HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old May 10, 2003, 06:51 PM
Voices through wires? Ha!
Joined Feb 2003
1,659 Posts
You can't say that...

Hi Tram,
Yes, I was trying to use a little irony to contrast Cap'n Bodge's statement that the US was "politically-correct-obsessed"! It's really weird the idea that foreigners have of the US, even comparatively enlightened foreigners - and the Clare Short bit was to pont out that the Empress of PC is Brit. It's all a nonsense of course, no offence meant to either side, but can't we joke about jiggers of whisky or fetching lasses on plane covers? What else can't we joke about? If you guage by the sensibilities of some individuals you'll be a long time launching ANY comment!
If I object to meat pies, do I write to Warner Bros to get them to ban Wimpy because I might be offended? It's none of my business.
Regards
Charles Todd
Chas is offline Find More Posts by Chas
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2003, 07:43 PM
Atlanta Metro Area
Joined Jan 2003
44 Posts
RCM

Pat Crews is still editor of RCM and has been for many years. When Don Dewey, founder of RCM, was alive he caught a lot of flack from modelers about the female models posing on the cover of RCM.
BooBoo is offline Find More Posts by BooBoo
Old May 11, 2003, 07:13 PM
Winnipeg, MB Canada
Joined Jan 2000
2,419 Posts
One of the most memorable covers for RCM was a Master Scale plane by local Modeler Gerry Fingler being held by our local beauty Sylvia Kuzyk. Well that was 20 years ago and Gerry is still at it with fine models, and Sylvia, while a bit heavier, is still doing the Wx. on local TV.

Nothing wrong with having a good looking person in the same photo with a good looking model aircraft. Tex.
Sabrejock is offline Find More Posts by Sabrejock
Old May 11, 2003, 09:30 PM
ARFs make me BARF
United States, MI, Roseville
Joined Dec 2000
9,073 Posts
I think most of you have missed huge point. Model Airplane magazines are not in the business of promoting model airplanes. They are in business to make money for thier owners. It is a business. Businesses make money, Money comes from advertisers, advertisers do so in magazines with high readership. It makes good sense to me to throw a hottie on the cover...plus, whats so wrong with appreciating beauty? Hot Rod does it, Sports Illustrated does it, auto companies do it. It sells, and it makes money, period.

Mark

Mark
mrittinger is offline Find More Posts by mrittinger
Old May 11, 2003, 10:06 PM
United States, NC, Harrisburg
Joined Mar 1999
1,172 Posts
Sabrejock,

Just wait 'til Sylvia hears what you said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As far as this thread goes,I like the "coffee table" theory,and I wouldn't want the pic of the girl riding the aerobat gracing my coffee table.
Hammer is offline Find More Posts by Hammer
Old May 11, 2003, 10:17 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,310 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Hammer

As far as this thread goes,I like the "coffee table" theory,and I wouldn't want the pic of the girl riding the aerobat gracing my coffee table.
Ah, but are you a 24 year old bachelor? I wouldn't mind it.. But then again.. my coffee table has a building board on it.. so it wouldn't grace mine either.

Onan- I just wasn't sure what a "jegro" was.. However, people on the other side of the pond have a skewed view of American's.. As we do of them.. That's just part of it.. There are alot of generalizations I make about the common Englishman, as I'm sure they make about the common Yank...
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old May 12, 2003, 12:17 AM
Joined Feb 2003
1,659 Posts
You're not Kidding!

You said it Tram!
I moved to Saskatoon, Canada, and that Christmas a buddy of mine from England (a well-educated guy!) went to Miami, Fla for his Christmas holiday. He phoned me up in Saskatoon and suggested I drive down to see him for a few cold tubes!!
The only way I could impress upon him the request that he was making was to say, OK, let's start at London England and you drive the same distance you're asking me to drive. Where would you be?
He said "Well I KNOW it's a long way. Paris, maybe?"
Try Karachi!!
So no wonder there are some misunderstandings.
Cheers
Chas
Old May 12, 2003, 12:47 PM
29 rods from you in western WI
Joined Jan 2003
4,885 Posts
Hehe, ya lost me at "tubes"!
Karl B is offline Find More Posts by Karl B
Old May 15, 2003, 05:14 AM
Smoke me a Kipper
UK, Beds
Joined Jan 2003
372 Posts
Onan
Your 'well educated' english friend obvioulsy didnt pay attention in geography class
Jeez, how could he not realise the huge distance, did he never look at an atlas before?
sao_bilious is offline Find More Posts by sao_bilious
Old May 15, 2003, 10:18 AM
Joined Feb 2003
1,659 Posts
I know Sao, I know! I've ribbed him about it ever since. But I get the same thing here - from Americans ("Say Buddy, how far can I go into Canada before American money is no good?")! Similarly,
"Oh yeah, we have some friends in the UK, and some also in Great Britain". There was a TV show where two girls were asked where the UK was; they said the Ukraine - then when prompted with a hint, that it was the United Kingdom, they said "Oh Yeah! Disneyland!". Another guy conducted TV-type opinion interviews in the street in the US, and said that Canada was asking to use US shipping ports as it had no coastline of its own would this be ok? Most said "Sure, why not?"
It's all relative. I wouldn't make out too well in Tobago. It depends how you are yarded. I notice your location is quoted as
"UK near London" - Edinburgh perhaps?
Sorry to get off thread, so "Bring on the alluring damsels". But
NO ANKLES!! That is RIGHT OUT!!
Chas
Old May 15, 2003, 09:48 PM
Will work for planes
Fullerton, California, United States
Joined Jan 2002
1,783 Posts
I thought England was part of the UK not the whole of it. I could be wrong.

Back on to the topic. I for personaly beleve that is neither right or wrong it is upto the person decide for them selves. Those who do not like it have this great thing called freedom of choise. You don't like it don't buy it. Those of you who are offended by a bikini clad woman have ervery right to be offended. What you do not have is the right to deny others the right to have that in the magazine regardless of wether or not it pertains to the magazine content.

As far for the E-Zone rules well it's there site they run it how the want. I will say this though A lot is done to protect and shelter children. And as soon as some one sees something they don't like they try and Ban it. Just like the people who say there is too much violence and TV and the movies. Hey you don't want your kid to watch it, unplug the TV and put it in the trash or monitor what they watch.
omega blood is offline Find More Posts by omega blood
Old May 15, 2003, 11:57 PM
Joined Feb 2003
1,659 Posts
Hi Omega
Nobody mentioned England!
Chas
Old May 16, 2003, 12:01 AM
Joined Feb 2003
1,659 Posts
(Well, except me when I described my friend "from England"!)
Chas
Old May 16, 2003, 08:20 AM
Smoke me a Kipper
UK, Beds
Joined Jan 2003
372 Posts
Yers i suppose Uk near london isnt exactly a great description is it, but then why do you need to know exaclty where i am? you can get from one end of the country to the other in a day

Fon Kinnics info

Tubes (cans of beer)
sao_bilious is offline Find More Posts by sao_bilious
Old May 20, 2003, 01:12 AM
Eye Drather Beef Lying
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Aug 2002
2,696 Posts
It COULD be worse...

I, for one, would MUCH rather have bikini-clad girls on the cover, if they must be in bikinis.
It sure is less offensive than a balding, hairy pot-bellied man in a bikini on the cover.

Anyone remember those old Rubber Ducky glider ads from the 70's? The glider was the only "clothing" the girl was wearing! Even I thought those were a little racy, especially for the time.

But I looked at them anyway.

Rick
ElectRick is offline Find More Posts by ElectRick
Closed Thread