SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 16, 2012, 07:04 AM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,726 Posts
Sounds like a fun movie for my age group at least. I can't help but feel it's been done tho
bildo baggins is online now Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Old Jun 16, 2012, 07:26 AM
I ♥ OpenTX
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,708 Posts
I just want to add my voice to the "Prometheus really sucked" choir.

And as for the "surgery" scene being scary, no, not really. It was in fact somewhat clinical and sterile. A nice precise straight cut by a frickin' laser, followed by easy vertical extraction of something that looks a little like a plush toy by one of those Lucky Dip grippers, followed by neat stitching and running around in our underwear.

Oh, and why the hell does the superfluous blonde-bimbo-with-daddy-issues character own a surgery machine programmed for men only, and why does she schlep it half-way across the universe on a quest to find The Meaning Of It All?
H2SO4 is online now Find More Posts by H2SO4
Old Jun 16, 2012, 07:34 AM
I'd rather be Flying
Nashville, NC, USA
Joined Mar 1999
2,896 Posts
While I really enjoyed Prometheus, I'll agree that the surgery scene sucked. It was simply too over the top and the newborn critter wasn't the least bit scarey. I'd assumed that the robotic surgery pod was brought along for daddy Wayland.

Dave
davecee is offline Find More Posts by davecee
Old Jun 16, 2012, 07:48 AM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,726 Posts
Ya, the magical surgery machine was for Daddy. At least that is my only logical conclusion. Not that it or much else was ever made clear or anything.

There seems to be that clearly defined line between those that liked it and those that hated it for sure. I am glad that some of the reviews I have seen after my assessment pretty much echo how I felt and pointed out the same issues. I thought maybe I was in a bad state of mind and had wasted my ticket price due to some chemical imbalance or something.

The Penny Arcade guys and links from their page to other reviews seem to be aligned with my views on it.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 01:00 AM
Холодная война все еще здесь.
Joined Aug 2003
1,669 Posts
I going the see it in 3D and I'm taking my brat.

I figure 3D might make it a bit better.

Plus we are doing lunch at the best Mexican restraunt I have found since we moved here... still not as good as what I have had in the past, but passable.
RCWorks is offline Find More Posts by RCWorks
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 17, 2012, 07:40 AM
Houston, TX, US
Joined Jun 2000
1,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bildo baggins View Post
I got booted from Prometheus Facebook page. I'm so bad
For being a Prometheus "hater?"
DaveG is offline Find More Posts by DaveG
Old Jun 17, 2012, 08:08 AM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,726 Posts
Ya

Others too

I am not typically a hater but some things are sacred
Old Jun 17, 2012, 08:28 AM
United States, ME, Ellsworth
Joined Dec 2006
10 Posts
My take on Prometheus. Going in, I did not have high expectations as prequels are rarely very good. Aliens being one of the few exceptions. When I go to movies, it is to escape into the story, so I try to suspend my analytical side as it always ruins the story for me. So I went merely hoping to be entertained for a couple of hours. I was.

Did 90% of the crews decisions make sense? NO. Purely a tool too commonly used to drive the story.

Did they ever explain why an ancient alien/human race who seeded planets with their DNA to create life would suddenly start developing biological weapons of mass destruction to destroy the life they created? NO.

My best guess is that the "all children want to see their parents die" motive from the movie bit them in the butt. One of their seeded worlds rose up and went to war with them, so they decided to destroy all their children, everywhere.

The medical pod for the old man being programmed only for men makes no sense. Again, just there to make the story more suspenseful.

But I did enjoy Charlize Therons portrayal of her character. I know some say her performance was too wooden, but that was the character. Think of the daughter of the most powerful, coldly calculating man on the planet. Probably a pretty emotionless, no-nonsense upbringing. The daughter is a stone cold B**ch and that was portrayed well I thought.
TheHud is offline Find More Posts by TheHud
Old Jun 17, 2012, 11:05 AM
Gravity-Compliant User
Nebraska USA
Joined Mar 2008
1,450 Posts
The box office take for Prometheus to date is about $75 million - not too shabby and rates a `thumbs-up' in the wallet-opening poll. And, it's expected to pull another $20 million today.

For all it's flaws, I still rate it a notch below Alien for all time best scifi's. Just the spectacle of the movie is worth the ticket. The use of Red Epic cameras and other quality technical movie making gear give the movie a commendable polish.

Yes, the Madagascar thing is drawing a bit more, but it isn't R rated and, for those who like to point out technical flaws in movies, the whole animals-can-talk thing kind of ruins it for me.
Zaurak3 is offline Find More Posts by Zaurak3
Old Jun 17, 2012, 11:07 AM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,726 Posts
I coulda wrote this movie sitting on the pot this morning
Old Jun 17, 2012, 11:13 AM
I ♥ OpenTX
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,708 Posts
I can just imagine Scott lazily grunting "more mouths" as he shambles past the workstation of the guy doing animation for that octopus thingy.
H2SO4 is online now Find More Posts by H2SO4
Old Jun 17, 2012, 11:15 AM
I'd rather be Flying
Nashville, NC, USA
Joined Mar 1999
2,896 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHud View Post
Did they ever explain why an ancient alien/human race who seeded planets with their DNA to create life would suddenly start developing biological weapons of mass destruction to destroy the life they created? NO
The sequel will answer our questions.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 11:16 AM
Gravity-Compliant User
Nebraska USA
Joined Mar 2008
1,450 Posts
Hey Bilbo, I could be completely wrong, and forgive me if I am, but from your last 70+ posts on this subject, I am beginning to get the impression that your enjoyment of this movie was less than absolutely stellar!
Zaurak3 is offline Find More Posts by Zaurak3
Old Jun 17, 2012, 11:18 AM
I'd rather be Flying
Nashville, NC, USA
Joined Mar 1999
2,896 Posts
Why the need to continue to carp about a movie you didn't like?
Old Jun 17, 2012, 11:21 AM
Houston, TX, US
Joined Jun 2000
1,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bildo baggins View Post
I coulda wrote this movie sitting on the pot this morning
Unfortunately, "Prometheus" is sounding more like just another Hollywood movie done by committee, with the emphasis on "gee...wow" special effects. As long as they can get in your wallet, they'll be happy. A lot of "show" and not enough "go."

"Prometheus" is at 73% favorable on Rotten Tomatoes, which is lower than what I recall it's initial weekend rating. It'll be interesting to see how "Prometheus" will be judged over time. At least it's not "Rock of Ages," or even worse, "That's My Boy."
DaveG is offline Find More Posts by DaveG