SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 26, 2009, 12:49 PM
Team Hacker
Vancouver BC Canada
Joined Jul 2006
1,169 Posts
Weight Comparison

For the moment my forward progress is halted until my batteries arrive from Hobby City. Once I have the batteries then I can test the CG and build the battery tray. The 4 x 6S 5800 mAh FlightMax batteries (30C) will weigh around 3350g (7.4 lbs) so the battery tray is going to need to be well anchored.

I was thinking that my Extra will likely be heavier than the equivalent equipped with a DA-100 which is OK for IMAC. I did some calculations.

Hacker A100 1815 g (64 oz)
Jeti 200 270 g (9.5 oz)
4 x 6S 5800 mAh batteries 3352 g (118 oz)

Total 5437 g (191.5 oz, 12 lbs)

DA-100L 2530 g (89 oz)
Greve Pipes 510 g (18 oz)
Ignition Module 108 g (3.8 oz)
Ignition Battery 200 g (7 oz)
Servo 65 g (2.3 oz)
32 oz fuel + tank 907 g (32 oz)

Total 4320 g (152 oz, 9.5 lbs)

It should be interesting to compare the actual finished weight against other gas models but as the moment it is looking like it is going to be about 2.5 lbs heavier. I could save almost a pound by using 25C 6S 5000 mAh batteries. but I want to make sure that I have enough battery for windy IMAC contests.
Geoff Dryer is offline Find More Posts by Geoff Dryer
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2009, 08:38 PM
Where is that remote?
Wildomar, California, United States
Joined Sep 2004
487 Posts
That's a good comparison, you could add the ignition cut off and ignition switch weight, but that's not much.
lazyboyflyer is offline Find More Posts by lazyboyflyer
Old Dec 26, 2009, 09:44 PM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Aug 2004
9,468 Posts
you could also add the weight of the motor box because it does need to be stronger than the electric, not to mention fuel proofing and any other regulators
rcbirk21 is offline Find More Posts by rcbirk21
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Joe's Battery Contraption
Old Dec 27, 2009, 11:38 AM
Team Hacker
Vancouver BC Canada
Joined Jul 2006
1,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbirk21 View Post
you could also add the weight of the motor box because it does need to be stronger than the electric, not to mention fuel proofing and any other regulators
The plywood motor box that I built was about 300g (10.5 oz). This was about the same weight as the bag of parts that comes with the plane to mount the DA-100. The Smart-Fly components and A123 batteries that I am using would be the same for a gas plane. Any other components required for gas are pretty light unless I am overlooking something.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 11:44 AM
Delta, BC Canada
Joined Oct 2009
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Dryer View Post
The plywood motor box that I built was about 300g (10.5 oz). This was about the same weight as the bag of parts that comes with the plane to mount the DA-100. The Smart-Fly components and A123 batteries that I am using would be the same for a gas plane. Any other components required for gas are pretty light unless I am overlooking something.
Add in the weight of fuel and you will be closer,,,,,,,
Scotte 540 is offline Find More Posts by Scotte 540
Old Dec 28, 2009, 12:00 PM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Jan 2003
4,750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotte 540 View Post
Add in the weight of fuel and you will be closer,,,,,,,
I think he did. He had a 32oz fuel tank in the list weighing 32oz.
Close enough for quick weight comparisons.
remember 1 fluid oz of gasoline does not weigh 1 oz. So using 32oz as what the 32 fluid oz fuel tank weighs; There is a little extra room for the hardware that the tank is made from.
Rick
RiBell is online now Find More Posts by RiBell
Old Dec 28, 2009, 02:27 PM
Team Hacker
Vancouver BC Canada
Joined Jul 2006
1,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiBell View Post
I think he did. He had a 32oz fuel tank in the list weighing 32oz.
Close enough for quick weight comparisons.
remember 1 fluid oz of gasoline does not weigh 1 oz. So using 32oz as what the 32 fluid oz fuel tank weighs; There is a little extra room for the hardware that the tank is made from.
Rick
Per Rick's note I did include the weight of gas.

I see a new thread has started on a conversion of a 40% Carden Cap. I find it very interesting as he is starting by removing the DA-150 and the rest of the gas components.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1165315
Old Jan 05, 2010, 10:05 AM
Where is that remote?
Wildomar, California, United States
Joined Sep 2004
487 Posts
Geoff, any up dates on your project? Have you flown it yet? Final weight?
lazyboyflyer is offline Find More Posts by lazyboyflyer
Old Jan 05, 2010, 10:27 AM
Team Hacker
Vancouver BC Canada
Joined Jul 2006
1,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyboyflyer View Post
Geoff, any up dates on your project? Have you flown it yet? Final weight?
I am on hold waiting for batteries. They should arrive in the middle of the month.

On the weekend I lost a plane due to radio interference on 72 Mhz so I have been musing about moving to 2.4 Ghz. I already have the 2.4 module for my JR 9303 but I am thinking about the Hitec Aurora 9. The built in telemetry and other features of the Aurora make it pretty appealing. Also when I did the math to purchase all the required receivers that I would need it was cheaper to go with the Aurora.

Anyone have any first hand experience with the Hitec Aurora?
Old Jan 05, 2010, 12:54 PM
Epic Huckin'
Surrey, BC
Joined Jun 2007
2,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Dryer View Post
I am on hold waiting for batteries. They should arrive in the middle of the month.

On the weekend I lost a plane due to radio interference on 72 Mhz so I have been musing about moving to 2.4 Ghz. I already have the 2.4 module for my JR 9303 but I am thinking about the Hitec Aurora 9. The built in telemetry and other features of the Aurora make it pretty appealing. Also when I did the math to purchase all the required receivers that I would need it was cheaper to go with the Aurora.

Anyone have any first hand experience with the Hitec Aurora?
If you get the Aurora let us know how it goes. It was my first but with the company delays i went for the dx7 instead. I dont mind the reciever prices as the Spektrum full range RX vs Hitec RX pices are like 15-20 dollars different plus the more wide variety.

I heard the antennas are fragile though.
paintball_kidz is offline Find More Posts by paintball_kidz
Old Jan 05, 2010, 03:04 PM
Moss, Norway
Joined Jul 2003
438 Posts
What plane did you loose, Geoff?

Magne
Magne is offline Find More Posts by Magne
Old Jan 05, 2010, 04:08 PM
Team Hacker
Vancouver BC Canada
Joined Jul 2006
1,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magne View Post
What plane did you loose, Geoff?

Magne
Thank goodness it was a relatively inexpensive Phoenix Model Extra 330 (60 size).

I had just starting my 3rd flight when I noticed that the throttle did not respond after a stall turn. I got it back long enough to straighten it out but it then stopped responding again. I madly moved the sticks but I had no control until it hit the tree. When we reached the plane all controls were working. Post crash analysis showed no sign of any loose connections or an obvious cause. On further investigation the radio failsafe setup on my JR9303 radio was set to hold for the throttle. It should have been set to zero throttle. All other models were set correctly. The failsafe not being set correctly accounts for the fact that the plane carried on rather than powering down. I tested switching off the receiver switch and the speed controller did shut down the motor after a couple of seconds. This tells me that I had a radio failure instead of a power failure. For whatever reason the JR 9 channel PCM receiver went into failsafe.

I guess that I was on borrowed time on 72 Mhz as there are fields that I fly at that are moving towards 2.4 Ghz only. This is the first time in 5 years that I have lost a plane due to what is likely radio failure. All other incidences have been primarily pilot error and airframe issues.
Last edited by Geoff Dryer; Jan 05, 2010 at 04:14 PM.
Old Jan 05, 2010, 04:52 PM
Team Park Pilot - Airborne
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2006
4,475 Posts
Ooow....nasty ! I lost my Eratix 3D on 36 due to a glitch.. So went with a new Futaba 10CAG 2.4 and must say, the stick response is like nothing else i have flown. Models that I found quite hard to hover down low I can now hold in a stable hover and all I have done is change Radios. I was using a very nice Futaba 7cap which I though was fantastic...untill I upgraded ! Like night n day..Only issue is, now I have to buy over 15 RXs for my models...EEekk !
OzparkPilot is online now Find More Posts by OzparkPilot
Old Jan 05, 2010, 06:33 PM
Team Hacker
Vancouver BC Canada
Joined Jul 2006
1,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BingWing View Post
Ooow....nasty ! I lost my Eratix 3D on 36 due to a glitch.. So went with a new Futaba 10CAG 2.4 and must say, the stick response is like nothing else i have flown. Models that I found quite hard to hover down low I can now hold in a stable hover and all I have done is change Radios. I was using a very nice Futaba 7cap which I though was fantastic...untill I upgraded ! Like night n day..Only issue is, now I have to buy over 15 RXs for my models...EEekk !
I need 10 receivers so I understand your pain!
Old Jan 05, 2010, 06:39 PM
Team Park Pilot - Airborne
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2006
4,475 Posts
We all do but the radio companies have never sold so many receivers in there life with ever one going 2.4 ! Like Beta and VHS lol... Or VHS and DVD....or DVD and Blue Ray...and...ok we get the picture... !
OzparkPilot is online now Find More Posts by OzparkPilot