I agree. A decent movie, but not great.
Charleze Theron was great!
Michael in Toronto is online now Find More Posts by Michael in Toronto
Old Jun 10, 2012, 03:38 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,638 Posts
Charlize was a tertiary character at best IMO.
bildo baggins is offline Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Old Jun 10, 2012, 04:02 PM
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bildo baggins View Post
Charlize was a tertiary character at best IMO.
Could hardly see the point of her character - and, whilst looking fine, her character acting was rather wooden, I thought..
Norman Adlam is online now Find More Posts by Norman Adlam
Old Jun 10, 2012, 04:04 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,638 Posts
Agreed. She was there for name recognition only. The young scientist chick did a fair job and was hotter IMO. At least when wearing the gauze bandages
Old Jun 11, 2012, 12:06 PM
Have Guitar Will Travel
The Digital Domain
Joined Nov 2008
1,367 Posts
Quote:
Well my predicted rating of Prometheus was way off!

OMG it sucked! Had next to no redeeming qualities and I regret seeing it and paying to see it. I am embarrassed for Scott and can see now, why he wanted to distance it from the franchise.
????

Although there has been mixed responses, the average user rating of this movie has been 4/5.
Here's an excerpt from Hollywood.com's review of the movie.
(they usually take great pleasure in tearing apart movies)

"Widening the thematic scope without sacrificing too much of the claustrophobia that made the original 1979 Alien universally spooky, Prometheus takes the trophy for this summer's most adult-oriented blockbuster entertainment. The movie with leave your mouth agape for its entire runtime, first with its majestic exploration of an alien planet and conjectures on the origins of the human race, second with its gross-out body horror that leaves no spilled gut to the imagination. Thin characters feel more like pawns in Scott's sci-fi prequel, but stunning visuals, shocking turns and grand questions more than make up the shallow ensemble. "Epic" comes in many forms. Prometheus sports all of them."

I'll be sure to see this flick in IMAX 3D.
TravisBean is offline Find More Posts by TravisBean
Old Jun 11, 2012, 12:26 PM
Gravity is patient............
Joined Mar 2006
1,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in Toronto View Post
Charleze Theron was great!
Agree 100% her performance made the film. Too bad the other performances weren't on her level....

And as far as who the fairest of them all was, the evil queen blew away ole beaver teeth. It wasn't close. That was another minor quibble. Snow white is supposed to be better looking than the evil queen. Woops.
billyd60 is offline Find More Posts by billyd60
Old Jun 11, 2012, 01:27 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,638 Posts
I have a fan review that pretty much echoes exactly how I saw the movie. I didn't post as it was too specific but he hit it dead on
Old Jun 11, 2012, 02:12 PM
Borders, language & culture
United States, TN, Maryville
Joined Jun 2001
213 Posts
Saw prometheus last night and it was top notch. the young bandaged girl is the same girl that played the dragon tatoo girl. Theron looked hot but was too wooden. Great story and graphix.
AintQytRite is online now Find More Posts by AintQytRite
Old Jun 11, 2012, 03:38 PM
Dave?
Joined Aug 2003
1,626 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
"Prometheus" review:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/rev...sbender-330414

Well... if you like "Alien"....... maybe, we'll see.
Seen it last night in the comfort of my living room... 32" screen. Dolby 5.1

Most of it dragged, there was maybe 20 minutes of good movie in it and that was at the end and then it left you hanging for the sequel.

Maybe it would be better on the big screen.
RCWorks is offline Find More Posts by RCWorks
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: HobbyCNC ProBoard...
Old Jun 11, 2012, 03:45 PM
Figure Nine Champ
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,276 Posts
Some kid in Australia got a seizure from seeing it.
madsci_guy is online now Find More Posts by madsci_guy
Old Jun 11, 2012, 04:04 PM
Dave?
Joined Aug 2003
1,626 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsci_guy View Post
Some kid in Australia got a seizure from seeing it.
He was lucky, I may be a bit jaded on scifi. I didn't think it was up to the quality of Alien for suspense.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 11, 2012, 04:57 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,638 Posts
I am looking forward to a consensus on this one. I can't help but believe I was in a bad mood or something.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 06:04 PM
Dave?
Joined Aug 2003
1,626 Posts
Quote:
I am looking forward to a consensus on this one. I can't help but believe I was in a bad mood or something.
Alien... Bay Theater, San Francisco... I waited through 3 showings to get in the theater. The movie was well done, you could not look away, a trip to the snack bar was out of the question. The story and plot were well done, most of the gore was percieved because it was to dark to see it. You never knew when the next crew member would be lost. but you did know it was going to be quick.

This venture was predictable the story sounded ok, but the script seemed to be a bit weak on suspense and surprise. Not nearly as good as his first work. Too much FX, not enought good script.

Review by Atilla, It seems a bit ruthless but I didn't think it was near as good as the hype. I recall Mr. Scott said "My goal is to scare the out of you.". Well the wife did not need a pooper scooper for the living room, I was so looking forward to it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 11, 2012, 06:08 PM
I'd rather be Flying
Nashville, NC, USA
Joined Mar 1999
2,793 Posts
I posted this in the Prometheus trailer thread, thought I'd post a copy here.

No prequel or sequel can capture what Alien gave us. It was new and completely unexpected and fascinating. Aliens was a completely different movie and I actually like it better than Alien. I'll have to agree with some of the criticisms that are posted here about Prometheus. Some of the creature scenes were not up to par with the original two films. The C-section scene especially was way over the top. The killing off of the two stragglers was campy at best. In a movie of this type I'll not quibble about character development of the minor roles. I liked the movie in spite of these and other faults such as, "one half billion miles", the distance traveled to this star system when a light year is about 6 trillion miles. The plot line was enough to keep me interested. Earth is seeded by DNA from a spacefaring species, then visited more than once in Mankinds childhood to give us clues about their location. We discover they are human, or humans are them. Why did they birth us and then wish to destroy us with bioweapons? I'm already looking forward to the sequel.

Dave
davecee is online now Find More Posts by davecee
Old Jun 11, 2012, 06:26 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,638 Posts
WARNING! SPOILERS!

Here is my take on the movie. Unleashed and full of SPOILERS so do not read if you don't want to be tainted going in

Prometheus

The movie started out with an absolutely stunning view of another world complete with raging falls and a rather large, perfect physical specimen, humanoid character in his underwear. Later we find out this guy, or one like him, is the famed Space Jockey from the first/best Alien movie. He walks up to the precipice of the falls stares up at a huge disk shaped ship hovering above, drinks a potion of sorts from an overly techno cup and proceeds to dissolve from within, ultimately falling into the falls. That's the last time we see or here from him or find out why he did what he did or who was in the big ship hovering above. Broken plot line, at least for him.

Cut scene to scientist/geologist types in a cave, somewhere in Scotland I believe, who find cave drawings that reflect a system somewhere out there in space. Same stuff found in other places all over the world and from differing times during history, so naturally Mr. Weyland decides this must mean our creators are waiting for us out there and want us to come visit. "Awesome!", he says, let me finance a deep space journey to go say, "What's up cave drawing guys?"

He picks a mishmash of differing characters that don't seem qualified or worthy of such an endeavor, one of which is his daughter, and sets out on his mission to meet the creators or engineers as they call them. Nobody seems to know that he is on board, frozen in stasis, and for whatever reason, based on evidence not obvious to me, he believes they can make him live forever.

They arrive at the planet that is reflected in these cave drawings and find several dome like structures which they immediately go about exploring. This is when I started thinking, "Heck yeah! Finally, something worthwhile is gonna happen." It didn't. They stroll around the Alien themed interior for what seems like an eternity and run across remains of the big Space Jockey guys and somehow trigger a hologram replay of those guys running from something. Horribly done graphics btw on this part. Also, since the air appears to be breathable as per instruments, they all pull their helmets off, regardless of whatever else bugs and viruses that may be present. What a joke I thought but then I said "Heck yeah! Face hugger time!" It wasn't

They finally open a big door that reveals what is obviously thousands upon thousands of containers that must be holding something horrible. They just appear oblivious to that possibility and it seems that everyone is compelled to either stick their faces really close to these containers or actually stick their fingers in the ooze that is now being secreted from them. Ridiculousness continues.

One dude gets infected and of course this turns on his hottie scientist girlfriend who can't wait to get impregnated by him. He has little worms crawling in and out of his eyeballs but evidently it doesn't concern him enough to report that fact to anyone. When a storm comes in the formulaic big hurry this prompts a mass exodus from the domes and mad rush to outrun the approaching storm. What follows is more ridiculousness trying to recover the Space Jockey head that bobbles out just as they reach the safety of the ship. A lot of crazy, being blown about by the winds and floating through the air as the android dood winches them back aboard in a totally implausible way.

Then we find out that the two geologists that chickened out earlier, actually got lost, even with the way advanced technology of the "puppies" that one of them brought along that have mapped and explored the entire facility at his disposal. (Dumb) These two guys are like the Keystone Cops and can't resist exploring the place further, even though they clearly were spooked earlier. In the process they run across a new version of the Alien which is basically a bionic eel capable of snapping arms off. The one guy thinks it cute, even though it appears to be a cobra in a striking pose and clearly not friendly. It strikes at him several times but he goes back for more and ultimately ends up getting an eel down the the throat. I applauded the eel. Earlier his buddy tried to cut it off and the acid blood melted through his helmet and offed him as well. the severed head regrew miraculously in maybe a second and a half. Pffft

The scientist chick that got impregnated earlier had a self induced abortion assisted by the super surgery machine that the old dude brought along. The fetus was a squid. Nuff said

I just can't write anymore. maybe I'm dumb and didn't get it, if there was indeed a decent and masterful plot, I totally missed it. This movie was not worth the time I spent writing this and if there does happen to be a sequel, which they indeed setup, it will be Redboxed if that.

Total FAIL

Edit: Because I can't not include the senseless obligatory Space Jockey 20 amp head explosion. What was that about?