Old May 20, 2003, 04:19 AM
Faroe Islands/Germany
Joined Nov 2000
5,983 Posts
C/L flyers also like attractive women:

http://www.pingvinen.dk/Default/divbil.html

This was a school project!

Michael

PS: Hasn't Clara put on a bit of weight?
epilot is offline Find More Posts by epilot
to remove ads between posts
Old May 20, 2003, 05:37 AM
Thats NOT indestructible
London UK
Joined Apr 2002
1,448 Posts
Michael - I want to go to that school.

Josh
j8m8l is offline Find More Posts by j8m8l
Old May 20, 2003, 02:29 PM
Eye Drather Beef Lying
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Aug 2002
2,696 Posts
It's funny that no one gasps in horror and rushes to the TV remote to switch the channel when a scantily-clad girl pops onto the screen in a commercial or something. Although it might not be "consistent" with the intent of a model airplane magazine, there is no more skin showing on a typical 80's RCM cover than a typical bath soap or women's underwear commercial, even at their worst.
It's all about selling magazines (and subsequently, advertiser space). Do bikini-clad women have a lot to do with professional sports (Sports Illustrated)? Nope, but those swimsuit issues sure do jump off the rack and into the checkout line.

I'm not ashamed of being appreciative of beauty. Give me pretty women, holding pretty airplanes all day long.

Rick
ElectRick is offline Find More Posts by ElectRick
Old May 20, 2003, 03:00 PM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,979 Posts
Mr. Charles Todd,
Please don't get offended with the following question. You appear to write from two minds. One is purely English and one is pretty close to the new world. When you express yourself simply, usually near the end, do you think in English and then translate for us commoners or do you actually think in "Our brand of English".

I truly enjoy your use of the Queen's English. It reminds me so much of what we called Sophomore Lit in college. My trouble is that sometimes I get lost, but then you bring me right back in with the last sentence or two worded in "Our English".

Keep posting. I have a good friend who gave up being a registered pharmacist to become an English Professor, Piled High and Deep and everything. He has also published several plays. He could understand you better than I, but I'll keep trying.

Peace,
LcJ
LcJ is offline Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Old May 21, 2003, 01:13 AM
Voices through wires? Ha!
Joined Feb 2003
1,659 Posts
Around here it is cause for complaint if a man's words admit of more than one meaning

Hi LcJ,

Sir of course no offence, although I am a little surprised that it is that obvious? Language is a superbly expressive antidote to the isolation that can otherwise envelop us all, and why not stretch the limits a bit and grow with the medium?

I mention the heading quote as one of Thoreau's, when his humane and benign ramblings were entirely misunderstood by his grubby and materialistic contemporaries. Brits (amongst whom I spent thirty years ) are often speechless when confronted with the literal and pedestrian failure of New World English to leap beyond the mundane. Already in this thread other correspondents have picked up on a joke and repeated it, as though to prove that they were entirely insensible to irony in the first place.

Please don't think I'm trying to be some sort of superior Poindexter, it's not like that at all. But grinding commercial endeavour and a jaw-slackening ignorance of the precedents has reduced New World expression to a sorry pass, and that is a fact.

Chuck Yeager was recently interviewed by a Brit newscaster and got utterly shirty when irony crept in. He was actually being complimented on his sound-barrier pioneering but he nearly lost his rag due to a binary comprehension.

I know this is totally off thread but you did ask.

This will irritate a lot of people, I know, but what's wrong with putting your heart into what you say and not always grubbing down to the lowest perception? It is a ridiculous demand that England and America make, that you should speak so that they understand you.

Chas
Chas is offline Find More Posts by Chas
Last edited by Chas; May 21, 2003 at 01:17 AM.
Old May 21, 2003, 09:00 AM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,761 Posts
Eschew obfuscation....
Megowcoupe is online now Find More Posts by Megowcoupe
Old May 21, 2003, 11:14 AM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,979 Posts
Sir Charles,
I'm truly glad you weren't offended. Perchance you are a version of Howard Cosel reborn for model aviation.

Now back to the thread, and keep posting and I'll keep reading.

Beauty is never to be taken lightly. "Why thou wert there o rival of the rose..." Whether it is in human form or human endeavour.
To be blunt, I like the covers with the carbon form beauties. I like the carbon fiber versions also. As my ole Daddy used to say, "Just because you are on a diet, doesn't mean you can't look at the menu!."

Last point. It is interesting at the studies that have shown, students acquire more knowledge from pretty teachers.

Peace,
LcJ
LcJ is offline Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Old May 21, 2003, 12:20 PM
Long-Time Member
Cologne, Germany
Joined Dec 1996
2,400 Posts
I hadn't checked this thread for a few weeks until today, and I'm quite surprised how it's coming along.

Epilot,

I've got an American friend in Horsens whom I haven't visited in a while. About 12 years ago, while he was living in Aarhus, I visited him and on 4 July we took a drive to Aalborg because he told me the women there were out of this world -- and there was a U.S. destoyer ship in port for American expats to revel with in our Independence Day celebration.

I had a great time sightseeing.

And I give you an A+ for your school project.
James Frolik is offline Find More Posts by James Frolik
Old May 21, 2003, 12:25 PM
Joined Feb 2003
1,659 Posts
Megowcoupe

Sory, dont geddit.
Chas
Old May 21, 2003, 03:04 PM
Faroe Islands/Germany
Joined Nov 2000
5,983 Posts
James, I live near Aalborg (and I'm born on July 4th.) I was never much into sailors but you are right about the pretty girls.

Unfortunately the C/L-model photos are not my doing. However I was present at the party where the new C/L combat model was introduced and christened. It's name is "Jegskagidigskajeg" which means something like "Imgonnagetyouyesiam". Sadly none of the young ladies in the pictures were present

Michael
epilot is offline Find More Posts by epilot
Old May 21, 2003, 03:17 PM
Eye Drather Beef Lying
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Aug 2002
2,696 Posts
Heh heh I like it

If I may.

eschew = avoid
obfuscation = making (something) unclear or misunderstood

In other words, "be clear and direct".

Am I close, MegowCoupe?

Rick
ElectRick is offline Find More Posts by ElectRick
Old May 21, 2003, 03:30 PM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,761 Posts
That's how I understood it....

If you look in the humor section of this site- frequently people post favorite bumper stickers. Eschew Obfuscation was one of my favorites....

and your translation is what I thought it meant.

Sam
Megowcoupe is online now Find More Posts by Megowcoupe
Old May 21, 2003, 03:39 PM
LT
Stavern, Norway
Joined Jun 2001
143 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by j8m8l
Michael - I want to go to that school.

Josh
And that explains why I like to spend my hollidays in Denmark.
Besides they have one of northern europe's best slopes (in Hanstholm) and cheap beer.
LT is offline Find More Posts by LT
Old May 21, 2003, 05:49 PM
Cincinnati, OH USA
Joined Oct 2000
1,961 Posts
I'm hardly PC, but IMO, cover girls and cheesecake content are a big step backward for aeromodeling. It's not a question of political correctness or offensiveness; it's a question of appropriateness.

We have thread after thread on this discussion board in which RCers are offended that they aren't taken seriously. Well, aeromodeling is either a positive hobby/sport that family members can share, OR it's a bunch of overgrown kids playing with toys and drooling at girly pictures. You can't have it both ways.

I'll add that the obviously-staged photos of young women pretending to fly airplanes are just plain silly. Two or three of the better-known US aeromodeling magazines have moved in this direction lately, and I think it portrays the hobby in a less-than-flattering light. Well-done cover photos of aircraft in flight look really dramatic (and are all the more impressive for those of us who have burned roll after roll of film trying to take them). An obviously-staged photo just looks fake.

BTW, I can't imagine these cheesecake photos encouraging women to enter the hobby. IMO it just feeds the stereotype of modelers having arrested social development. I know more than one modeler who gets a lot of grief from the spouse if a magazine shows up in the mailbox with a T&A cover.

Jim
Jim Ryan is offline Find More Posts by Jim Ryan
Old May 22, 2003, 03:02 AM
Joined Feb 2003
1,659 Posts
Electrick and Megowcoupe

Yes, thanks guys, I know what the words mean.
I was wondering what you meant.
Chas
Closed Thread