HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 18, 2009, 12:22 PM
Ron
Chilliwack B.C. Canada
Joined Nov 1999
1,318 Posts
make sure it has a comfy bed Geoff .... otherwise you might as well sleep in the dog's house :-)
Ron is offline Find More Posts by Ron
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2009, 06:33 PM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Jan 2003
4,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Dryer View Post
until I did a test fit. I am unsure if my Extra will fit in my vehicle or my trailer.
I will just buy a new trailer. I am sure that it will be comfortable to sleep in when my wife finds out!
Would you be able to build a bigger box for your existing trailer
RiBell is offline Find More Posts by RiBell
Old Dec 18, 2009, 06:58 PM
Team Hacker
Vancouver BC Canada
Joined Jul 2006
1,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiBell View Post
Would you be able to build a bigger box for your existing trailer
The first trailer was to get my wife used to the idea. What I really want is a trailer large enough to hold my 35% and 33% plane. Building a bigger box on such a small utility trailer would be problematic.
Geoff Dryer is offline Find More Posts by Geoff Dryer
Old Dec 18, 2009, 07:17 PM
Team Hacker
Vancouver BC Canada
Joined Jul 2006
1,169 Posts
Motor and ESC Mount

I calculated that the motor needed to be mounted 5" out from the existing firewall. I decided that the easiest way to do this was to build a box out of 1/2" plywood. The top and bottom are open except for some gussets made out of 1/4" plywood. I drilled some lightening holes. I used 60 minute epoxy and wood screws to hold it together. The box was 300g (10.5 oz). The motor mounts to the front of the box using 6 mm bolts. The X-base on the back of the motor is threaded. 1/4-20 blind nuts and bolts to hold the box to the firewall. This seems really sturdy!

I mounted the Jeti speed controller under the motor at an angle to catch a bit more air across the heat sink. I used some small motor standoffs to hold it to the fuselage.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 01:17 AM
Team Park Pilot - Airborne
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2006
4,475 Posts
looking good so far.
OzparkPilot is offline Find More Posts by OzparkPilot
Old Dec 20, 2009, 12:22 AM
sml
Joined Jan 2007
339 Posts
Hacker A200-8

Geoff,

I like your build. I plan on installing the Hacker A200-8 in my H9 46% Ultimate so I am watching your build closely.

Saul
sml is offline Find More Posts by sml
Old Dec 20, 2009, 01:45 AM
Mira Loma, CA
Joined Nov 2009
2 Posts
35% 260 electric

Geoff,

I heard from a friend that you were doing this setup and i figured i might be able to give you some pointers on it being that i have almost the exact same setup as you are planning on doing.

First, i must say that this setup is awesome and works great. It has tons of power and flys the plane great. Mine weighs around 29 pounds but feals like your flying a foamy because of the power, its almost too much sometimes.

The main difference i see between our setups is that i went with a Jeti 170 amp speed control, thunder power 5000mah 6 cell packs, and i am running a mejzlik 27x12 thin prop. This is the setup that hacker recommended to us.

We have no ducting on it but we run no spinner to allow the air to pass over the motor better. It stays cool even through a hard 3D flight. Our motor is mounted on a milled and lightened round piece of delrin plastic.

The only downfall i see to this setup is the flight time. I can only fly for 5 minutes. When flying IMAC, i have to repack between sequences only flying intermediate, it would not make it through an entire advanced or unlimited sequence Other than that i love it.

We liked the giant scale electrics so much that we decided to build two 39% krill katanas with pletenburg motors for freestyle. Cant wait to see how these go.

Kyle
Goodwine is offline Find More Posts by Goodwine
Last edited by Goodwine; Dec 20, 2009 at 01:51 AM.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 12:05 PM
Team Hacker
Vancouver BC Canada
Joined Jul 2006
1,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwine View Post
Geoff,

I heard from a friend that you were doing this setup and i figured i might be able to give you some pointers on it being that i have almost the exact same setup as you are planning on doing.

First, i must say that this setup is awesome and works great. It has tons of power and flys the plane great. Mine weighs around 29 pounds but feals like your flying a foamy because of the power, its almost too much sometimes.

The main difference i see between our setups is that i went with a Jeti 170 amp speed control, thunder power 5000mah 6 cell packs, and i am running a mejzlik 27x12 thin prop. This is the setup that hacker recommended to us.

We have no ducting on it but we run no spinner to allow the air to pass over the motor better. It stays cool even through a hard 3D flight. Our motor is mounted on a milled and lightened round piece of delrin plastic.

The only downfall i see to this setup is the flight time. I can only fly for 5 minutes. When flying IMAC, i have to repack between sequences only flying intermediate, it would not make it through an entire advanced or unlimited sequence Other than that i love it.

We liked the giant scale electrics so much that we decided to build two 39% krill katanas with pletenburg motors for freestyle. Cant wait to see how these go.

Kyle
Thanks Kyle.

Is this really your first post?

Someone quoted your setup which is why I decided to go with the 5800 mAh batteries. I was looking at my 4.5" spinner in front of the motor thinking that it may mess up the cooling. Plettenberg has a spinner for their motors with a hole in the middle. Someone needs to come up with a simiilar product that will work on other motors. What do you mean by "ducting"?
Old Dec 20, 2009, 11:21 PM
Mira Loma, CA
Joined Nov 2009
2 Posts
Yes this is really my first post, im just starting to post on all these flying sites.

It definately needs more capacity battery wise to get longer flight time, its kinda discouraging when you have that unique of a plane and can only fly it for 5 minutes.

We saw a big change in temperature just by taking off the spinner, it would be very difficult to have a system like pletenburgs with the spinner setup because their motor is actually in the spinner, not behind a prop like the hacker is. I meant to say baffling rather than ducting.
Goodwine is offline Find More Posts by Goodwine
Old Dec 21, 2009, 10:26 AM
Where is that remote?
Wildomar, California, United States
Joined Sep 2004
487 Posts
Geoff, I like the look of a spinner on my planes and if you are worried about air flow, get a carbon fiber spinner (the kind that has the screws around the base) and cut the nose off to allow air to funnel in. It (the spinner) would have the same look as the Plett spinners.
lazyboyflyer is offline Find More Posts by lazyboyflyer
Old Dec 21, 2009, 11:12 AM
Ithaca NY
Joined Feb 2007
144 Posts
Hey Geoff,
It looks like your making progress, I thought I would post some pictures of my setup.
Hacker A100-8
Jeti spin 200
Vess 26b prop
Zippy 6s 5000mAh 30c lipo's (12s2p)
146amps/42v /7200rpm/6132watts
10min flight / 7min motor run / 3400mAh per pack /pack 95deg. / motor 76deg.
Im using JR DS8711 on all serfaces (1 per Aileron)

The plane is 27lb with batterys
I have about 60 + flights on the plane (IMAC / 3D) it has a ton of power and is the best plane I have owen to date, I like your choice of battery size (5800mAh)
bsipro is offline Find More Posts by bsipro
Old Dec 21, 2009, 12:10 PM
Team Hacker
Vancouver BC Canada
Joined Jul 2006
1,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwine View Post
Yes this is really my first post, im just starting to post on all these flying sites.

It definately needs more capacity battery wise to get longer flight time, its kinda discouraging when you have that unique of a plane and can only fly it for 5 minutes.

We saw a big change in temperature just by taking off the spinner, it would be very difficult to have a system like pletenburgs with the spinner setup because their motor is actually in the spinner, not behind a prop like the hacker is. I meant to say baffling rather than ducting.
Welcome to RCGroups!

I have noticed that the motor in my Sukhoi gets warm. I did not think that the spinner would make much difference in cooling but I guess that the shape does create quite a wind shadow.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 12:12 PM
Team Hacker
Vancouver BC Canada
Joined Jul 2006
1,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyboyflyer View Post
Geoff, I like the look of a spinner on my planes and if you are worried about air flow, get a carbon fiber spinner (the kind that has the screws around the base) and cut the nose off to allow air to funnel in. It (the spinner) would have the same look as the Plett spinners.
Cutting the spinner is a great idea but I wonder if it would result in the spinner flying apart. It might require some reinforcement around the leading edge.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 12:16 PM
Team Hacker
Vancouver BC Canada
Joined Jul 2006
1,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsipro View Post
Hey Geoff,
It looks like your making progress, I thought I would post some pictures of my setup.
Hacker A100-8
Jeti spin 200
Vess 26b prop
Zippy 6s 5000mAh 30c lipo's (12s2p)
146amps/42v /7200rpm/6132watts
10min flight / 7min motor run / 3400mAh per pack /pack 95deg. / motor 76deg.
Im using JR DS8711 on all serfaces (1 per Aileron)

The plane is 27lb with batterys
I have about 60 + flights on the plane (IMAC / 3D) it has a ton of power and is the best plane I have owen to date, I like your choice of battery size (5800mAh)
Thanks for sharing BSIPRO. I was hoping that you would post some pictures. There seems to be a few of us using the Hacker / Jeti combination.

It would seem that you are not having any issues with the motor heating up behind that big spinner.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 09:32 PM
Team Hacker
Vancouver BC Canada
Joined Jul 2006
1,169 Posts
Canopy and Firewall

Finally the correct windscreen arrived from Horizon late last week. As you may recall the original one was damaged and they sent three wrong ones that looked to be from the 46% Ultimate.

I have always found it a pain to glue the windscreen to the canopy. They never seem to fit exactly right. I cut away the covering on the glue joint and used canopy glue. I used lots of masking tape and weights but I had to re-glue a couple of areas that did not adhere completely.

I make it a habit to paint the firewall flat black to make it less obvious from looking from the front. Not as important on an Extra but it makes it look a little tidier on a round cowl plane like a Yak or Sukhoi.