HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 18, 2012, 08:17 PM
Houston, TX, US
Joined Jun 2000
1,652 Posts
"Their characters are basically vehicles to create conflict." Sounds like the usual approach for today's so-called "reality" shows. I sure miss creative, intelligent writers who don't appear to just be following today's formula.
DaveG is offline Find More Posts by DaveG
Old Jun 18, 2012, 08:25 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,634 Posts
Formulaic is heinous in any film. if they get a bite they will wear it out all the way down to direct to DVD. Give it a similar name too so people will be duped into grabbing it thinking it's the good movie. Sad.

Strong dialog and ambiance is key to anything being a success in my eyes. A don't even need a solid plot or story line if those two elements are done well. Cinematography is an added extra benefit but not even mandatory.
bildo baggins is online now Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Old Jun 18, 2012, 09:16 PM
Houston, TX, US
Joined Jun 2000
1,652 Posts
Bildo, you may very well be asking for too much, considering that most of the current crowd in Hollywood consists of those who's only adjective appears to be "awesome."

Awesome - An overused adjective intended to denote something as "cool" or "great" but instead winds up meaning "lame." This is actually a reflection of the lameness of person using the word, the degree of which is directly proportional to difference between the user's perspective of the so-called awesome object / person / situation and that of a reasonably sober, well-informed observer. - courtesy of the Urban Dictionary
Old Jun 18, 2012, 10:37 PM
Slope Stud
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined May 2001
2,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyd60 View Post
My son and I were discussing it, and we could have spent about 1 day on that script and made it 1000x better. Aparently, no one in hollywood is capable of creating characters that behave in a realistic manner. Their characters are basically vehicles to create conflict. Whether their actions make any sense in the context of the story is completely ignored. There is no excuse for this. We are not talking about major changes either. You could come up with minor changes to the script, in dialogue and character response to environment. Spending maybe 5 minutes on each scene and develop a new script with good action and horror that was also intelligent. They spent massive money on this movie and for one days pay of a good writer they could have made a great film. It's hard to understand how this kind of thing happens, and it happens all the time in hollywood.
I went to see it with me son also and I agree with your opinion 100%!

Oranator
ORANATOR is offline Find More Posts by ORANATOR
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 19, 2012, 12:29 AM
Have Guitar Will Travel
The Digital Domain
Joined Nov 2008
1,367 Posts
Men in Black 3 in 3D
Most excellent movie.
TravisBean is offline Find More Posts by TravisBean
Old Jun 19, 2012, 04:51 PM
Alarm Bells Continuing!
Arizona
Joined Oct 2001
276 Posts
So, think the plot of Prometheus was garage? A poorly written mis-mash of improbable crapola?

Oh think again. Think of something that allegedly happened about 2,000 years ago. Who was that person? Are you sure?

http://cavalorn.livejournal.com/584135.html
Big Foot 48 is offline Find More Posts by Big Foot 48
Old Jun 19, 2012, 05:03 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,634 Posts
Yeah, I read all that in my search for the truth. There had to be something beyond my understanding of the film! Still a bad movie by any measure
Old Jun 19, 2012, 05:07 PM
Figure Nine Champ
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,270 Posts
Or perhaps, it's just a movie (with a nod to JRR Tolkein)
madsci_guy is online now Find More Posts by madsci_guy
Old Jun 19, 2012, 05:10 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,634 Posts
Smaug should flame the studios

I love bathrobe boy's assessment btw
Old Jun 21, 2012, 06:21 AM
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyd60 View Post
My son and I were discussing it, and we could have spent about 1 day on that script and made it 1000x better. Aparently, no one in hollywood is capable of creating characters that behave in a realistic manner. Their characters are basically vehicles to create conflict. Whether their actions make any sense in the context of the story is completely ignored. There is no excuse for this. We are not talking about major changes either. You could come up with minor changes to the script, in dialogue and character response to environment. Spending maybe 5 minutes on each scene and develop a new script with good action and horror that was also intelligent. They spent massive money on this movie and for one days pay of a good writer they could have made a great film. It's hard to understand how this kind of thing happens, and it happens all the time in hollywood.
Spot on comments, billyd60!

Reeks of a film made by some lazy, 20 year old, 'cool' geek!
Norman Adlam is online now Find More Posts by Norman Adlam
Old Jun 21, 2012, 08:05 AM
Houston, TX, US
Joined Jun 2000
1,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Adlam View Post
Spot on comments, billyd60!

Reeks of a film made by some lazy, 20 year old, 'cool' geek!
Norman, I believe that would now be "awesome" geek.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 08:20 AM
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Norman, I believe that would now be "awesome" geek.
Only for those that think the use of the word 'awesome' is awesome...
Norman Adlam is online now Find More Posts by Norman Adlam
Old Jun 21, 2012, 09:04 AM
Houston, TX, US
Joined Jun 2000
1,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Adlam View Post
Only for those that think the use of the word 'awesome' is awesome...
Like.....'fer sure.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 09:41 AM
Disgruntled Member
United States, OK, Anadarko
Joined Aug 2003
1,629 Posts
When I was dating my wife I met her sister and she was a "Valley Girl" she spoke the lingo, dressed the part and had the complete atitude. She was also pissed because I did not find her attractive nor appealing...
RCWorks is offline Find More Posts by RCWorks
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: HobbyCNC ProBoard...
Old Jun 21, 2012, 09:43 AM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,634 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCWorks View Post
she was a "Valley Girl" she spoke the lingo, dressed the part and had the complete atitude. She was also pissed because I did not find her attractive nor appealing...
My first ex was just like this.