SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 21, 2010, 03:42 PM
Have Guitar Will Travel
The Digital Domain
Joined Nov 2008
1,369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana_Geoff View Post
The Tourist blows chunks. No reason to see it. Not one.
Quote:
The Tourist is rather empty and cosmetic. It's worth seeing if you're a superfan of Jolie or Depp, but don't expect to walk out of the theater with anything more than the stub you came in with.
Hollywood.com rated this film 1 1/2 stars.
That's pretty awful.
TravisBean is offline Find More Posts by TravisBean
Old Dec 24, 2010, 07:11 PM
Huntington Beach
Joined Aug 2000
728 Posts
Just saw True Grit this afternoon; very good. I read the book years and funny thing was much of the dialogue came right back; the script must have been taken right out of the book. The girl who played Matty was great and Bridges nailed Rooster. I really enjoyed it and hope some of you do also.
Buran is offline Find More Posts by Buran
Old Dec 24, 2010, 09:55 PM
I'd rather be Flying
Nashville, NC, USA
Joined Mar 1999
2,809 Posts
I saw True Grit tonight. While a good movie, and I'm sure more true to the book, I was a little disappointed that I didn't get quite the emotional response that the John Wayne version brought out in me. I can't make a judgement as to which version is the "better" film, both are good in a different way. I'd certainly recommend it.

Dave
davecee is offline Find More Posts by davecee
Old Dec 24, 2010, 10:06 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,638 Posts
One question on True Grit. Did they add too much cursing, nudity or other socially unacceptable content? Is it 13 year old safe?
bildo baggins is offline Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Old Dec 24, 2010, 10:06 PM
Hi ya! Car ride!?
Portage La Prairie, Manitoba Canada
Joined Sep 2003
733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecee View Post
I saw True Grit tonight. While a good movie, and I'm sure more true to the book, I was a little disappointed that I didn't get quite the emotional response that the John Wayne version brought out in me. I can't make a judgement as to which version is the "better" film, both are good in a different way. I'd certainly recommend it.

Dave
How's the swearing? There's extremely little in the book other than an s o b or two such as when Rooster is about to charge Ned Pepper, saying "fill your hand you s o b" and maybe one use of the unmarried parentage term. Any more than the book and I won't be able to show it in class.
Sport Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Sport Flyer
Old Dec 24, 2010, 10:07 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,638 Posts
Funny. Posted same time
Old Dec 24, 2010, 11:56 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bildo baggins View Post
One question on True Grit. Did they add too much cursing, nudity or other socially unacceptable content? Is it 13 year old safe?
Asimple google search would tell you.
eckace1 is offline Find More Posts by eckace1
Old Dec 25, 2010, 01:17 AM
Scotland
Joined Sep 2009
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA5BY View Post
Like you, I'm agnostic. My wife and her two children and the grandkids are evangelicals. I get the issue about magic and spells but Narnia had all that so I'm not getting the difference between the two unless Harry Potter doesn't show that goodness wins in the end.
Narnia author C.S. Lewis was a famous Christian appologist. His novel "Mere Christianity" is a favourite in Christian bookstores.
mortato is offline Find More Posts by mortato
Old Dec 25, 2010, 08:11 AM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,638 Posts
I trust you guys more than the google machine
Old Dec 25, 2010, 11:23 AM
Hi ya! Car ride!?
Portage La Prairie, Manitoba Canada
Joined Sep 2003
733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckace1 View Post
Asimple google search would tell you.
In making the original Wayne was very concerned with making the movie family friendly. I've seen No Country For Old Men and am less than confident the Cohen bros will concern themselves in the same way Wayne did. But I did try that simple Google search as suggested and it told me that the actress who played Mattie Ross established a swear job on set to help keep the on-set cursing down -- not really the info I'm looking for.

I'm thinking someone here who saw the movie should be able to make a pretty fair and easy comment on the subject and save me from having to sort through all that unwanted stuff that came up on that simple Google search.

But thanks for your input and Merry Christmas to you and yours.
Sport Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Sport Flyer
Old Dec 25, 2010, 01:08 PM
Huntington Beach
Joined Aug 2000
728 Posts
I don't recall any swearing. I think the PG13 is from the knife work with Ned's guys in the cabin; maybe the dead guy in the forest.
Buran is offline Find More Posts by Buran
Old Dec 25, 2010, 02:16 PM
I'd rather be Flying
Nashville, NC, USA
Joined Mar 1999
2,809 Posts
It's rated PG-13 for "some intense sequences of western violence including disturbing images".
I didn't notice any swearing except for the famous "fill your hand" line.

Dave
davecee is offline Find More Posts by davecee
Old Dec 25, 2010, 02:20 PM
Like a Boss
Canada, BC, Whistler
Joined Jun 2006
2,130 Posts
Went out and saw Tron, not too bad, id say its better than the first, id give it 3.5 out of 5.
Heliman420 is offline Find More Posts by Heliman420
Old Dec 25, 2010, 09:31 PM
Quincy IL
Joined Jul 2006
506 Posts
If you don't understand "Clockwork Orange" you need to watch Monty Python's "Search for the Holy Grail".

Had a Brit friend explain Clockwork was a satire on the English social system. It all made sense then!
Hugh P is offline Find More Posts by Hugh P
Old Dec 25, 2010, 11:22 PM
29 rods from you in western WI
Joined Jan 2003
4,885 Posts
Little Fockers was good. Sold out show at 7 pm on Christmas day.
Karl Bē is offline Find More Posts by Karl Bē