HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 12, 2009, 08:14 PM
Joined May 2009
380 Posts
Discussion
leaf blower fan for tip controls?

In another post somewhere the idea of using a leaf blower fan came up. I'm not really familiar with what/how the fan differs from EDF, but I do know it creates pressure not pure airspeed. That sounds like a centifigul pump to me.

The big question is can we use a small "pressure" fan to feed wingtip control jets? With pressure there aren't huge penalties for moving the air around like a EDF with a duct. Anyone have any thoughts?
davidgp is offline Find More Posts by davidgp
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2009, 01:02 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgp View Post
...The big question is can we use a small "pressure" fan to feed wingtip control jets?...
For a Harrier I doubt you can get a centrifugal fan small enough to fit in a wing tip and still be effective. The only other place I can think of would be above the main engine. This would need an unsightly hole in the top of the model and the weight of the extra motor and fan may outweigh any benefit.

I'd like to see it tried though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleplex View Post
A lot of the toy RC hovercraft have a 1/2" tall centrifugal fan...
Nice idea. Would be interesting to see if this would create more pressure than straight bleed air.
RCvertt is offline Find More Posts by RCvertt
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Dec 13, 2009 at 10:27 PM.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 08:35 PM
It's a really big number.
Brisbane Intl, Australia
Joined Jan 2001
1,315 Posts
A lot of the toy RC hovercraft have a 1/2" tall centrifugal fan (about 2.5" in diam) that pumps a lot of air when attached to a speed 300 class motor. You could perhaps sqeeze one of them into the wing and have the spun air squeeze down to a small outlet.
Googleplex is offline Find More Posts by Googleplex
Old Dec 14, 2009, 01:33 AM
Joined Oct 2004
2,726 Posts
I have been thinking about this setup in the past and believe it could work. Ideally, I'd use a large box spar doubling as air conduit, and run the fan with a cdrom type outrunner driving the fan from the intake side, with the intake facing downwards to pick air from the scale intakes. This should keep things looking close to scale, and keep the outrunner cool as a bonus. Also, another conduit could be run to the tail to act as a pitch control. Naturally, you'd have to use valves on the tips or at the base of the conduits to control the jet, since the same fan would control all the tip jets
Brandano is offline Find More Posts by Brandano
Old Dec 14, 2009, 11:20 PM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,874 Posts
I had thought about the hollow spar for my F_35 project but had not thought about a fan from a hover craft. Do you know of any place that would have parts?
Mike
motorhead is offline Find More Posts by motorhead
Old Dec 14, 2009, 11:48 PM
Bay Area, CA
Joined Sep 2007
1,162 Posts
fish tank air compressors looks tempting !! Hard to find a lighter one with a useful psi rating though...
numb_thumb is offline Find More Posts by numb_thumb
Last edited by numb_thumb; Dec 14, 2009 at 11:53 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 01:55 AM
Joined Oct 2004
2,726 Posts
larger disk = higher pressure. Also, angling the fins backward relative to the flow increases pressure and decreases volume. Small handheld vacuum cleaners could be a source, but you really want to look for a largish disk. you could probably build one out of balsa and plywood, like they used to do for the early homemade turbines. the fishtank pumps are way too inefficient to even consider, IMO
Brandano is offline Find More Posts by Brandano