HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old May 08, 2003, 10:18 AM
UK
Joined May 2003
3 Posts
Brian (and everybody)

I apologise for hijacking the thread and taking it off topic - censorship is such an issue for me that I cannot and will not stand by while it occurs. The altering of someone's posts by a third party such that the meaning or feeling of the post is lost is simply not acceptable to me, however openly you do it. However, those are the rules by which the site is run. I have never before encountered an internet forum run along these lines, but then I've never used a forum hosted in the political-correctness-obsessed US before. I can't accept those rules, and hence I will desist from posting any more.
Captain_Bodge is offline Find More Posts by Captain_Bodge
to remove ads between posts
Old May 08, 2003, 11:18 AM
Voices through wires? Ha!
Joined Feb 2003
1,659 Posts
Cap'n I hope you're still reading at least.
The politically-correctness- obsessed US? True, Alabama is very PC, you have to order a jegro of whisky there now, but the majority of citizens here are the same cast and ilk as you will find anywhere in Western society these days. Just ask Clare Short. And the moderator whose function you resent is from your own neck of the woods.
Come on guys, for Pete's sake can't we just enjoy our planes?

Chas
Chas is offline Find More Posts by Chas
Old May 08, 2003, 11:54 AM
36 Russky jets
malaysia
Joined Nov 2002
258 Posts
Straying for the topic of this discussion,

Capt. Bodge,
Don't leave the forum, man. This forum is THE place to find out stuff on RC planes and stuff.You've only posted 3 posts, all in this thread. Like all other members of this forum, I'm sure you have ideas and questions on RC and other stuff that can be answered in this forum.

Back to the original discussion topic ,

IMO if I wanted to see pretty women, I'd pick up a womens mag, or switch on the TV. When I pick up an RC mag I want to see RC! I want to get the latest scoop on RC stuff, and I want to read RC related stuff. RCM has women on their covers, but on the covers of the issues I have they don't look like models , they look like everyday women, the message that I get is that ANYONE can fly. You don't have to be the covergirl of some fashion mag to experience the joy of flight, and on the cover of one of their more recent issues is a young boy holding his airplane , yup he's a ten or eleven year old flying a sport(I think) model.
daisycutter is offline Find More Posts by daisycutter
Old May 08, 2003, 12:05 PM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,761 Posts
Aesthetics counts...

We all seem to have accepted that only pretty model airplanes make it onto the cover of a mag. I think we can all relate to this concept- would you really be interested in looking at a 10 year old model with patches, mismatched covering, seams showing, stained, dented etc? Nor do we have covers of Lite Stiks, again, for what I think are obvious reasons. So airplanes don't make it onto the cover because they're common, numerous or representative of what is flown most often. Cover airplanes are occasionally unusual, but 99 times out of a 100, are really attractive models. Consequently, if editors are going to use aesthetic criteria to pick airplanes to put on the cover (or in the rag), then why are we surprised when they use similar criteria to pick the human subjects that appear with the airplane? Makes sense to me...

Sam
Megowcoupe is offline Find More Posts by Megowcoupe
Old May 08, 2003, 12:30 PM
Too Little Too Late
MICHIGAN... 48189
Joined Jan 2002
323 Posts
Not having many women involved in RC is one thing. At last aprils Toledo show, one of the largest and best in America; I could count on one hand the number of Blacks that attended. Why??? I am really curious as to why we can't reach a more varied membership. If anyone knows a plausible reason for this obivious lack of diversity, I would like to know.
BIGSAPPY is offline Find More Posts by BIGSAPPY
Old May 08, 2003, 12:38 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,499 Posts
Re: Forget content, it's size that counts

Quote:
Originally posted by BEA flyer
Sparky, how many bytes is that picture you posted? I can't get even pictures that my free eyeball webcam took posted because the file sizes are too big.

Re pretty girls, I think they should definitely have clothes on if they are portrayed holding a model airplane on the cover of a magazine. Everyone knows that UV exposure is a major caiuse of skin cancer, and sunblock reacts with monocote and other heat shrink covering.
The original image is from a Pencam... 960x1248, 216.1 kB.. the one mentioned was resized to 605x786, 98 kB to get below the 100k limit.
The parking lot over there BTW is the western terminus of a multi-use trail the city of Palmdale has installed out in the boondocks. Lots of foot and bike traffic. I ride it a lot on my mountain bike.. And there's many women who use it. Many more than I've ever seen stop by a model airplane field..
And here's one of the oldie but goodie RCM covers...VERY healthy young lady...
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old May 08, 2003, 12:58 PM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,787 Posts
Hi Paul,

Hey I remember that issue (I wasn't even twenty back then ). And as I was a regular subscriber, what about this one:
Jurgen Heilig is online now Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Old May 08, 2003, 01:00 PM
Joined Sep 2000
18,787 Posts
Even the advertising was different. Jürgen
P.S.: Isn't she holding the tx the wrong way round?
Old May 08, 2003, 03:49 PM
Is it summer yet?
Flight Level 46 X 92
Joined Feb 2002
2,000 Posts
I told you so.......And seems to me the editor of RCM back then was a female.
gouda is online now Find More Posts by gouda
Old May 08, 2003, 04:30 PM
Extra 330L
Pawleys Island, South Carolina
Joined Apr 2002
979 Posts
Whew, !

Just got through this thread and the pics-to-posts ratio is way too low!

The funniest thing I envision is being on ezone, with a wife like heather, fighting over the keyboard If she has a husband, I hope he knows how lucky he is!

Rob
Rob Honeycutt is offline Find More Posts by Rob Honeycutt
Old May 08, 2003, 05:23 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SouthCarolina-E
Whew, !

Just got through this thread and the pics-to-posts ratio is way too low!

The funniest thing I envision is being on ezone, with a wife like heather, fighting over the keyboard If she has a husband, I hope he knows how lucky he is!

Rob
No need to fight.... his and hers laptops...
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old May 08, 2003, 07:58 PM
29 rods from you in western WI
Joined Jan 2003
4,885 Posts
My grandfather dumped his subscription to RCM back then because of those pictures. Even as a young teenager, I thought it odd to see such cover subjects.

I bought RCM and MAN single issues from time to time, but never subscribed to RCM due to the skimpy content-to-ad ratio. MAN was a bit better, but I've let my scrip lapse due to the cookie-cutter reviews with phrases like "flew without any trim adjustment" and "stalls are gentle and straight ahead". ARF .40 trainer? Stalls straight ahead. Half-A scale triplane? Stalls straight ahead. 10 lb turbine powered composite streak? You guessed it, straight ahead (gentle, too).

As to freedom of speech, everyone always forgets that being heard carries NO guarantee.

Karl
Karl B² is offline Find More Posts by Karl B²
Old May 09, 2003, 04:57 PM
Joined Sep 2000
18,787 Posts
Wrote an eMail to Patrick Lemonnier (www.plprod.com) and got an immediate response. He appears to be a nice guy, and it looks like his advertising campaign is paying off. The girl in the photo series is very well known in France and is currently in the process of changing her field of activities. Jürgen

P.S.: Patrick even told me how much he paid for the photo session.
Old May 10, 2003, 04:50 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,310 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Onan
The politically-correctness- obsessed US? True, Alabama is very PC, you have to order a jegro of whisky there now,
I'm not sure what a "jegro" is but I'm sure this was all in good fun. Alabama being PC.. That's just funny.. The only thing politically correct in ALabama are the foreigners.
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old May 10, 2003, 06:30 PM
Long-Time Member
Cologne, Germany
Joined Dec 1996
2,400 Posts
Jeurgen Heilig is pretty resourceful with his photography. Looks nice...and he's got nice neighbors.
James Frolik is offline Find More Posts by James Frolik
Closed Thread