SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:50 AM
Hi ya! Car ride!?
Portage La Prairie, Manitoba Canada
Joined Sep 2003
734 Posts
Did you read the book? I'm a big fan of the book and am a tad worried the movie will diminish my reading of the book - movies of great books all too often have left me dissappointed.
Sport Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Sport Flyer
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:52 AM
Owns an Evil Black Rifle
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Dec 2005
1,038 Posts
Saw Flight last night; sobering flick, but they could have shaved 1/2 hour off it...
Twizter68 is offline Find More Posts by Twizter68
Old Nov 24, 2012, 02:12 PM
Холодная война все еще здесь.
Joined Aug 2003
1,671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twizter68 View Post
Saw Flight last night; sobering flick, but they could have shaved 1/2 hour off it...
It was fair, but if it was a bit shortened it would have moved a bit better.
RCWorks is offline Find More Posts by RCWorks
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCWorks; Nov 24, 2012 at 02:29 PM.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:44 PM
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport Flyer View Post
Did you read the book? I'm a big fan of the book and am a tad worried the movie will diminish my reading of the book - movies of great books all too often have left me dissappointed.
Also read the book several years ago. The movie does it justice.
DenverJayhawk is offline Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:49 AM
HANDS UP! DON'T SHOOT!
United States, CA, SF
Joined Apr 2011
192 Posts
Saw Argo tonight (Sunday, 11-25). Ben Afleck plays a CIA agent who develops a wild plan to attempt the rescue of six American embassy workers who managed to escape the mullahs/students during the hostage crisis in Iran and eluded detection/remained stranded in the Tehran residence of the Canadian Ambassador. Alan Arkin has a supporting role and KILLS it. He rocks. Afleck's character was two-dimensional, but then again his character is a man in perpetual emotional control/shut-down mode, so it came with the territory. John Goodman was great, as was that guy who played the father in Malcolm In The Middle (I forget his name, but he did well). Some very good acting in supporting roles, especially the housekeeper. Her brief conversation through a security gate with an Islamic militiaman was gnarly. All the various bit players were excellent, especially the head security officer at the airport. Writing was so-so, but well-directed.

Three stars.
rcposter is offline Find More Posts by rcposter
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:48 PM
Alarm Bells Continuing!
Arizona
Joined Oct 2001
276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverJayhawk View Post
Saw Life Of Pi this evening. Do yourself a favor and see it.
+1 Saw it yesterday, and for those who read the book like my wife, or saw the movie, I would say....

... this is the story I prefer...
Big Foot 48 is online now Find More Posts by Big Foot 48
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:07 PM
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Foot 48 View Post
+1 Saw it yesterday, and for those who read the book like my wife, or saw the movie, I would say....

... this is the story I prefer...
absolutely. Beautiful movie and story.
DenverJayhawk is offline Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:41 PM
Rochester Monroe Cty, New York, United States
Joined Jan 2004
23 Posts
Any comments on the movie Lincoln?
freefo is offline Find More Posts by freefo
Old Dec 01, 2012, 08:56 AM
In Development Now
Joined May 2005
448 Posts
I could have went to Lincoln last night... I passed. I am perfectly content waiting for it to show up on TV. That probably has a lot of do with Sally Fields past month of pimping the show and all the fawning over her. Hollywood stars can be so annoying and she is the worst.

Pi was awesome. But if you are a person who cannot stand a movie without a neat and clean ending, you might struggle. The acting, story, effects and visuals are superb. Oscar candidate for getting a very difficult to film story just right.
Indiana_Geoff is offline Find More Posts by Indiana_Geoff
Old Dec 01, 2012, 09:09 AM
Alarm Bells Continuing!
Arizona
Joined Oct 2001
276 Posts
Tom Cruise is playing Jack Reacher, the character in Lee Child's series, in the movie of the same name coming out this month. After reading (actually listening to, including one now) about 18 of his novels on this guy, I think I know him, and let me be the first to say Tom Cruise is no Jack Reacher, and how disappointed I am that he was chosen to play a 6'5" 250# character. Talk about having to suspend disbeiief!

Child is saying all is well, Cruise is the man, but I don't buy it. http://wearemoviegeeks.com/2012/11/a...er-featurette/

Ray Stevenson would have been perfect: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0829032/

End of Unseen Preview Review.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 03:48 PM
Radix malorum est cupiditas
Joined Jul 2000
460 Posts
Quote:
Tom Cruise is playing Jack Reacher, the character in Lee Child's series, in the movie of the same name coming out this month. After reading (actually listening to, including one now) about 18 of his novels on this guy, I think I know him, and let me be the first to say Tom Cruise is no Jack Reacher, and how disappointed I am that he was chosen to play a 6'5" 250# character. Talk about having to suspend disbeiief!

Child is saying all is well, Cruise is the man, but I don't buy it. http://wearemoviegeeks.com/2012/11/a...er-featurette/

Ray Stevenson would have been perfect: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0829032/

End of Unseen Preview Review.
Sounds about as bad as Matthew McConaughey as Dirk Pitt - although in that bad cast movie (Sahara) even worse was that little annoying guy Seve Zahn as Giordino IMO.

Have you seen Ray Stevenson in the mini series "Rome" ? He and Kevin McKidd were some serious bad dudes in that.
radix2 is offline Find More Posts by radix2
Old Dec 01, 2012, 04:22 PM
Alarm Bells Continuing!
Arizona
Joined Oct 2001
276 Posts
He was great in Rome and has been on Dexter this season as a serious bad guy who happens to be gay, not that there's anything wrong with that. Every time he's on the screen I say to myself "There's Jack Reacher!".
Old Dec 01, 2012, 05:03 PM
29 rods from you in western WI
Joined Jan 2003
4,885 Posts
Quote:
Tom Cruise is no Jack Reacher, and how disappointed I am that he was chosen to play a 6'5" 250# character.
I've read them all, wife's read 3-4, and when the preview came on, we both looked at each other and said, "No way!"

Totally miscast. The movie might be enjoyable in its own right, but won't resonate with those who know the books.
Karl Bē is offline Find More Posts by Karl Bē
Old Dec 04, 2012, 01:52 AM
Холодная война все еще здесь.
Joined Aug 2003
1,671 Posts
Ridley Scott is at it again, stop him before he commits another crime against film.

The sequel to Prometheus.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2316204/
RCWorks is offline Find More Posts by RCWorks
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2012, 07:46 AM
In Development Now
Joined May 2005
448 Posts
I enjoyed the first one. I'll see the second one.
Indiana_Geoff is offline Find More Posts by Indiana_Geoff