HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 10, 2009, 01:02 AM
Helis Fall With Grace & Style
Kalispell Montana BIG SKY COUNTRY!
Joined Aug 2007
864 Posts
Discussion
Spartan Quark - Your Reviews, Thoughts, Issues & Anything Else...

Hey Guys! Hope you all are getting a lot of flying in. :-)

So the Spartan Quark is the newest Gyro in town as most of you
probably know, and I thought it would be great if we could have one
thread where you can post
  • User Reviews
  • Your thoughts
  • Any issues that arise
  • What helicopters you have them on
  • And anything else you can think of
I know we are all anxious to hear about this new Gyro and see how it
stacks up against the rest. Spartan-Rc Makes Quality stuff and with
the Huge Success ff the first Spartan Ds760 Gyro I am sure this one
will be every bit as good if not better than the original.

In case you haven't seen Bob White's Spartan Quark Overview thread,
here it is ---> Finless Bob's Overview & Setup Video

Spartan Rc Website

Post away!

Happy and Safe Flying!

Kyle Allred
President
Rc Super Sales

I found some COOL Spartan Rc Youtube Videos of the Production
of the Quark. Pretty neat to see how they make these, Enjoy...

Spartan Quark gyro circuit board production. Robot placing the MEMS sensor on PCB. (0 min 32 sec)

Spartan Quark gyro production. Putting solder paste onto the PCBs. (0 min 35 sec)

Spartan Quark gyro. PCB reflow. (0 min 32 sec)

Spartan Quark gyro circuit board production. Robot placing components on PCB. (0 min 32 sec)
RcSuperSales-Net is offline Find More Posts by RcSuperSales-Net
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2009, 03:24 PM
Born again newbie
Calgary, Canada
Joined Jul 2007
994 Posts
What are the main differences between the ds760 and the Quark?
dmulligan is offline Find More Posts by dmulligan
Old Dec 22, 2009, 02:12 AM
Joined Aug 2007
864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmulligan View Post
What are the main differences between the ds760 and the Quark?
I asked the Spartan Crew themselves. They should be posting an answer soon. Figured it would be best to get the word from the Horse's mouth.

Kyle
Old Dec 28, 2009, 01:16 AM
Rotary~myPast,Present &Future!
SINGAPORE
Joined May 2006
2,220 Posts
my mini review on the Trex 250.

I made up my mind to don the Spartan Quark gyro and the 0.06sec Hyperion servo on this bird because this is one bird that gave me a hard time in getting the tail to perform right.

Setting up the Quark was a breeze as the manual covered everything in detail. It was also mentioned that the gyro should not be touching anything at all. So, I placed the tiny gyro right inside the main frame where it will be protected in a crash and I took ample time to ensure that none of the wires would come into contact with the gyro (as shown in picture below).

I did the standard tail-drift check in Rate mode and re-adjusted the tail pushrod's length. I was alarmed at how fast the bird piro, it was a complete blurred vision. Totally unreal! But the crazy spinning stopped instantly the moment the stick was returned to neutral.
In Rate mode, the rudder's dual rate had to be lowered to 85% to tame down the piro speed.
In HH mode, the default piro speed was perfect so I left the dual rate untouched at 100%.

The combination of the Hyperion Servo and the Quark is fantastic! The tail now holds in very strong wind (gain at 17%) and I only have to worry about my collective input as the heli gets bounced up and down by the unpredictable gusts.

All of the bad tendencies of the 250's tail have been eradicated. Needless to say, I'm SO HAPPY WITH THIS QUARK.
terencechan is offline Find More Posts by terencechan
Old Dec 29, 2009, 01:45 PM
Joined Aug 2007
864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by terencechan View Post
I made up my mind to don the Spartan Quark gyro and the 0.06sec Hyperion servo on this bird because this is one bird that gave me a hard time in getting the tail to perform right....

All of the bad tendencies of the 250's tail have been eradicated. Needless to say, I'm SO HAPPY WITH THIS QUARK.
Rock on man thanks for sharing! Glad the Spartan is working out for you.

Can't wait to hear more people's thoughts on this awesome gyro.

Happy New Year!

Kyle
Old Dec 31, 2009, 09:04 AM
SINGAPORE
Joined May 2006
2,220 Posts
You are welcome Kyle.
Have a Happy New Year!
Old Feb 16, 2010, 04:19 PM
Joined Sep 2009
178 Posts
i try it into my t rex 250, but the tail drift to right very very slowly, 5 degrees after 1-2 minutes
any opinion, i tryed the thin and think pad
maRRRco is offline Find More Posts by maRRRco
Old Feb 16, 2010, 04:34 PM
I butcher foam
Springfield, MO
Joined Jun 2008
1,559 Posts
I put a Quark on my new MSH Protos 500

It held the tail rock solid (for as long as my maiden lasted) in below freezing weather. Winds were at 25 gusting to 30+. Tail never once moved on me, even in heavy gusts that would toss the heli around violently.

My Telebee/401 clones can't do that.

My father's new GP750 has an operating temperature spec of 0C on the low end. According to Angelos@Spartan the Quark can do -18C to 56C - great for us who occasionally find a tough winter. I believe 56C to be ~130 degrees F.

It's tiny so you can buy this gyro for a tiny bird and at the same time, slap it on a .90 size. It grows with you.

Programming was easy. I don't like the button placement to access programming, but you can use the tx to toggle in on power up.

Looks like the adapter to use the USB link is due out in a few months.

From what I've read people can't tell the difference between the 760 and Quark in flight. Angelos @ Spartan has said the Quark has different guts.

I will be replacing my 401s and Telebees with Quarks as money permits. The thing is very close to plug in play!

Bare in mind I've flown the Quark less than one minute, but in horrible conditions. I'll know more once my crash repair parts come in later this week and I can re-maiden the Protos in better weather.

Also I can't 3D. It's likely that most gyros can hold the tail for me and my slow hovering around and my few seconds of real FF lately.

The things I've learned about gyros?

1) Without a good tail servo you're probably screwed no matter what Gyro you get.

2) Problems with mechanical setup can make even the best gyro/servo combo puke.

That being said, with no issues with #1 or #2 above the Quark is probably hard to beat.
rballz is offline Find More Posts by rballz
Old Feb 20, 2010, 08:26 AM
SINGAPORE
Joined May 2006
2,220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maRRRco View Post
i try it into my t rex 250, but the tail drift to right very very slowly, 5 degrees after 1-2 minutes
any opinion, i tryed the thin and think pad
It is hard to completely get rid of tail drift on a 250 if your in rate mode. But I'm able to make the 450 and the 500 completely drift-free in rate mode. That being said, make sure u turn on the heading lock mode for your 250. If it still drifts, check the end points of the tail pitch slider(must have sufficient pitch for both directions) and re-adjust the HH gain in your tx.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 11:18 AM
Joined Sep 2009
178 Posts
yes, also in HH the tail have a drift, the endpoint are correct and the gain 65% with spektrum
the tail and the hely is new, without crash
i try pad think and thin, nothing
i must try align gel, but with a 20$ gyro i have not drift
maRRRco is offline Find More Posts by maRRRco
Old Feb 22, 2010, 09:22 AM
SINGAPORE
Joined May 2006
2,220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maRRRco View Post
yes, also in HH the tail have a drift, the endpoint are correct and the gain 65% with spektrum
the tail and the hely is new, without crash
i try pad think and thin, nothing
i must try align gel, but with a 20$ gyro i have not drift
something's not right, you must have gotten a defective unit. The Quark brought new life to my Trex250 when I was almost giving up on its tail. The HH gain on mine is only 17% with the 42mm square tail blades.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 11:07 PM
Suspended Account
Everett Wa.
Joined Jun 2001
5,925 Posts
They are working great in both my 8 cell T-Rex 600 and my 4 cell T-rex 450 SE V1/V2. I can't fly 3D but can do a lot of aerobatics. High speed backwards inverted flight, Backward roll, stationary flips and funnels, you get the idea.

I think all one really needs to do is look at what is happening to the price of the Futaba G520 to see what impact this gyro is having on the gyro market. As of this date the G520 is selling for the same street price as the time tested Futaba GY401
Konrad is offline Find More Posts by Konrad
Old Feb 25, 2010, 04:12 AM
Kent, wa
Joined Jan 2010
10 Posts
I was gonna get a 401 for my swift 16 but after discovering this unit and seeing all the good reviews and die hard fans, its looking bleak for the 401. I am new to the hobby and I figure, if im gonna spend the money, I might as well spend it right the first time around. Should I go for the quark or the 760 for my sized heli. I saw a couple of you guys say that you could run the quark in almost any size heli... is this really the case? If so, I might just see if I can get a deal and buy 3 or 4 at the same time.

Happy flying gents!!
sherlok is offline Find More Posts by sherlok
Old Feb 25, 2010, 06:36 AM
Joined Oct 2007
785 Posts
Another great result on a t-rex 250 here...

Locked in the tail with a ds290g and a quark, holds wonderfully even in quite gusty winds.
rusty_y2k2 is offline Find More Posts by rusty_y2k2
Old Feb 25, 2010, 12:23 PM
I butcher foam
Springfield, MO
Joined Jun 2008
1,559 Posts
I'm not sure of the technical differences between the 760 and Quark.

Quark is thumbnail size and the 760 is bigger.

A Swift 16 would be happy with either.

A Trex 250 may or may not hold the 760..I dont have either the 760 or the Trex.

The Quark would fit on almost anything..just so tiny.

USB/Bluetooth adapter for the Quark is not out yet...760 you can configure with a computer or phone via bluetooth. Not a big deal for me since the gyro is easy to configure with the tx or push button.
rballz is offline Find More Posts by rballz