SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:32 AM
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bildo baggins View Post
To be elaborate on the Hobbit a bit, I did enjoy the fella that played Bildo and he did a great job of making the character likable and quite funny. Especially the original meeting with Gandalf. I LOL'd a few times there.

The one thing I did not care for was the feel of the scene with the Trolls BBQ'n the Dwarves. Seemed a bit too slap stick and out of place. The scenes with Gollum were perfect though it was hard for me to make out some of the dialog.
Pretty much agreed with that, Bildo.

Also thought that the bit with the Rock Giants was entirely superfluous, it didn't add anything to the story and seemed to be an excuse to stuff a bit more of CGI in there.

BTW, the guy who played Bilbo played Arthur Dent in the TV series of HHGTTG. (I thought he even look like a young Bilbo.. )
Norman Adlam is online now Find More Posts by Norman Adlam
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:07 AM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,726 Posts
Rock giants were just as you said. The fights scenes while escaping the Goblin(?) lair were a bit too cartoonish as well.
bildo baggins is online now Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:37 AM
I'd rather be Flying
Nashville, NC, USA
Joined Mar 1999
2,883 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefo View Post
Yup....D. Day Lewis gets it right...don't he?
The Abe Lincoln vampire movie starred Benjamin Walker as Abe. DD Lewis plays Lincoln in the more realistic Abe Lincoln movie out now. Yes, he is a great actor.
davecee is online now Find More Posts by davecee
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:42 AM
In Development Now
Joined May 2005
448 Posts
The rock giants were part of the story and were a very good movie representation of a rather odd part of the book. I would read it but it never really was captured in my head. The movie got it right.
Indiana_Geoff is online now Find More Posts by Indiana_Geoff
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:53 AM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,726 Posts
Maybe in the book but still executed badly. No way would they have survived what I saw
Old Jan 01, 2013, 05:54 PM
Alarm Bells Continuing!
Arizona
Joined Oct 2001
276 Posts
Watched "Cabin In The Woods" last night. I thought it was the most imaginative plot I've seen in a long time, and liked it a lot. The wife on the other hand didn't like the violence.

If you're thinking of watching it, don't read a review, don't read a recap, just watch it and enjoy the moments of "what the heck is going on - this is nuts" that you will have.
Big Foot 48 is online now Find More Posts by Big Foot 48
Old Jan 01, 2013, 10:41 PM
29 rods from you in western WI
Joined Jan 2003
4,885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Bē View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Foot 48 View Post
Tom Cruise is no Jack Reacher, and how disappointed I am that he was chosen to play a 6'5" 250# character.
I've read them all, wife's read 3-4, and when the preview came on, we both looked at each other and said, "No way!"

Totally miscast. The movie might be enjoyable in its own right, but won't resonate with those who know the books.
I saw Jack Reacher on new year's eve. I take it back. He pulls it off just fine. Very enjoyable flick, though there was some pretty violent scenes.

One word of advice: the run time's a bit long, so tinkle before the movie and don't drink too much during. There's a scene in a downpour near the end, and the sight and sound of the rain will trigger your bladder.
Karl Bē is offline Find More Posts by Karl Bē
Old Jan 01, 2013, 10:52 PM
Alarm Bells Continuing!
Arizona
Joined Oct 2001
276 Posts
Glad to hear that about Reacher. Wife uses RunPee app to determine best time to go.

Just saw the preview to World War Z and it looks really good. Read the book.
Big Foot 48 is online now Find More Posts by Big Foot 48
Old Jan 01, 2013, 11:05 PM
They call me Crash!
Ohio
Joined Jun 2006
1,692 Posts
I loved Rings but Hobbit did nothing for me. I did not like the ending and the movie seemed to bounce around and did not make sense sometimes. The supposed "Joke lines" were not funny at all. Bilbo was a good character and did a good job...story line sucked. How Bilbo got the ring was different than in the original ring movie.

Thumbs down on Hobbit.
Kaw1000 is online now Find More Posts by Kaw1000
Old Jan 01, 2013, 11:09 PM
They call me Crash!
Ohio
Joined Jun 2006
1,692 Posts
I also watched Hobbit in 3d which was cool. Why is it that they have to blow you out with the sound? I found myself putting my fingers in the ears as it was way to loud for me.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 11:20 PM
United States, CA, Brentwood
Joined Jun 2012
451 Posts
Saw Django unchained. Great flick.
Underthetire is offline Find More Posts by Underthetire
Old Jan 01, 2013, 11:23 PM
Epoxy & CA Investor
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,619 Posts
saw the hobbit over the holiday. It was ok. Not nearly as good as Rings
DenverJayhawk is offline Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
Old Jan 02, 2013, 06:32 AM
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana_Geoff View Post
The rock giants were part of the story and were a very good movie representation of a rather odd part of the book. I would read it but it never really was captured in my head. The movie got it right.
So I understand (from my son).

But in the book the rock giants were just seen in the distance - there was no need to add superfluous (and irrelevant) 'survival' scenes with them.
Norman Adlam is online now Find More Posts by Norman Adlam
Old Jan 02, 2013, 07:18 AM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,726 Posts
I thought that the ring scene in LOTR was a weird deal. I don't recall that portion being the case in the books. Maybe there is a story in there explaining it away
Old Jan 02, 2013, 08:58 AM
They call me Crash!
Ohio
Joined Jun 2006
1,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bildo baggins View Post
I thought that the ring scene in LOTR was a weird deal. I don't recall that portion being the case in the books. Maybe there is a story in there explaining it away

Wasn't the ring found in a stream in the first LOTR movie by Bilbo?