HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 06, 2010, 01:28 PM
USA, SC, Easley
Joined Sep 2009
481 Posts
Great thread, thinking I am going to electrify my 35% Compsite Extra 300S that I am building. Have a DLE111 for it but after the Sukhoi and this thread I think I will stick with electric. An idea for cooling to allow running a spinner is what I have done on my P47 and Sukhoi, althought I did it with a dummy radial. On other electrics I have with cowls I just place a light ply wall inside the cowl and cut out a hole just big enough for the motor. This way air must go through the motor instead of around it doing it no good. Also you can block off one side of the intake and increase aerodynamics a bit. The P47 use to come down warm with an open cowl now it comes down ambient.
What do you guys think is the lightest motor that would lightly 3D a 27lb plane? Not looking for a monster just something efficient and light for a 35%.
yellowbird2800 is offline Find More Posts by yellowbird2800
to remove ads between posts
Old May 06, 2010, 02:15 PM
Just fly,its just money.
Joined Oct 2004
1,438 Posts
im in the boat with you yellow bird. Im wanting to convert a dalton 35% 260 but i want a monster of 3d
fish2keel is offline Find More Posts by fish2keel
Old May 06, 2010, 02:47 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eajohnson View Post
Jim this sounds like the best setup so far. If my plettenberg setup doesn't work (it may just be too extreme overkill on power) I think I'll imitate your setup and put the Plettenberg in a 40%. What gear ratio are you using on the Neu?
I am using the 6.7:1, which means that the motor is zinging when the prop is ripping!

I also have a Comp-Arf SX (Futaba scheme) that has a Neu 2230-1Y motor (Kv is about 730) swinging a 32x14 prop. Prop calc shows 97 pounds of thrust. Plane weighs 44 pounds with a 15S2P setup (5000mAh x 2 x 3).
JimDrew is online now Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old May 06, 2010, 02:50 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BingWing View Post
What a Cool ( no pun ) set up Jim ! I used something similar on my 65` Yak and it works great ( there were medicine measures )

So on the 5000 that is 2 x 6s 5000 packs ?
Yes, 12S1P or 12S2P (24 lbs vs. 27 lbs). The plane is really too light at 24 pounds, blow overs take forever!
JimDrew is online now Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old May 06, 2010, 08:40 PM
Team Hacker
Vancouver BC Canada
Joined Jul 2006
1,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
For cooling I went to the local auto parts store and bought two oil/transmission fluid funnels. I cut about 1/3 of each one off, drilled holes and zip tied them to the motor mount. There is a back plate at each end of the funnel to force the air out through the top and bottom. Air can not just pass through.
motor mount box.
Your cooling funnels are brilliant!
Geoff Dryer is offline Find More Posts by Geoff Dryer
Old May 09, 2010, 10:01 PM
Team Hacker
Vancouver BC Canada
Joined Jul 2006
1,169 Posts
Technical Difficulties

On Saturday I managed to get out to practice my IMAC flying before next weekends contest. The first two flights were uneventful but on the third the motor seemed a bit louder than usual. When taxiing in I could hear a squeak. I turned over the motor and all seemed OK. On the fourth flight the motor got really loud so I landed. Pulling the prop around now produces a horrible grinding sound. Looks like the bearing is gone.

I emailed Aero-Model Inc. on Saturday night and today (Sunday!) they emailed me back to say that they can rush ship me a new Hacker A-100 motor. Good service!

Hopefully I will be able to get the new motor installed in time for the contest next weekend.
Old May 09, 2010, 10:16 PM
WI
Joined Mar 2001
808 Posts
Sorry to hear about the bad bearings. All of my Hacker out runners including my A80 spray oil out of the big rear bell housing bearing and it shows up as a black ring inside the cowl. You would think for the cost of these that they could use some quality sealed bearings. Very glad to hear they took care of you so fast.

Kevin
Tipover is offline Find More Posts by Tipover
Old May 10, 2010, 01:48 PM
Team Hacker
Vancouver BC Canada
Joined Jul 2006
1,169 Posts
A new motor is being shipped to my US address and should be there tomorrow (1 day) Hacker repairs motors in Arizona so I will send the other one back for a bearing replacement next week.
Old May 10, 2010, 09:05 PM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Aug 2004
9,473 Posts
wait...the hackers dont even have sealed bearings? that is odd for such a $$$ motor...
rcbirk21 is offline Find More Posts by rcbirk21
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Joe's Battery Contraption
Old May 10, 2010, 09:25 PM
WI
Joined Mar 2001
808 Posts
All I can speak for are three A50's and one A80 I own. All have sprayed oil from the big bell housing bearing (at least thats the area where oil shows up in the cowl). They seem to have a dust seal but nothing oil tight.

Kevn
Old May 10, 2010, 09:31 PM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Aug 2004
9,473 Posts
has it caused any problems?
rcbirk21 is offline Find More Posts by rcbirk21
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Joe's Battery Contraption
Old May 11, 2010, 12:06 AM
WI
Joined Mar 2001
808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbirk21 View Post
has it caused any problems?

I replaced the three small shaft bearings in one of the A50's because they were getting very rough. I have not needed to replaced any of the big bell housing bearings as of yet.

One does have to wonder how long they can survive with oil exiting the motor. It's possible the oil is coming from the smaller shaft bearings and exiting through the bell housing/cooling fan area. I'll be keeping an eye on the motor with the replacement bearings to see if it continues to spray oil, so far have not had a chance to pull the cowl and look.

Sorry, I did not mean to sidetrack Geoffs thread.

Kevin
Old May 11, 2010, 11:17 AM
Team Hacker
Vancouver BC Canada
Joined Jul 2006
1,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tipover View Post
I replaced the three small shaft bearings in one of the A50's because they were getting very rough. I have not needed to replaced any of the big bell housing bearings as of yet.

One does have to wonder how long they can survive with oil exiting the motor. It's possible the oil is coming from the smaller shaft bearings and exiting through the bell housing/cooling fan area. I'll be keeping an eye on the motor with the replacement bearings to see if it continues to spray oil, so far have not had a chance to pull the cowl and look.

Sorry, I did not mean to sidetrack Geoffs thread.

Kevin
No problem. All comments and related discussions are welcome.

I should be able to pickup the motor on Wednesday and hopefully have a test flight or two on Thursday. I want to leave for the IMAC contest on Friday morning on order to get some practice in that day.

I order the A100-10 rather than my current A100-8. It looks like the lower KV 10 is a better motor for this application from what others are telling me.
Old May 11, 2010, 11:32 AM
WI
Joined Mar 2001
808 Posts
Yeah, I agree the 100-10 will be better on that size plane.

Have you noticed any oil spray ring on the inside of the Extra cowl? Below is what the inside of my Cap 232 with the A80 looks like, maybe nothing to worry about, but it still does a little

Kevin
Last edited by Tipover; May 11, 2010 at 11:47 AM.
Old May 11, 2010, 12:39 PM
Team Hacker
Vancouver BC Canada
Joined Jul 2006
1,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tipover View Post
Yeah, I agree the 100-10 will be better on that size plane.

Have you noticed any oil spray ring on the inside of the Extra cowl? Below is what the inside of my Cap 232 with the A80 looks like, maybe nothing to worry about, but it still does a little
Kevin
I found no oil ring on the cowl and no evidence of oil on the motor. I had a couple of the biggest Hyperion 5045-18 motors produce an oil ring just before their bearing let go.