quote:
evisions

In December 1937, The Hobbit's publisher, Stanley Unwin, asked Tolkien for a sequel. In response Tolkien provided drafts for The Silmarillion, but the editors rejected them, believing that the public wanted "more about hobbits".[48] Tolkien subsequently began work on The New Hobbit, which would eventually become The Lord of the Rings,[48] a course that would not only change the context of the original story, but lead to substantial changes to the character of Gollum.

In the first edition of The Hobbit, Gollum willingly bets his magic ring on the outcome of the riddle-game, and he and Bilbo part amicably.[9] In the second edition edits, to reflect the new concept of the ring and its corrupting abilities, Tolkien made Gollum more aggressive towards Bilbo and distraught at losing the ring. The encounter ends with Gollum's curse, "Thief! Thief, Baggins! We hates it, we hates it, we hates it forever!" This presages Gollum's portrayal in The Lord of the Rings.

Tolkien sent this revised version of the chapter "Riddles in the Dark" to Unwin as an example of the kinds of changes needed to bring the book into conformity with The Lord of the Rings, but he heard nothing back for years. When he was sent galley proofs of a new edition, Tolkien was surprised to find the sample text had been incorporated.[49] In The Lord of the Rings, the original version of the riddle game is explained as a "lie" made up by Bilbo under the harmful influence of the Ring, whereas the revised version contains the "true" account.[50] The revised text became the second edition, published in 1951 in both the UK and the US.[51]

Tolkien began a new version in 1960, attempting to adjust the tone of The Hobbit to its sequel. He abandoned the new revision at chapter three after he received criticism that it "just wasn't The Hobbit", implying it had lost much of its light-hearted tone and quick pace.[52]

After an unauthorized paperback edition of The Lord of the Rings appeared from Ace Books in 1965, Houghton Mifflin and Ballantine asked Tolkien to refresh the text of The Hobbit to renew the US copyright.[53] This text became the 1966 third edition. Tolkien took the opportunity to align the narrative even more closely to The Lord of the Rings and to cosmological developments from his still unpublished Quenta Silmarillion as it stood at that time.[54] These small edits included, for example, changing the phrase "elves that are now called Gnomes" from the first[55] and second[56] editions on page 63, to "High Elves of the West, my kin" in the third edition.[57] Tolkien had used "gnome" in his earlier writing to refer to the second kindred of the High Elves—the Noldor (or "Deep Elves")—thinking "gnome", derived from the Greek gnosis (knowledge), was a good name for the wisest of the elves. However, because of its common denotation of a garden gnome, derived from the 16th-century Paracelsus, Tolkien abandoned the term.[58]
From the Hobbit wiki
Indiana_Geoff is offline Find More Posts by Indiana_Geoff
Old Jan 02, 2013, 11:01 AM
They call me Crash!
Ohio
Joined Jun 2006
1,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport Flyer View Post
No. It was found in a stream by another hobbit named Smeagol, who over time became known as Gollum. The ring has given him an unnatural lifespan, as it later does for Bilbo, who comes in possession of the ring after finding it in the caves, and then winning the riddle game with Gollum.
I'm talking about the LOTR movie. Smeagol and someone get into a fight over the ring..Smeagol kills that someone(because of the evil the ring presents) and takes the ring....I thought that bilbo finds the ring in the bottom on the creek....my mind is foggy on how it went down in LOTH.
Kaw1000 is offline Find More Posts by Kaw1000
Old Jan 02, 2013, 09:00 PM
Hi ya! Car ride!?
Joined Sep 2003
733 Posts
Quote:
I'm talking about the LOTR movie. Smeagol and someone get into a fight over the ring..Smeagol kills that someone(because of the evil the ring presents) and takes the ring....I thought that bilbo finds the ring in the bottom on the creek....my mind is foggy on how it went down in LOTH.
It is as I wrote with the books. The Hobbit is set many years before the LOTR. In LOTR Smeagol finds the ring in the river, and yes, he kills over it because of the power of the ring. IIRC he ends up taking the name Gollum because of the noise he makes from coughing up the fishbones after he takes residency in the caves and it is centuries later when he encounters Bilbo in the caves, losing the ring to him.

fwiw, I did not know Tolkien revised The Hobbit after it was first published. From what I've read on the subject tho the first novel evolved from bedtime stories he told his kids.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 11:27 PM
They call me Crash!
Ohio
Joined Jun 2006
1,692 Posts
Got it Sport and thanks!
Old Jan 03, 2013, 12:04 AM
USA, PA, Westmoreland Co.
Joined Aug 2008
1,311 Posts
Quote:
Deagol finds the ring in the movie (a few hundred years before?), and smeagol sees it and become jealous and desirous of it, so much so he kills deagol for it. I think deagol was a cousin. Smeagol is ostracized and run out of his hobbit community, eventually becoming Gollum.
How bilbo found the ring was never shown in LOTR from what I recall.
jonquinn is offline Find More Posts by jonquinn
Old Jan 03, 2013, 12:19 AM
Cat Rack
Lyle, WA
Joined Dec 2000
1,478 Posts
Saw it. One of Peter Jackson's few failures, in my eyes. Glorious eye candy. Way too long, meandering, fight scenes that go on forever. The first half was OK, but then it became a slog and I just wanted it to be over.
MtnGoat is offline Find More Posts by MtnGoat
Old Jan 03, 2013, 07:19 AM
Hi ya! Car ride!?
Joined Sep 2003
733 Posts
lMy kid liked it. She read the Hobbit again right after seeing it.

I'm still not sure how they're gonna get three movies out of it, but I'll wait 'til it's released on BR before seeing it.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 11:13 AM
Tinkerer in Training
Guelph, ON
Joined Sep 2004
1,846 Posts
+1 for "Django Unchained"

If you like Quentin Tarantino movies, you will be glad you paid to see this one! Better than "Kill Bill" 1 and 2, and as good or better than "Pulp Fiction", all of which are on my 25 favorite movies list.
RGinCanada is offline Find More Posts by RGinCanada
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2013, 11:22 AM
Joined Aug 2011
718 Posts
Watched "Resident Evil 'retribution'" which was recently released.

Avoid at all costs. Silly plot, thin story line, only good thing was special effects. Which seems to be the way of movies these days.
UlteriorModem is offline Find More Posts by UlteriorModem
Old Jan 03, 2013, 04:59 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,638 Posts
I was disappointed to see the reviews of RE. I like the chick and follow on Twitter. It's a silly series but I have enjoyed watching them on lazy sundays
Old Jan 04, 2013, 09:20 AM
They call me Crash!
Ohio
Joined Jun 2006
1,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonquinn View Post
Deagol finds the ring in the movie (a few hundred years before?), and smeagol sees it and become jealous and desirous of it, so much so he kills deagol for it. I think deagol was a cousin. Smeagol is ostracized and run out of his hobbit community, eventually becoming Gollum.
How bilbo found the ring was never shown in LOTR from what I recall.

You are correct now that I think about it...that was the fun of watching LOTR five time...lolol...
Old Jan 08, 2013, 07:01 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,638 Posts
"We are morally indefensible, absolutely necessary."