HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 16, 2009, 10:44 AM
Team Hacker
Vancouver BC Canada
Joined Jul 2006
1,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibange View Post
Interesting build. I'm very interested to see what you get out of the A100-8. I took a chance and am trying one out on my 40% carden cap 232... and truth be told I'm more than a little worried that it will be enough power even though my numbers tell me that it should be.

The extra looks nice and every one I've seen seems to fly great. I can't wait to see how to do your electronics and motor mounting.
I recall reading about someone running the A100 on 14S without any ill effects. If you run the A100 on 14S then you are going to see way more power that I will on 12S.
Geoff Dryer is offline Find More Posts by Geoff Dryer
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2009, 06:43 PM
Bigger is better
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2001
909 Posts
Yes I've already done my homework and will be running 14 or 15S to get some more out of it. By the numbers it ought to come out ok... but it still seems odd to me.
ibange is offline Find More Posts by ibange
Old Dec 16, 2009, 09:43 PM
Team Hacker
Vancouver BC Canada
Joined Jul 2006
1,169 Posts
Electronics

I am using the Smart-Fly Power Expander Pro, two Equilizer 3D units and two Duralite A123 packs. I have used the Power Expander Pro before but this is my first time configuring a plane with 2 servos per surface (ailerons). I will mount the A123 packs after I see where the CG is.

The Equalizer is reasonably easy to setup. It was recommended that one servo be hooked up directly with the other routed through the Equalizer unit. Using my Watts-Up meter on the battery I was able to easily see when the servo was centered correctly (lowest amp draw). I adjusted centering at full deflection on low and high rates as well as center (5 positions) The meter was really helpful as it was hard to hear the difference.
Last edited by Geoff Dryer; Dec 16, 2009 at 10:07 PM.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 07:29 AM
Moss, Norway
Joined Jul 2003
438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Dryer View Post
With Regards to the size of planes in IMAC I think that for us novice pilots bigger flies better. It has been my observation that the bigger planes fly smoother, show well and the judges like that. In Basic last year my 33% Sukhoi was one of the smallest planes. The average ran a 100cc motor.

I think that pilot skill can overcome the disadvantage of a smaller plane but in the higher classes (Intermediate and above) the huge maneuvers might be a little tough without a 40% plane.

The seems to be a lot of activity in very large electric planes in Scandinavia. Is some of this activity being driven by noise restrictions? In the Vancouver area the flying fields where loud motors are allowed are rapidly disappearing.
Considering the transportation and storage difficulties associated with 35-40% models, I am surprised that the manufacturers don't break the fuselages into two separate pieces. When I bought my 3W Votec 322 kit (36%, 2700mm wingspan and 2650mm fuselage length) the first thing I did was to get the hacksaw out and cut it in two. (ouch..)

Regarding large electric planes in Scandinavia, I am not really sure what the situation is. I have not participated in more than a few competitions the last couple of years, but in those competitions there were no electric IMAC planes, at least not here in Norway. (I did see a 2 meter electric IMAC model in Sweden about 3 years ago, things may have changed.) F3A is a different kettle of fish though. This season it was almost 50/50, with possibly a slight majority to the glow guys. But rumours are going around locally, so next year will bring quite a few new electric models, me thinks.
I will be assembling an electric 33% model this winter, as well as convert the Votec to electric. I intend to fly IMAC with these next season. In June I am planning to take part in the Scandinavian championship in the Sportsman class, and look forward to see what the Swedes, Danes and the Finnish guys are flying.

But you are right, here on rcgroups there have been several people presenting their large electric models, but I have yet to actually see them.
(Of course, most people don't care to much about competitions, and just fly at their local clubs.) Also I have not attended any of the big fly-ins for some time, they may heve been there.
I think noise is a problem many places. It is difficult to find a suitable location for a model airplane club where there are no neighbours that will be affected. If you find one, please let me know, preferably near Moss, Norway. My local club lost it's flying site last spring...

Magne
Magne is offline Find More Posts by Magne
Last edited by Magne; Dec 17, 2009 at 07:40 AM.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 09:19 AM
Delta, BC Canada
Joined Oct 2009
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Dryer View Post
Electronics

I am using the Smart-Fly Power Expander Pro, two Equilizer 3D units and two Duralite A123 packs. I have used the Power Expander Pro before but this is my first time configuring a plane with 2 servos per surface (ailerons). I will mount the A123 packs after I see where the CG is.

The Equalizer is reasonably easy to setup. It was recommended that one servo be hooked up directly with the other routed through the Equalizer unit. Using my Watts-Up meter on the battery I was able to easily see when the servo was centered correctly (lowest amp draw). I adjusted centering at full deflection on low and high rates as well as center (5 positions) The meter was really helpful as it was hard to hear the difference.
Geoff, you should be able to run both your aileron leads into the power expander---left on one channel using # 1&2 pins and right on opposite side, no E3D needed?----Sorry its the EQ 10 power expander that has servo matching, your unit won't-------Upgrade??.....The EQ 10 Power Expander could be(not positive) a wee bit less exspensive than your setup if you factor in the cost of the SF match boxes & almost the same weight-----Always promoting the Smart-Fly products
Scotte 540 is offline Find More Posts by Scotte 540
Last edited by Scotte 540; Dec 17, 2009 at 12:39 PM.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 10:26 AM
Team Hacker
Vancouver BC Canada
Joined Jul 2006
1,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotte 540 View Post
Geoff, you should be able to run both your aileron leads into the power expander---left on one channel using # 1&2 pins and right on opposite side, no E3D needed?----Sorry I its the EQ 10 power expander that has servo matching, your unit won't-------Upgrade??.....The EQ 10 Power Expander is a wee bit less exspensive than your setup if you factor in the cost of the SF match boxes & almost the same weight-----Always promoting the Smart-Fly products
I did not explain it very well. All leads go through the Power Expander but only one of the two aileron servos go through the Equalizer. When I spoke to Robert Ritchey at Smart-Fly he recommended this configuration.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 10:28 AM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Jan 2003
4,750 Posts
Quote:
its the EQ 10 power expander that has servo matching,
OK a quick question.
How many servos can be plugged into the EQ 10 expander and run off one radio channel.
I thinking scale flaps on a B-25/ P-38/ Corsair. where you would use 4 to 6 servos for the flaps. One per flap segment and adjust each servo individually for travels.
Rick
RiBell is online now Find More Posts by RiBell
Old Dec 17, 2009, 10:52 AM
Delta, BC Canada
Joined Oct 2009
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiBell View Post
OK a quick question.
How many servos can be plugged into the EQ 10 expander and run off one radio channel.
I thinking scale flaps on a B-25/ P-38/ Corsair. where you would use 4 to 6 servos for the flaps. One per flap segment and adjust each servo individually for travels.
Rick
Three per channel.......
Geoff, I think Bob was giving you optional setup with a regular expander, the EQ 10 is another way to do the same thing--IMO (He's the boss) and a great guy if any of you have questions...Not totally sure what the price differance would be, very close........Do you plan on using a battery share for your RX Batteries?

Info@Smart-Fly.com

http://www.smart-fly.com/
Scotte 540 is offline Find More Posts by Scotte 540
Last edited by Scotte 540; Dec 17, 2009 at 12:17 PM.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 01:00 PM
Team Hacker
Vancouver BC Canada
Joined Jul 2006
1,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magne View Post
Considering the transportation and storage difficulties associated with 35-40% models, I am surprised that the manufacturers don't break the fuselages into two separate pieces. When I bought my 3W Votec 322 kit (36%, 2700mm wingspan and 2650mm fuselage length) the first thing I did was to get the hacksaw out and cut it in two. (ouch..)Magne
Your average vehicle is much larger in North America so I assume that the plane manufacturers are not being asked to do this. Recently I noticed that Hobby-Lobby now sells the Giant Telemaster as an ARF. It has a two piece fuselage.

Last year I built an 8' x 4' x 3' box on top of a folding utility trailer. Unfortunately I think that It is a little too small for the 35% Extra.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 01:04 PM
Team Hacker
Vancouver BC Canada
Joined Jul 2006
1,169 Posts
Quote:
Three per channel.......
Geoff, I think Bob was giving you optional setup with a regular expander, the EQ 10 is another way to do the same thing--IMO (He's the boss) and a great guy if any of you have questions...Not totally sure what the price differance would be, very close........Do you plan on using a battery share for your RX Batteries?

Info@Smart-Fly.com

http://www.smart-fly.com/
I had won the Equalizers at a contest last year so this was the cheapest route for me to go.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 01:37 PM
Joined Apr 2007
337 Posts
Very interesting. Subscribed.

The HC specs say the 80-100 is good to 7 Kw. You were pulling "only" 5 Kw out of it. Why ? Did you have heat issues ?

How much power are you planning to pull out of the Predator ?

The large Turnigy motors are double shafted. I would have at least tried coupling 2 of them together end to end. They would be a bit heavier than the Predator but me thinks that would have been OK especially since the motor CG would have been further back, closer to the center of the wing. Might even be better ?

You should have been able to pull 14 Kw from a double 80-100 setup. Over 20 HP. How much power do you estimate your competitors have ?

I'm surprised you didn't list throttle response as one of the reasons for using electric over gas.

Just my (inexperienced) $0.02

Edit: would double motors allow one to run 2 x 120A controllers rather than a 200+A controller ? Economy ? Redundancy ?
gyrokiteguy is offline Find More Posts by gyrokiteguy
Last edited by gyrokiteguy; Dec 17, 2009 at 02:22 PM.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 03:00 PM
Team Hacker
Vancouver BC Canada
Joined Jul 2006
1,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyrokiteguy View Post
Very interesting. Subscribed.

The HC specs say the 80-100 is good to 7 Kw. You were pulling "only" 5 Kw out of it. Why ? Did you have heat issues ?

How much power are you planning to pull out of the Predator ?

The large Turnigy motors are double shafted. I would have at least tried coupling 2 of them together end to end. They would be a bit heavier than the Predator but me thinks that would have been OK especially since the motor CG would have been further back, closer to the center of the wing. Might even be better ?

You should have been able to pull 14 Kw from a double 80-100 setup. Over 20 HP. How much power do you estimate your competitors have ?

I'm surprised you didn't list throttle response as one of the reasons for using electric over gas.

Just my (inexperienced) $0.02

Edit: would double motors allow one to run 2 x 120A controllers rather than a 200+A controller ? Economy ? Redundancy ?
My 80-100-130 does get warm at 5000 Watts (12S). It gets warm enough that I would not want to push it too much harder. I would up the voltage to get more power.

When I first started the build of my Sukhoi I thought seriously about ganging two motors together but the logistics of connecting and mounting the motors changed my mind.

I have not tested my Hacker A100-8 yet but I am aiming for equivalent power to a DA100 gas motor which would be around 50 lbs of thrust. This will likely be at around 130 to 150 Amps on 12S.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 09:21 PM
Team Hacker
Vancouver BC Canada
Joined Jul 2006
1,169 Posts
Carbon Fiber Wing Tube

A fellow IMAC flyer had an extra carbon fiber wing tube that he sold my (1.5"). It is 6 oz (170g) verses 9.0 oz (260g) for the stock aluminum tube.
Last edited by Geoff Dryer; Dec 17, 2009 at 09:31 PM.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 10:40 PM
Team Park Pilot - Airborne
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2006
4,475 Posts
Great project Geoff - I have been thinking of doing this for a while so keen to see how it goes. With regards to bigger GS electrics, there is a brand new H9 46% Ultimate ready to fly for sale up the coast that i`m looking at. Its powered by a Hacker quad but the seller has never flown it and when asked why he told me its a transportation issue. Strange but if I buy it I will post a thread about it all. at $8,000 its a fair investment but allot less than the sum of its parts.
OzparkPilot is online now Find More Posts by OzparkPilot
Old Dec 18, 2009, 10:33 AM
Team Hacker
Vancouver BC Canada
Joined Jul 2006
1,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BingWing View Post
Great project Geoff - I have been thinking of doing this for a while so keen to see how it goes. With regards to bigger GS electrics, there is a brand new H9 46% Ultimate ready to fly for sale up the coast that i`m looking at. Its powered by a Hacker quad but the seller has never flown it and when asked why he told me its a transportation issue. Strange but if I buy it I will post a thread about it all. at $8,000 its a fair investment but allot less than the sum of its parts.
Four motors and speed controllers $ouch. I have a couple of windscreens for the 46% Ultimate but the last one the Horizon sent me this week is the correct one for my Extra.

When I built my 33% Sukhoi I was not sure that it would fit in my vehicle until I did a test fit. I am unsure if my Extra will fit in my vehicle or my trailer.

I will just buy a new trailer. I am sure that it will be comfortable to sleep in when my wife finds out!