HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Mar 08, 2010, 08:43 AM
crashdummy6's Avatar
Joined Dec 2005
149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
Watched the Academy Awards last night and saw a few winners or nominees for films that I had never given a thought to seeing.
Anyone see Crazy Heart, or The Blind Side?
Blind side was suppose to be excellent. Is that the football movie with Sandra in it? Anyway, chick flick, but was told it was good. Hurt locker was OK, but nothing real special like it is being made out to be. Just not enough realism in it. That isn't how things are done and it should be obvious to anyone that is the case. Avatar is where it's at. JMO
Can't wait to see Alice.
But I am especially looking forward to Clash of the Titans in 3D.
crashdummy6 is offline Find More Posts by crashdummy6
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 08, 2010, 10:13 AM
Registered User
SchiessCo's Avatar
North Hills
Joined Nov 1999
6,073 Posts
I saw Alice in Wonderland in 3D this weekend and liked it a lot. The storyline has been simplified, but the acting was good and the movie had a great look to it. I don’t know the name of the actress that plays the Red Queen, but she steals the show. The Cheshire cat is also very well done.
SchiessCo is offline Find More Posts by SchiessCo
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 08, 2010, 10:16 AM
Chillin till SEFF
bildo baggins's Avatar
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,635 Posts
That is the Tim Burton's old lady. She plays in all his movies. She is really hot but tries like heck to not look as such. Also played in the Potter movie
bildo baggins is offline Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 08, 2010, 10:19 AM
Let slip the dogs of war!
Park_Flyer's Avatar
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Jun 2005
1,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bildo baggins View Post
Most powerful scene for me was the confrontation with the taxi I guess it was. No real dialogue per se but a lot going on but really suspensful
Watched it Saturday night, I agree with the taxi scene. The long range shot of the guy in the suit with the pistol in a standoff with the taxi is awesome. It did make me wonder how he got to the pistol though.

As far as the Oscars, I guess that's why they don't let me pick 'em. I never would have guessed the Hurt Locker would win six. I rarely like or even get most best picture winners, so this one is an exception. I thought it was good, but not great.
Park_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Park_Flyer
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 08, 2010, 10:22 AM
Let slip the dogs of war!
Park_Flyer's Avatar
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Jun 2005
1,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchiessCo View Post
I saw Alice in Wonderland in 3D this weekend and liked it a lot. The storyline has been simplified, but the acting was good and the movie had a great look to it. I donít know the name of the actress that plays the Red Queen, but she steals the show. The Cheshire cat is also very well done.
Helena Bonham Carter - Quite quirky and quite good!
Park_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Park_Flyer
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 08, 2010, 10:37 AM
Registered User
United Kingdom
Joined Feb 2005
1,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bildo baggins View Post
Most powerful scene for me was the confrontation with the taxi I guess it was. No real dialogue per se but a lot going on but really suspensful
I wonder if we all drew the same message from that scene - clearly the Taxi driver wasn't an insurgant - he was mightily ticked off about having his country invaded - did I read that right ?
ENGINETORQUE is offline Find More Posts by ENGINETORQUE
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 08, 2010, 10:38 AM
Registered User
United Kingdom
Joined Feb 2005
1,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park_Flyer View Post
Helena Bonham Carter - Quite quirky and quite good!
I must point out that Mrs Tim Burton is absolutely copying Miranda Richardsons Queen Elizabeth 1 from the UK TV comedy series Black Adder!
ENGINETORQUE is offline Find More Posts by ENGINETORQUE
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 08, 2010, 11:15 AM
Let slip the dogs of war!
Park_Flyer's Avatar
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Jun 2005
1,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENGINETORQUE View Post
I must point out that Mrs Tim Burton is absolutely copying Miranda Richardsons Queen Elizabeth 1 from the UK TV comedy series Black Adder!
Wouldn't know, haven't seen Alice yet either. Just know that I enjoy Carter as an actress in the many films in which I've seen her.
Park_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Park_Flyer
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 08, 2010, 11:34 AM
Registered User
United Kingdom
Joined Feb 2005
1,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park_Flyer View Post
Wouldn't know, haven't seen Alice yet either. Just know that I enjoy Carter as an actress in the many films in which I've seen her.
Ah well - have a look at this - wonder if others think Ms B C copied Ms Richardson's character?


Thus - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbvR-Huy0PU
ENGINETORQUE is offline Find More Posts by ENGINETORQUE
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 08, 2010, 12:38 PM
Chillin till SEFF
bildo baggins's Avatar
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,635 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENGINETORQUE View Post
I wonder if we all drew the same message from that scene - clearly the Taxi driver wasn't an insurgant - he was mightily ticked off about having his country invaded - did I read that right ?

Didn't read too much into the reason for the tension, just noted it was intense and definitely had me edge of seat. Very well executed

I hate doing this and mean no disrespect, but it's actually "insurgent" It's an affliction I have. Incorrect spellings jump off the screen and smack me in the forehead. Only when others do it though
bildo baggins is offline Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 08, 2010, 01:08 PM
Registered User
SchiessCo's Avatar
North Hills
Joined Nov 1999
6,073 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENGINETORQUE View Post
Ah well - have a look at this - wonder if others think Ms B C copied Ms Richardson's character?
I don't see the resemblance. Ms Richardson's character seems much more giggly and light hearted than the Red Queen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti4uW...layer_embedded
SchiessCo is offline Find More Posts by SchiessCo
Last edited by SchiessCo; Mar 08, 2010 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Added vid
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 08, 2010, 01:35 PM
Registered User
United Kingdom
Joined Feb 2005
1,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bildo baggins View Post
Didn't read too much into the reason for the tension, just noted it was intense and definitely had me edge of seat. Very well executed

I hate doing this and mean no disrespect, but it's actually "insurgent" It's an affliction I have. Incorrect spellings jump off the screen and smack me in the forehead. Only when others do it though
YOU can't teach a Brit spelling til you get your own house in order

But this one was a fair cop
ENGINETORQUE is offline Find More Posts by ENGINETORQUE
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 08, 2010, 01:36 PM
Registered User
United Kingdom
Joined Feb 2005
1,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchiessCo View Post
I don't see the resemblance. Ms Richardson's character seems much more giggly and light hearted than the Red Queen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti4uW...layer_embedded
Oooh only in that scene - she's VERY spiteful and childish in that series!
ENGINETORQUE is offline Find More Posts by ENGINETORQUE
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 08, 2010, 02:00 PM
Chillin till SEFF
bildo baggins's Avatar
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,635 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENGINETORQUE View Post
But this one was a fair cop

What else floats?
bildo baggins is offline Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 08, 2010, 06:01 PM
Suspended Account
Mentor, OH
Joined Dec 2004
8,426 Posts
for those that haven't guessed it, the main character in The Hurt Locker became an adrenaline junkie. he needed that "rush". right from the get go, one realizes that this guy loves his job and does it for pure excitement. without making it painfully obvious, i think the director did fine job representing the main characters affliction(s).

as for the part with the taxi...that dude was AMP'd. he wanted to be in that type of situation and relished in the fact that he may have to do something very drastic. it really had nothing to do with the guy in the car being an insurgent or not.

there are few that discount the validity of this movie. all i have to say is...it's a movie about a EOD guy who is having a little trouble coping with his life.

as with all war movies, the director has "creative license". last movie that i saw that actually depicts what really happened is Blackhawk Down.
sgtdirt is offline Find More Posts by sgtdirt
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Landing Gear up or down? scigs30 Free Flight 10 Dec 21, 2009 03:55 PM
Discussion Thumbs Up / Thumbs Down-AirTronics RDS8000 8CH Gsquared08 Radios 3 Apr 18, 2008 06:46 PM
Idea brushless motor sub-forum!!! thumbs up/down xterarc Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models 6 Dec 03, 2005 12:41 PM
Balsarite (thumbs up or thumbs down?????) bigbear3721 The Builders Workshop 2 Aug 06, 2004 09:00 AM
Rant CLIC wing thumbs up, EDF 50 thumbs down Bernie Wolfard Foamies (Kits) 15 Oct 04, 2003 12:20 AM