Old Dec 09, 2009, 08:37 PM
Erik with a K
Toledo, OH
Joined Aug 2007
1,119 Posts
Video
Sketchup How to: Custom Firewall for an F4U

Alt you tube video here:
Making a firewall for a Sketchup design full 3D RC aircraft (5 min 55 sec)
tvcasualty is offline Find More Posts by tvcasualty
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2009, 06:35 PM
Plowin Dirt
USA, WA, Benton City
Joined Oct 2007
1,555 Posts
Glad to another SK user putting something together.

Dan
deckert is offline Find More Posts by deckert
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Transmissions for planes
Old Dec 12, 2009, 10:54 AM
Gravity gets me down.
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Oct 2004
2,049 Posts
How have you translated your SK drawings to scaled parts templates?

I worked with SK, but in the last version of SK I worked with it was not easy to translate 3D back to 2D AND print out the templates in the correct scale. Any tips suggestions?
wingbeat is online now Find More Posts by wingbeat
Old Dec 13, 2009, 08:38 AM
Erik with a K
Toledo, OH
Joined Aug 2007
1,119 Posts
Is SK Sketchup?
Old Dec 13, 2009, 10:05 AM
Gravity gets me down.
Joined Oct 2004
2,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvcasualty View Post
Is SK Sketchup?
yep
Old Dec 13, 2009, 10:27 AM
Erik with a K
Toledo, OH
Joined Aug 2007
1,119 Posts
well, then it's a pain in the @#$# to do so.
You have to select options as the attachment shows. But SK uses a stupid margin system that makes the program almost worthless for normal printing. Even if you have a part that will fit on an 8.5x11 standard paper, you will have to trick the program into only printing one page, normally it will try to print 4 pages with the part square in the center of the 4 printed pages.

What I do to get around that is zoom it to print many pages, it will set the goofy margins, then I find the page that shows my part and only print page 13 of 64. This takes some trial and obviously some time to do.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 10:44 AM
Gravity gets me down.
Joined Oct 2004
2,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvcasualty View Post
well, then it's a pain in the @#$# to do so.
You have to select options as the attachment shows. But SK uses a stupid margin system that makes the program almost worthless for normal printing. Even if you have a part that will fit on an 8.5x11 standard paper, you will have to trick the program into only printing one page, normally it will try to print 4 pages with the part square in the center of the 4 printed pages.

What I do to get around that is zoom it to print many pages, it will set the goofy margins, then I find the page that shows my part and only print page 13 of 64. This takes some trial and obviously some time to do.
Thanks Erik-
I was hoping maybe there was an upgrade to SketchUp, or perhaps a 3rd party tweek that would allow for accurate scaled 2D print outs.
cheers
Old Dec 14, 2009, 11:09 AM
Gravity gets me down.
Joined Oct 2004
2,049 Posts
Ah-HA!

Found some things that may help- this SketchUp plug in looks worth experimenting with.

Also type in "print to scale" in SU help and it seems that SU options may be improving.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 02:59 PM
Erik with a K
Toledo, OH
Joined Aug 2007
1,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingbeat View Post
Ah-HA!

Found some things that may help- this SketchUp plug in looks worth experimenting with.

Also type in "print to scale" in SU help and it seems that SU options may be improving.
Good to hear that it is being looked in to, I will have to read that thread later, it seems like a good find.

There is another version of a slicer mod that I use oftern, check out the cowl I did for my typhoon last summer, I will be using this for a new canopy mold as well.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=60