HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 12, 2012, 06:43 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsci_guy View Post
Ridley Scott said that this story stands alone.
It sure does

Quote:
Very clean store, good service, nice, fresh toppings, and the burger wasn't bad for a chain, especially for the price.
Exactly why I like the place. Consistently that way wherever I have been. I flippin LUV Whataburger tho
bildo baggins is offline Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Old Jun 12, 2012, 07:14 PM
Alarm Bells Continuing!
Arizona
Joined Oct 2001
276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bildo baggins View Post
WARNING! SPOILERS!

Here is my take on the movie. Unleashed and full of SPOILERS so do not read if you don't want to be tainted going in
Nice summary of most of the plot flaws, which keep this movie from being on par with Alien.

That said, we give it 4 out of 5, and thought it was very good in the look and feel department. Saw it in 3D and it looked terrific thoughout. Well worth seeing in a theater and not Redbox.

Anyone know how a voice box works without lungs?
Anyone know how planets at a random place a long ways away could be located using crude cave drawings?
Do they test the IQs of people hired to go on a very expensive trip?

There were only 12 people at the 1:10PM showing btw.
Big Foot 48 is online now Find More Posts by Big Foot 48
Last edited by Big Foot 48; Jun 12, 2012 at 08:34 PM.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 07:34 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,616 Posts
It looked fine, great even. Except for the low tech 4 wheelers and other mobile rides. Most of the ship looked way to sanitary to me. The creatures were too diverse in their presentation from one to the next. And the whole gestation methodology was bogus as well.

It looked great visually but didn't feel right to me. The acting/dialog as well as flow was sub par to say the least. Just a hot mess to me and that is probably, in part, due to expectations but given enough time and care to, I could blast specifics further I am sure
Old Jun 12, 2012, 07:57 PM
Houston, TX, US
Joined Jun 2000
1,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Foot 48 View Post
Anyone know how planets at a random place a long ways away could be located using crude cave drawings?
Remember the Betty and Barney Hill supposed alien abduction? Not that I would actually believe something like that but one or both of them claimed under hypnosis there was a star chart in the alien craft which included the aliens' home planet. I wonder if that had something to do with the movie's idea for star chart cave drawings, along with actual ancient cave drawings?
DaveG is offline Find More Posts by DaveG
Old Jun 12, 2012, 08:03 PM
Houston, TX, US
Joined Jun 2000
1,652 Posts
Courtesy of Google:

http://www.ufocasebook.com/Hill3.html

I've got to stop listening to late night AM radio before I start mumbling about FEMA camps.

I now return control of this thread back to "Prometheus."
Old Jun 12, 2012, 08:11 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,616 Posts
Quote:
I now return control of this thread back to "Prometheus."
It will be all over the place now
Old Jun 12, 2012, 08:33 PM
Houston, TX, US
Joined Jun 2000
1,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bildo baggins View Post
It will be all over the place now
Need to keep it "interesting." I'm tired of the other 90% of the LTUP threads, where it's just left vs. right, with nothing accomplished. It's like watching a microcosm of the Federal government, although they are accomplishing spending about the same number of dollars as there are miles to LV-223.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 08:43 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,616 Posts
Don't forget the underlying creator story in this movie
Old Jun 12, 2012, 09:56 PM
Houston, TX, US
Joined Jun 2000
1,652 Posts
You mean the alien "seeding" at the start of the movie?
Old Jun 12, 2012, 10:49 PM
Come to the guru you have.
United States, OK, Anadarko
Joined Aug 2003
1,626 Posts
Whats the next big SciFi summer movie???

In and Out is probably as good as it get for a burger unless you find an upscale sit down place like Knowlwoods... and it used to be an outdoor real grilled over charcoal burger. Not any more. They yuppied it up... I have not cared for it as much since. Knowlwoods has expanded to 2 or 3 locations, all in Orange County ,CA.

For the more sophisticated eater there was Hamburger Hamlet which has hit hard times but still has a few locations. I liked to go there when I was racing and not touching as much red meat... The French Onion Soup, and a BBQ Turkey Burger. Their menu was like 20+ different burgers including a "Peanut Butter Burger", yes peanut butter on a hamburger... Never tried it.

But for the down and dirty there was always the Original Tommy's Chili Burger. Junk food bliss.

If BBQ is your style and your cheap... Texas BBQ, corner of Artisia and Woodruff in bellflower will fix you up with chopped BBQ sanwiches, don't let the asian owners fool you, this place was setup by a guy who knew BBQ and they made ZERO changes to the food.

Lou's BBQ in Huntington Beach if your not shy about spending.

If your heading to So. Cal check one of those places out.
RCWorks is offline Find More Posts by RCWorks
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: HobbyCNC ProBoard...
Old Jun 12, 2012, 11:26 PM
Gravity is patient............
Joined Mar 2006
1,907 Posts
I just got back from Prometheus. I liked the film but I understand why some have a problem with it.

For me it was a fun horror film, with lots of interesting story lines.

The big problem for me was the decision making ability of the characters in the film which was just rock stupid. Why do people in movies lack any critical thinking skills at all? It's a crutch by hollywood writers to create tension. It's a shortcut used all the time, and particularly irritating in this movie. I mean these people are just flat out the dumbest collection of astronauts ever assembled. The captain was the only intelligent character in the film and he had a minor part. Very frustrating aspect of the film and I expected more from the writers.

But all in all a fun movie to go see on the big screen. And, the scene in the automated surgery canister was one of the most brutally scary moments in film history imo. Just gut wrenching, pun intended. Reason enough to go see this movie.
billyd60 is offline Find More Posts by billyd60
Old Jun 12, 2012, 11:45 PM
Come to the guru you have.
United States, OK, Anadarko
Joined Aug 2003
1,626 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyd60 View Post
But all in all a fun movie to go see on the big screen. And, the scene in the automated surgery canister was one of the most brutally scary moments in film history imo. Just gut wrenching, pun intended. Reason enough to go see this movie.
That was the best scene in the movie.

To close to reality of a hospital, get the kid out quick and send it and the broad home... on her feet in seconds... I can see the health insurance companies want to use this as a model....
RCWorks is offline Find More Posts by RCWorks
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: HobbyCNC ProBoard...
Old Jun 13, 2012, 03:15 PM
Alarm Bells Continuing!
Arizona
Joined Oct 2001
276 Posts
There's a nice thread of "1000 Things We Learned in Prometheus" going on over at IMDB. A sample:

153. When launching a trillion dollar voyage, make sure you bring loud-mouthed, immature morons without respect or discipline, who immediately decide to turn back as soon as a single discovery is made, who then proceed to party with black-goo alien man-eating worms.

154. When going into an unknown ancient alien structure, always be sure to deny everyone from ever bringing weapons, because it's a SCIENCE mission.

155. When approaching a giant, intelligent unknown alien life form who has been asleep for 2000 years, be sure not to waste your trillions of dollars on more than 1 useless flamethrower.

156. When you have just performed a major surgical manual operation on yourself while you're awake, ripping out a rapidly-growing, dangerous, unknown squid-like creature from your uterus, just leave it there and tell no one of your experience. Act totally normal, hopefully the janitor will clean it up.

162. An axe is standard equipment on spaceships of the future.

164. If you're an old man worth trillions of dollars, have a crew of 17 humans and one android instead of a whole army of androids to check out an alien installation.

165. If you're an elderly man on the verge of death and have been convinced by two young scientists that they can help you obtain the answers to the universe, idly let your pet android use said scientists as guinea pigs for no apparent reason after just a few hours of searching around.

166. Don't have any actual guinea pigs on board.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1446714/...200239682?p=19
Big Foot 48 is online now Find More Posts by Big Foot 48
Old Jun 13, 2012, 03:38 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,616 Posts
I'm not the only one
Old Jun 13, 2012, 03:40 PM
Houston, TX, US
Joined Jun 2000
1,652 Posts
Great list. Oh well, "Prometheus" can't be anywhere as bad as "The Eagle." Finally saw it on Direct over the weekend. That was a mistake. I kept watching it hoping it was going to get better. What an abortion. It was as if it was the product of some whacked out Hollywood types who thought it would be cool to do "Braveheart" meets "Gladiator" meets "Last of the Mohicans" with the worst actors, script writers, and director that could be found. I should have switched over to "Howard the Duck."