SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 06, 2003, 10:16 PM
san diego
Joined Apr 2003
23 Posts
B-2 stealth bomber question

I recently built a R.O.G. , fanfold foam B-2 bomber with twin 480's in pusher config. It's nearly 72" wingspan, 28" cord, and I'm not sure what it weighs. It's a real kick to fly, takes off after about a 25-40' roll, floats real nice, but watch those tip stalls!
Wondering if this could be made out of epp or something, if any foam companies can cut something like this, or if cutting your own is a better idea. Going to make another one, and this time apply more strapping tape, it cracked after a nose dive from 100' in an area without tape. I'll attach some pictures of the new one I build, and this one too if anyone would like to see it.
livingwater is offline Find More Posts by livingwater
to remove ads between posts
Old May 06, 2003, 10:55 PM
Professional Dork
Winchester, Kentucky
Joined Jul 2000
435 Posts
Please Do! We are always curious to see the creations of others.
Randy S is offline Find More Posts by Randy S
Old May 07, 2003, 07:11 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,126 Posts
Tipstalls....

Use more washout on the tips.....important part of the finless equation anyway....
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old May 07, 2003, 09:44 PM
san diego
Joined Apr 2003
23 Posts
washout

If I understand washout correctly, that's the upward twist of the outer rear edge of the wingtips, right? I put a little dihedral into it, maybe 2-3 ". I was able to make a couple of big laps with it, and make 8 or 10 takeoff/landings before I wacked in. Even some touch and goes. Already have the new wings cut and starting to glue spars. I think total time to get one flying is about 4-5 hours, I'll add more reinforcements this time. I was also considering putting some clear fins about 4-6 inboard of the wingtips, will this help?
Thanks
livingwater is offline Find More Posts by livingwater
Old May 08, 2003, 08:02 PM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,126 Posts
It is the right combination of washout , dihedral and correct cg location that makes finless planes possible(practical)...I refer you to one extreme the air surfer flying wing ( toys are us) and on the other hand the "Klingberg wing"....both finless and fly well... I even hacked a Wal Mart glider into a flying wing (finless) that flies great and thermals like a balloon... small fins(clear plastic) on the tips are most effective ( not like those ugly zagi barn doors )..... but if you experiment , you'll find you don't need them at all........Way cooler!!!
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw