max_mac is offline Find More Posts by max_mac
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2010, 11:24 AM
Joined Dec 2009
23 Posts
cool

cool plane when you finish can you give me pdf plans for it i just need to
have her
it is perfect this is what i am looking for.
Thanks
max_mac is offline Find More Posts by max_mac
Old Jan 06, 2010, 05:19 PM
HappyGoLucky
Germany, BW, Ibach
Joined Dec 2009
546 Posts
Thanks for your kind words.

I'm not sure what PDF-Plans are but you can certainly have the Plans in the format I use (Self constructed 3D Model).

There are however some issues with the design of the Plane most prominent it is way heavier then it would have to be. You could probably sit on the fuselage without breaking anything thats how overbuild it is.

Secondly I would recommend to move the servos from the servo-bay in the wingbox to the rear of the plane because since the fuselage is so long the CG can easily be adjusted by moving the batteries further forward and that way you don't have to build long and complicated transmissions from the servos to the flight-surfaces.

mh, thats all for now, cheers
chochmah is offline Find More Posts by chochmah
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Blohm und Voss BV P.144
Old Jan 06, 2010, 11:52 PM
Flanker Fan
Joined Dec 2008
212 Posts
Please please PLEASE buy at least a USB flight sim and take a "crash" course in flying. It's fun, and with a dozen or so hours stick time you will have a chance at flying your beautiful plane. Believe me, as cool as it is to build a plane, it is even cooler to watch it take to the air and fly... for more than a few seconds. Hobbypartz.com sells a simulator combo for $15. It is money well spent.

It looks like you've got everything on this build right. Good luck with it regardless of how you choose to proceed.

yellow13
yellow13 is offline Find More Posts by yellow13
Old Jan 07, 2010, 06:33 PM
All Around RC Man
State Of Insanity
Joined Aug 2009
14 Posts
Wow! This is looking awesome

I also suggest getting a simulator. They are essential to learning quickly and cheap-ly
Mooshu Beef is offline Find More Posts by Mooshu Beef
Old Jan 08, 2010, 09:10 AM
HappyGoLucky
Germany, BW, Ibach
Joined Dec 2009
546 Posts
After downloading some Demos and reading up on the issue I bought a used copy of RealFlight from EBay. Pivotal for that decision was that the MD80 seems not to be included in any FlightSimulator Package and you can apparently build your own models in RealFlight.

Thanks for the Advice.

Cheers
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 11, 2010, 07:41 AM
HappyGoLucky
Germany, BW, Ibach
Joined Dec 2009
546 Posts
hi Forum. The Postman has rung and I spend a good part of the last night toying around with building and
flying planes in realflight and XPlane. (Still haven't got the Uhu Por glue)

General note: I have turned down Wind and turbulences to speeds below 4mph or 6km/h and I'm using
XPlane and RealFlight. I'm using the X-Plane Demo, I don't know about it but there might be differences to the
Full version.

Some Observations about the MD80-Model from the Simulators
  • If you use to much up elevator during turns the Model will turn itself on it's back.
  • Minimum landind Speed at 3KG weight is approx. 50km/h. Any slower and the Model will tippstall or simply drop.
  • The front Gear has to be mounted significantly lower then the Main Gear otherwise the Model can't be landet.
    (because the AoA is rather small and bouncing of the front wheel will rotate the nose to almost vertical)
  • At 4lbs Thrust the Model is overpowered. 2lbs would be sufficent.
  • Model will slide it's tail out below approx. 80km/h and become instable around the yaw-axis.
  • At turns below aprox. 90km/h Rudder and elevator is needet to hold the direction and height.
  • Plane does not like Angles of Attack higher then approx. 8 degrees. Will stall or drop.
  • Vertical Stabilizer seems to be to small to keep direction at lower speeds. Since the Vertical stabilizer is
    scale I can only assume that the flight dynamics don't scale down well or the real plane has the same issues.
  • The CG is very far back in the RealflightModel and the XPlaneModel. A Couple of centimeters from the rear end of
    the Wing. Is that normal for this kind of a plane?
  • To Land it appears to be best to throttle down while keeping the Attitude with the Elevators.
  • I'm having trouble using the Rudder when the Plane comes right at me. For some reason I fail to reverse
    the directions for the Rudder while reversing for the Ailerons works without thinking about it. That's
    the biggest issue so far since using the Rudder on "Turn to Final" is mandatory to keep the plane from yawing at
    landing speed.

Observations about Simulators (RealFlight and XPlane)
  • The Standard-pattern (takeof/downwind/landing) can easily be flown by a Newbe with most planes in RealFlight.
    I hope that it's that easy in reality too.
  • Creation of Models for RealFlight makes you want to kill your mother. ("~"-Bug cost me 2h)
  • Big differences in Flight Characteristics of the MD80 between RealFlight and XPlane. But since XPlane is actualy
    meant to simulate real planes and I might have done a couple of things wrong in modelling I guess that says nothing
    about the quality of the Sims.
  • Using the Joystick (XPlane) is more intuitive then using the RC-Controler (RealFlight).
  • I have not yet figured out how to make a video from RealFlight and XPlane flights. There's a record-option in RealFlight
    but you can't export to avi/mpg.

If you want to try yourself, here's the RealFlight Model I made. By no means perfect and not a Beauty but it should
resemble the Real MD80-Model quite well. If you have observations/suggestions please share.

Cheers
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 11, 2010, 04:00 PM
HappyGoLucky
Germany, BW, Ibach
Joined Dec 2009
546 Posts
Sorry, I forgot to Link the Model:

RealFlight MD80: MD80_EA.RFX

RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 12, 2010, 01:58 PM
Impossible? Hah!
Oslo Fornebu, Norway
Joined Jun 2003
3,074 Posts
Beautiful work so far.
Just remember: if you stuff it, glue it together and repeat.
There is no crash that is unrecoverable.

That being said, I think you'll be fine
KreAture is offline Find More Posts by KreAture
Old Jan 12, 2010, 06:08 PM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,501 Posts
Think about some in line caps on the extended power feed from the front they will save your ESC's, someone else's better knowledge of the theory could offer better info than I.
ApexAero is online now Find More Posts by ApexAero
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 13, 2010, 09:17 PM
Nevada, USA
Joined Sep 2007
1,921 Posts
Workshop, Foam, Beer, check I'm onboard!
capt is offline Find More Posts by capt
Old Jan 17, 2010, 07:40 AM
HappyGoLucky
Germany, BW, Ibach
Joined Dec 2009
546 Posts
Since I currently can't reach the place where I'm building the Airplane due to bad weather I went ahead and carved the nose- and tailsection right here at my Desk and out of glued-together styrofoamsheets. It does not really resemble the look of the MD80 because I could not get hold of any good schematic drawing and I lack the artistic ability that is needed to sculpture complex bodies but I'll stick with what I made.
Does anybody know how to smoothen the surface of the styrofoam after sanding it and how to fill gaps? I would appreciate a Link to some sort of Tutorial or Instructional Video etc.

Hope the Weather gets better soon. Cheers
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2010, 01:21 PM
Were..is..my..Super..Suit ..
United States, NE, Papillion
Joined Sep 2009
2,510 Posts
i like it
j3tman is offline Find More Posts by j3tman
Old Jan 17, 2010, 08:14 PM
Nevada, USA
Joined Sep 2007
1,921 Posts
Quote:
how to fill gaps
Light weight Spackle works great for gap & crack filling.
capt is offline Find More Posts by capt
Old Jan 18, 2010, 04:50 PM
HappyGoLucky
Germany, BW, Ibach
Joined Dec 2009
546 Posts
Thanks, I'll try Spackle for the Nose/Tail-Section.
Meanwhile I'm doing my homework every evening:

Scratchbuilt RC MD-80 in the Simulator (0 min 40 sec)
RCG Plus Member