HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by deckert, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 12:52 AM
Plowin Dirt
USA, WA, Benton City
Joined Oct 2007
1,548 Posts
Discussion
Chipmunk 90S

For an ARF kit, this thing has been a pain. It's an out of production Chipmunk from World Models with mechanical retracts. One of the guys at the club donated it and I, stupidly enough, offered to build it. I figured what the heck, I've never built a gasser before, how hard can it be? As I do all electric, I found out getting the motor in and making the cowl cutouts is taking me as much time as it does to throw an electric ARF kit together, and I'm still not done. Thank God for the old timers in the club to give me advice on some steps needed to get this done and supply some materials here and there. I spent 4 hours on the cowl today just getting the layout, unfortunately, it won't slide on because of the head height and the prop shaft length. I guess another trip is order for more advice. As Rosanna Rosanna Rodana from the old SNL used to say, "If it ain't this, it's that, if it's not one thing it's another." Truer words were never spoken, at least concerning this build.

On the plus side, I'm just building it to raffle off to raise funds for the club. My LHS offered to let me hang it up in the store so we can sell tickets for it. It's a beauty. It's got a 64" WS and will weigh in around 7~7.5 lbs powered with a 65 Magnum, Futaba 3004 servos thru-out and a JR88 retract servo. It'll just be an add your battery and rcvr. trim it with your tx and go fly. Maybe I'll finally win a gasser from the club, I've lost out on the last 4. You know I'm going to buy some tickets, again.

Dan
deckert is offline Find More Posts by deckert
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Transmissions for planes
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2009, 10:24 AM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
United States, NE, Doniphan
Joined Feb 2005
7,845 Posts
Sounds like a pain in the butt man! But, at least its a good cause. So, you have to feel good in knowing someone will enjoy the heck out of your hard work.

Laine.
lmopar69 is online now Find More Posts by lmopar69
Old Dec 13, 2009, 03:50 PM
Plowin Dirt
USA, WA, Benton City
Joined Oct 2007
1,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmopar69 View Post
Sounds like a pain in the butt man! But, at least its a good cause. So, you have to feel good in knowing someone will enjoy the heck out of your hard work.

Laine.
I told one of the old timers I'm totally unable to get inside the tank area to coat it for fuel. His reply was, "Don't worry about it, the new owner will make it a bag of sticks before the fuel hurts it." Ah, to be that wise. I guess I'll have to not worry about the work and time. BUT, if it goes in, I want to see it and it better be a pile driver.

Dan
deckert is offline Find More Posts by deckert
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Transmissions for planes