HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 17, 2010, 12:15 PM
WI
Joined Mar 2001
808 Posts
I suppose ultimate efficiency is no longer the number one priority once you reach the point you can fly two IMAC sequences, and still have reserve battery capacity.

But, I'll be surprised if a 26 x 14 or 27 x 12 on the -10 won't keep up with the 24 x 12 on the -8. Would certainly blow that big slow turning props are more efficient theory.

Kevin
Tipover is online now Find More Posts by Tipover
to remove ads between posts
Old May 17, 2010, 06:33 PM
Battery Puffer
Orange, California, United States
Joined Nov 2001
872 Posts
Tipover, I think its more than just theory.
I was at the spring fling in San Diego this past weekend and watched Ray Fulks 35% fly with the Neu 2215 2y and the 30 x 20 prop on 12s. I tell you that plane had as much power of any 35% Iv'e seen fly before. I have seen several Hacker powered 35% and the Neu powered plane was smoother and quieter.
Geoff if you tryed a geared inrunner I think you would like the throttle response better than an outrunner. It makes more of a difference on the bigger planes. There also lighter and more efficient. I think the main reason why more people dont run them is the fact that they cost more. You do get what you pay for these days as I think you found out with your Turnigy motors.

Mark
MarkF is offline Find More Posts by MarkF
Old May 17, 2010, 09:52 PM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Aug 2004
9,080 Posts
Well, when you get to this size, i think it would become very difficult to balance with a motor as light as an inrunner. I know people have done it, but i also know these size planes dont mind a little extra weight especially for imac.

just my 2cents
rcbirk21 is offline Find More Posts by rcbirk21
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Joe's Battery Contraption
Old May 18, 2010, 09:35 AM
Where is that remote?
Wildomar, California, United States
Joined Sep 2004
487 Posts
A lighter motor set up gives you a little extra battery weight and longer flights for IMAC.
lazyboyflyer is online now Find More Posts by lazyboyflyer
Old May 18, 2010, 10:39 AM
Team Hacker
Vancouver BC Canada
Joined Jul 2006
1,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF View Post
Tipover, I think its more than just theory.
I was at the spring fling in San Diego this past weekend and watched Ray Fulks 35% fly with the Neu 2215 2y and the 30 x 20 prop on 12s. I tell you that plane had as much power of any 35% Iv'e seen fly before. I have seen several Hacker powered 35% and the Neu powered plane was smoother and quieter.
Geoff if you tryed a geared inrunner I think you would like the throttle response better than an outrunner. It makes more of a difference on the bigger planes. There also lighter and more efficient. I think the main reason why more people dont run them is the fact that they cost more. You do get what you pay for these days as I think you found out with your Turnigy motors.
Mark
I considered a Neu Motor but the difference in cost made me decide to go with Hacker. Also others were running the same H9 Extra with the Hacker A-100 and they were happy with the results.

Remember that I flew the 2009 IMAC season with a Turnigy 80-100 motor and it is still going strong.
Geoff Dryer is offline Find More Posts by Geoff Dryer
Old May 18, 2010, 01:38 PM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
Joined Aug 2004
9,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Dryer View Post
I considered a Neu Motor but the difference in cost made me decide to go with Hacker. Also others were running the same H9 Extra with the Hacker A-100 and they were happy with the results.

Remember that I flew the 2009 IMAC season with a Turnigy 80-100 motor and it is still going strong.
Did you make any mods to that turnigy motor to make it run strong? or did it just work well out of the box? I am considering doing a 50cc electric conversion
RCG Plus Member
Old May 18, 2010, 07:43 PM
Team Hacker
Vancouver BC Canada
Joined Jul 2006
1,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbirk21 View Post
Did you make any mods to that turnigy motor to make it run strong? or did it just work well out of the box? I am considering doing a 50cc electric conversion
Other than a bearing change the motor has been flawless. I seem to have poor luck with bearings as I have had to change them across all brands of motors that I have purchased. I balance my propellers so I have no idea why I have these issues.
Old May 31, 2010, 03:01 PM
Team Hacker
Vancouver BC Canada
Joined Jul 2006
1,134 Posts
Another IMAC Contest

This last weekend I attended another IMAC event in Zillah (Central) Washington State. The gorgeous flying site is located on a hill surrounded by orchards and grape vines. The weather was perfect.

This weekend I used the 27x12 Xoar propeller with my Hacker A100-10 motor. I concentrated on flying big maneuvers and noticed that I exceeded the 7 minutes set on my timer. I put back around 4000 mAh of the 5800 mAh batteries. Both motor and batteries were just luke warm. The 27x12 seems to produce a smooth power band. This was much smoother than the 24x12 propeller and the A00-8 motor but not quite as efficient based on the amount taken out of the batteries.
Old May 31, 2010, 03:55 PM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
Joined Aug 2004
9,080 Posts
so do you prefer the -10 setup? I will be flying a 100cc electric plane on 12s2p 10000, so maybe the -8 is better?
RCG Plus Member
Old May 31, 2010, 05:29 PM
Team Hacker
Vancouver BC Canada
Joined Jul 2006
1,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbirk21 View Post
so do you prefer the -10 setup? I will be flying a 100cc electric plane on 12s2p 10000, so maybe the -8 is better?
I am unsure. I think I prefer the -10 with the 27x12. I was flying really big this weekend so maybe the -8 being more efficient is erroneous.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 02:55 PM
Team Hacker
Vancouver BC Canada
Joined Jul 2006
1,134 Posts
A little Excitement

During Friday practice at the IMAC contest last wekend my Extra started making a funny noise. I landed and checked over the plane. I flew again and the noise reappeared. It almost sounded like the squeak that a composite plane makes. I landed again and several people looked my plane over. Nothing found.
I flew again and on the first upline 3/4 of the covering tore off the top of one on the wings. I landed safely. On inspection I noticed that there is a seam on the leading edge of the wing. Apparently this is not a good idea.

I had hardly pulled my plane back to my canopy when the contest CD handed me two rolls of covering (almost the right color) and a heat gun and iron. Another IMAC pilot volunteered to make the temporary repair and I was back in the air again an hour later. I took notes on how to cover so I can make the permanent repair.

One thing that I really enjoy about IMAC is the people. There is always plentiful help, tools, parts and advice when things go wrong!
Old Jun 17, 2010, 03:14 PM
WATTSUP.SE
Sweden
Joined Dec 2001
2,307 Posts
Good to hear it dident end up in a crash.

Btw the plane and setup seems to work very good!
Jocke is offline Find More Posts by Jocke
Old Jun 18, 2010, 09:48 PM
Team Hacker
Vancouver BC Canada
Joined Jul 2006
1,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocke View Post
Good to hear it didn't end up in a crash.

Btw the plane and setup seems to work very good!
I was lucky that the damage was minor.

I am not completely happy with the efficiency of the Hacker A100-10 on a Xoar 27x12. I may test with a 27x10 and a 27A that I have. I would like a little more reserve in the batteries when I fly the Sportsman sequence on a windy day.

I finished recovering the wing. I had the yellow, a friend gave me some red, and I picked up a roll of white. I was able to reuse the purple squares but one is missing! Seems like a shame to buy a whole roll for a tiny missing piece.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 10:01 PM
Epic Huckin'
Surrey, BC
Joined Jun 2007
2,388 Posts
Looks like its never been recovered, are you going to the fathers day fly in?
paintball_kidz is offline Find More Posts by paintball_kidz
Old Jun 19, 2010, 01:58 AM
WI
Joined Mar 2001
808 Posts
Nice job on the wing recover. They look great from here. I'd have never noticed the missing purple if you didn't point it out.

Very curious about the 27x12 being less efficient than your old 100-8 setup. Do you find yourself using a lot more throttle than with the -8? I wonder if a 26 or 27x14 is in order? Never enough props around when it comes to figuring these things out.

Kevin
Tipover is online now Find More Posts by Tipover