HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 12, 2009, 03:03 PM
israel
Joined Jun 2003
865 Posts
Discussion
2.4 Mhz amplifier

Hi all
Can I use this amplifier to boost 2.4 Mhz modules??
http://cgi.ebay.com/Internet-1W-30DB...item3a5594cf09

Have a nice day
moti is online now Find More Posts by moti
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 12, 2009, 06:24 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,115 Posts
I do hope not.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Dec 12, 2009, 07:29 PM
USA
Joined Sep 2003
967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
I do hope not.
I'm with you.
Perhaps a failsafe will occur -- such as instant smoke.
onewasp is offline Find More Posts by onewasp
Old Dec 12, 2009, 07:37 PM
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2006
6,794 Posts
You could, given the right cable adapters... but why? It's not going to give you a great deal more range, because 2.4GHz is pretty strictly line-of-sight at long ranges anyway.
Andrew McGregor is offline Find More Posts by Andrew McGregor
Old Dec 12, 2009, 08:29 PM
Sunnyvale, CA, USA
Joined Apr 2000
1,759 Posts
To quote Jurassic Park - just because you can does not mean you should
teamdavey is offline Find More Posts by teamdavey
Old Dec 12, 2009, 08:48 PM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
USA, AR, Cave Springs
Joined Apr 2005
3,042 Posts
If you're wanting to boost 2.4Mhz I would highly recommend this unit. I had one, loved it, wish I never sold it.

Hope that helps.

-Jay
CyberJay is online now Find More Posts by CyberJay
Old Dec 12, 2009, 09:01 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,652 Posts
Yes you could likely use it. You would need to test it and range test it though to be sure.
It might have some charateristics where it might broadcast on a wider range say several channels. But it is hard to say until one tries it out.
If you were in the USA it would be illegal to do so though. Albeit they let them use it for WiFi indoors, it is illegal for RC users to use it on their TX's.
I do not know if it is illegal in your country for RC purposes or not though.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 12, 2009, 09:53 PM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,444 Posts
I have heard of guys using something similar to boost their range for long range FPV flights...but again its illegal in the US.
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: maxford Nieuport 1/5th Scale
Old Dec 12, 2009, 11:13 PM
Joined Jun 2006
6,794 Posts
No, it is NOT illegal in the US. That depends on what antenna you use, and there are plenty of legal choices. It's not even a bad idea, just rather pointless.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 07:43 AM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
USA, AR, Cave Springs
Joined Apr 2005
3,042 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew McGregor View Post
No, it is NOT illegal in the US. That depends on what antenna you use, and there are plenty of legal choices. It's not even a bad idea, just rather pointless.
Wow seems like you're right.. I didn't search for all that long, but I did find a couple articles indicating that WiFi networks can use up to 1watt legally.. which is what this amplifier claims to put out.

Given my experience with amateur radio amplifiers, and more to the point cheap chinese CB radio amplifiers there is NO WAY I would use an amp on my model airplanes without somebody with a lot more experience than me to look at the signal and make sure it is clean.

-Jay
Old Dec 13, 2009, 08:56 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,652 Posts
Well, when I went to research it, I only found where the FCC stated that 2.4ghz spread spectrum transmitters were limited to 1 watt output max. The FCC did mention some "Any" transmitters that were limited to a mv/m standard, but I don't know how that translates to mw yet.
But in Europe RC transmitters are limited to 100mw max output. So it is doubtful, if a manufacturer that is building TX's for other than the USA market, would have their TX's output more than 100mw too.

A 100mw is good for about 1 mile line of sight range. So for normal RC airplane purposes that should be more than adequate. Some TX's output even less power such as the Park flyer type TX's, maybe 1mw to 10mw output.

But if you are flying FPV planes beyond your flying field, you might want more range though. The problem with 2.4ghz is it is a line of sight system, if the plane cannot maintain a direct line between the TX and RX without objects blocking the view, you are at risk of the plane losing the control signals. A nice big tree with lots of leaves can block the signal.

The problem with that 1w amplifier is that we don't know if it would be like those cheap 2.4ghz wire video systems that tend to take over 3/4's of the 2.4ghz spectrum with their video signal, jamming everything else out. We have had reports of people having their flying fields being rendered unusable near a home development because of some sort of interference with the airplanes.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 13, 2009, 10:02 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,746 Posts
Remember, that it takes 4 times the power to double the range. But, when you increase power, you also increase the possibility for spurious emissions. These really cheap, non-FCC approved, devices coming out of China can (and do) reak havoc on 2.4GHz R/C control systems.
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 13, 2009, 02:01 PM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberJay View Post
If you're wanting to boost 2.4Mhz I would highly recommend this unit. I had one, loved it, wish I never sold it.

Hope that helps.

-Jay
Jay, this brings an image to mind from Back to the Future I. I picture Doc Brown with one of those Heathkits strapped on his back and his mental telepathy headset as the antenna, flying an RC plane
Just curious, but would an old linear amp of that vintage work at 2.4Gigawatts, er, I mean Herz, or more correctly in 1955 speak Gigacycles
Cheers,
Pete
pilotpete2 is offline Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old Dec 13, 2009, 02:07 PM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
USA, AR, Cave Springs
Joined Apr 2005
3,042 Posts
I'm not sure about the history of the EM spectrum... I'm sure 2.4Ghz was a known frequency back then but I don't know how much it was used. That amp I posted works from 500Khz up to about 30Mhz.

I did a google search for 2 minutes and couldn't find anything.. Searching for 2.4Ghz tube amps.. I kinda doubt it, but who knows.

-Jay
Old Dec 13, 2009, 05:32 PM
Joined Jun 2006
6,794 Posts
You can do a 2.4GHz tube amp, using something called a travelling wave tube, or a maser amplifier. But they tend to have kilowatts of output power....