HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 10, 2009, 04:53 AM
Scammers need to go!
PilotDragonfly's Avatar
Slidell, La
Joined Oct 2006
1,446 Posts
Alert
Hey guy's, check out this single motor driven coax!

I don't know about you guy's but it looks interesting enough for me to pursue it a bit further! I don't care to much for the realistic tail but thats an easy alteration!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2#post13784992
PilotDragonfly is offline Find More Posts by PilotDragonfly
Last edited by PilotDragonfly; Dec 10, 2009 at 05:03 AM.
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2009, 09:31 AM
Resident Skeptican
Barak1001's Avatar
USA, AL, Hanceville
Joined May 2008
4,323 Posts
It looks like it's got collective pitch but only on the lower head. I wonder if the rpm is actually constant or if it's going up and down in order to gain and lose altitude? How exactly would constant rpm work with the upper head being controlled only by a flybar?

I'd like to see the same video with the original sound instead of the elevator music. I'd also like to see the chopper flying in a moderate wind.
Barak1001 is offline Find More Posts by Barak1001
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2009, 10:04 AM
Scammers need to go!
PilotDragonfly's Avatar
Slidell, La
Joined Oct 2006
1,446 Posts
Agreed, i'm a bit confused on it also! I did a little searching this morning but came up empty. This is gonna drive me nuts until we get some specs and better video!
PilotDragonfly is offline Find More Posts by PilotDragonfly
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2009, 10:11 AM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
erdnuckel2's Avatar
Joined Mar 2009
9,069 Posts
Looks very much like they based it on a Lama400D!

That would mean it is a rather huge coax .. sorry - it IS GOING TO BE ...

Most of the frame and everything looks absolutely identical. Maybe this is the "brushless Lama400" the rumors "talk" about on the Lama400 Threads.
erdnuckel2 is offline Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 10, 2009, 10:31 AM
Scammers need to go!
PilotDragonfly's Avatar
Slidell, La
Joined Oct 2006
1,446 Posts
Would be cool huh! I've been wanting a HUGE coax for a long time and the esky big lama aint gonna cut it!
PilotDragonfly is offline Find More Posts by PilotDragonfly
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2009, 07:18 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Razors edge 29's Avatar
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,568 Posts
me likey this heli
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2009, 01:34 PM
Registered User
IRELAND
Joined Jun 2009
2,433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot_dragonfly View Post
Would be cool huh! I've been wanting a HUGE coax for a long time and the esky big lama aint gonna cut it!
I have been FLIGHTING with www.walkera.com since MAY 2009 to make a xtreme lama 400D 500 SIZE,
There sales will go though the roof World Wide if they make this xtreme 500D

Rolex.
rolex0071 is offline Find More Posts by rolex0071
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2009, 02:11 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Razors edge 29's Avatar
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,568 Posts
Most likely as long as it's not a piece of crap




Quote:
Originally Posted by rolex0071 View Post
I have been FLIGHTING with www.walkera.com since MAY 2009 to make a xtreme lama 400D 500 SIZE,
There sales will go though the roof World Wide if they make this xtreme 500D

Rolex.
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2009, 04:39 PM
Registered User
IRELAND
Joined Jun 2009
2,433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
Most likely as long as it's not a piece of crap
Yes i know what you are saying..............


If www.walkera.com makes this coaxial helicopter bad...... that will be it for www.walkera.com,

However, i think they have a outstanding coaxial helicopter here, www.walkera.com THE WORLD IS WAITING FOR YOU to make the first xtreme coaxial !!!!!!!!

- Rolex...
rolex0071 is offline Find More Posts by rolex0071
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2009, 04:43 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Razors edge 29's Avatar
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,568 Posts
sure


Quote:
Originally Posted by rolex0071 View Post
Yes i know what you are saying..............


If www.walkera.com makes this coaxial helicopter bad...... that will be it for www.walkera.com,

However, i think they have a outstanding coaxial helicopter here, www.walkera.com THE WORLD IS WAITING FOR YOU to make the first xtreme coaxial !!!!!!!!

- Rolex...
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2009, 02:57 AM
Merry xmas
KCV6's Avatar
Australia, SA, Edinburgh
Joined Aug 2009
5,846 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barak1001 View Post
It looks like it's got collective pitch but only on the lower head. I wonder if the rpm is actually constant or if it's going up and down in order to gain and lose altitude? How exactly would constant rpm work with the upper head being controlled only by a flybar?

I'd like to see the same video with the original sound instead of the elevator music. I'd also like to see the chopper flying in a moderate wind.
I reakon they are using the change in pitch on the lower blades to induce yaw. Probably mixing variable RPM and variable pitch. decrease overall RPM and increase lower blade pitch to hold altitude but induce yaw. Will be interesting, personally I'd rather see them go the full dual swash with a hiller type flybar on the top set, sort of like a CB180 top setup mixing both swash input and flybar input. Would probably be a good compromise in keeping cost down, reasonably stable and give some top set cyclic authority. I have a standard... well ok highly modified 400D and it has plenty of FFF in light conditions so adding a dual swash would make it kick .

Mark
KCV6 is online now Find More Posts by KCV6
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2009, 05:10 AM
Registered User
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,463 Posts
Watching the video, I though the tail rotor was working on and off to control yaw. Maybe my eyes were deceiving me, or maybe it was just turning with the wind -- I can't see if there's a drive to it.
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2009, 05:37 AM
Merry xmas
KCV6's Avatar
Australia, SA, Edinburgh
Joined Aug 2009
5,846 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abenn View Post
Watching the video, I though the tail rotor was working on and off to control yaw. Maybe my eyes were deceiving me, or maybe it was just turning with the wind -- I can't see if there's a drive to it.
I suspect the tail rotor is the same as on the 400D, just there for apearance. Could be wrong
KCV6 is online now Find More Posts by KCV6
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2009, 02:01 PM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2007
573 Posts
it seems to me that both sets of main blades are spinning in the same direction? That's why it still needs tail blades... Kind of like EQmod's experimental coax with tail blades..

So basically this thing seems like a normal 450 class heli, but has an added top 45degree flybar to stabilize it during hover; feels like a 450 heli for those who can't hover it right...

I think the beauty of a coax heli is the absence of tail rotors; if this thing can't even get rid of the tail rotor, the whole system would just be inefficient (since tail blade usually drains 30% of the engine output without contributing to lift)... If that's indeed the case, I think people should just learn to hover instead of buying something like this.

Learning to fly properly isn't really that difficult.
dendog220 is offline Find More Posts by dendog220
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2009, 02:18 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Razors edge 29's Avatar
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,568 Posts
The blades are spinning in opposite directions.....look again....when it takes off looks like there spinning in same direction, then it changes it looks like


Quote:
Originally Posted by dendog220 View Post
it seems to me that both sets of main blades are spinning in the same direction? That's why it still needs tail blades... Kind of like EQmod's experimental coax with tail blades..

So basically this thing seems like a normal 450 class heli, but has an added top 45degree flybar to stabilize it during hover; feels like a 450 heli for those who can't hover it right...

I think the beauty of a coax heli is the absence of tail rotors; if this thing can't even get rid of the tail rotor, the whole system would just be inefficient (since tail blade usually drains 30% of the engine output without contributing to lift)... If that's indeed the case, I think people should just learn to hover instead of buying something like this.

Learning to fly properly isn't really that difficult.
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cool check this out dumbthumbs Chit Chat 2 Dec 04, 2009 06:37 AM
Discussion Hey Scott with L.S. Check this out. morphs Power Systems 0 Mar 24, 2006 11:47 AM
New Product Hey check this out....Maybe a motor for the P-51/FW and stryker Dora Nine Parkflyers 0 Mar 13, 2006 02:21 AM
Discussion Check out this guy's site! mrittinger Scale Kit/Scratch Built 11 Jan 20, 2006 09:07 PM