Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Closed Thread
Old May 08, 2003, 12:51 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,444 Posts
Folks

I have made certain edits in this thread, all of which are identified by the use of italics and bold text as is the policy on RC Groups. Before posting objections on any perceived infringement of free speech or policical correctness please consider the following.

This thread has been reported to me by a member as being inappropriate for discussion in this forum. The subject matter has been discussed previously and is related to aeromodelling and how the hobby is portrayed.

However the forum posting guidelines located at the top of this forum are clear and they state:

Quote:
1. This is a family friendly site. Users shall refrain from cursing, posting lewd or offensive pictures, text, or other media, or in any other way conducting themselves in a manner that would be uncomfortable for children or the parents of children who browse here.
If a member has reported the thread and is uncomfortable with anything posted therein then, especially if that member is a minor, that is cause for concern.

Consequently I've had to edit some references to what I've called euphemistically "glamour actresses" is some posts. Rather than being politically correct I prefer to think of it as a matter of good manners and consideration for other members. Parents should not be uncomfortable in having to explain what the original terminology means if they are browsing this site in the company of their children. Comparison with pop artists, Page Three girls and the TV are irrelevant when it comes to setting the standard for what is considered appropriate on this site.

Brian
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old May 08, 2003, 01:43 AM
Turbines suck ;-)
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Mar 2000
1,636 Posts
In Holland they have extremely liberal views regarding sex, nudity and drugs - and yet......here's the funny thing ....they have the lowest teen pregnancy and drug problem in Europe (including the UK).

People are obscessed with protecting their kids from the real world, hiding their playboy magazines in the cupboard, and whining about pictures of girls in aero model magazines. Get a life ! What do they think their kids see and hear on the streets and learn from their friends and peers. These folk bury their heads in the sand thinking that because it is not in the home or the "E-zone" it does not exist.

As suggested earlier --look at the, dare I use the word .....erotic....... music videos released by Kylie, Brittany, Madonna et al and the rap videos where, those fellas are always grabbing their crotch and rapping about drugs, killing and guns! The kids are allowed to watch that rubbish but a picture of a girl in an aeromodel magazine is a problem!! Go figure!
rorywquin is offline Find More Posts by rorywquin
Old May 08, 2003, 02:14 AM
Ireland
Joined Apr 2001
4,026 Posts
please don't let common sence come in the way of narrow minded uptight views

Being Dutch i am so used to the "sex sells" ways that it lost its effect on me. but i shure am not offended by it either.

And to comment on the original pic ; could that girl be moved out of the way; she blocks the view of the true model
cmulder is offline Find More Posts by cmulder
Old May 08, 2003, 06:02 AM
UK
Joined May 2003
3 Posts
I've only just joined this forum, but if this is the kind of censorship I can expect then I shall leave immediately. I simply cannot believe that, in the 21st century, we are STILL beholden to values which have their roots in the callous censorship of the Victorian era. Trying to protect children by pretending sex doesn't exist simply makes them (a) find out about it from their friends - thereby getting a distorted and inaccurate view and (b) feel that sex is something dirty and shameful, which makes them ashamed of their own natural instincts. Yes, there are perversions in the world, but pretending that sex is somethig that children need to be protected from is the worst of them all. I will not participate in any forum where censorship on such a fascistic scale is practised, so this will be my first and only post. Goodbye.
Captain_Bodge is offline Find More Posts by Captain_Bodge
Old May 08, 2003, 06:29 AM
Voices through wires? Ha!
Joined Feb 2003
1,658 Posts
'Bye Cap.
Chas is offline Find More Posts by Chas
Old May 08, 2003, 06:42 AM
Scale Builder, RCAPA #29
Lansdale, PA
Joined Jan 2002
1,370 Posts
Try helis

The heli market is something I haven't seen mentioned, but Vario Heli uses quite a bit of women on their site. Click on a heli they produce and the first thing you are distracted by is the quality of their kits and fine lines.

Vario USA

By the way, Vario has begun changing this approach and haveing more video of their helis or photos. Only a few of the helis still have the old, but nice, promotion. Check out the photo gallery for lots of photos of women with RC helis
Rob Schaffer is offline Find More Posts by Rob Schaffer
Last edited by Rob Schaffer; May 08, 2003 at 06:46 AM.
Old May 08, 2003, 06:57 AM
Is it summer yet?
Flight Level 46 X 92
Joined Feb 2002
1,992 Posts
Do any of you recall a number of years ago when RCM featured women on the cover regulary and quickly became known as RC Playboy? (Bring this up could really date me) It was quite a while ago and the photos were not all that lude even for that era, but it stopped very quickly as I recall.
I'm with Heather all the way. Besides I have a beautiful wife that lets me induldge in my modelling hobby. What more could I ask for? And she's a Kiwi, Heather.
gouda is offline Find More Posts by gouda
Old May 08, 2003, 07:08 AM
Joined Feb 2003
1,658 Posts
I'm very fond of a remark of Thoreau's,
"If you are shocked, of whose experience are you reminded?".
I hope Jurgen's black rectangles were facetiously applied (I'm sure they were Jurgen!) but why not put the rectangles on the young lady's eyes? Or arms? Or feet? Or the plane's wheels?
The Victorians used to cover piano legs with stockings because they thought they were voluptuously indecent. So this has nothing to do with model planes, or magazines - it's to do with our perceptions, and as such is irrelevant to model flying.
No more P.38's, or those obscenely gravid Liberators! Oh yeah and no music neither!
Chas
Old May 08, 2003, 07:16 AM
Concord, MA
Joined Jun 2002
1,113 Posts
Forget content, it's size that counts

Sparky, how many bytes is that picture you posted? I can't get even pictures that my free eyeball webcam took posted because the file sizes are too big.

Re pretty girls, I think they should definitely have clothes on if they are portrayed holding a model airplane on the cover of a magazine. Everyone knows that UV exposure is a major caiuse of skin cancer, and sunblock reacts with monocote and other heat shrink covering.
BEA flyer is offline Find More Posts by BEA flyer
Old May 08, 2003, 07:30 AM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,417 Posts
Re: Forget content, it's size that counts

Quote:
Originally posted by BEA flyer
I can't get even pictures that my free eyeball webcam took posted because the file sizes are too big.
You need to resize (to maybe 500 pixels max dimension), and compress (save with lower JPEG quality setting). You can do this in any bundled image editing software (eg MS Photo Editor). I rarely post pictures bigger than 40-50K, the original files from the camera are typically about 2 Mb.

HTH
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old May 08, 2003, 08:09 AM
I'm kind of a big deal
Tarpon Springs, FL USA
Joined Feb 2002
852 Posts
Bye Captain_B, especially if you are so intolerant of other people's viewpoints. You should also avoid the Off Topic Section.

What's wrong if someone want's to avoid pics of some girl riding a plane. So what if I would rather not read Playboy to a 3rd grade class on career day. Yes, I know sex is all over today's society which is fine, but it is not always portrayed in a healthy light. It's not about sheltering a kid, it's about trying to get them to understand you don't need to be a half starved model to have self worth.

Who here would like their daughter to make the same career choice as Clara Morgane the "model".

I see nothing wrong with the Backyard Flyer covers, heck you see a lot more on the cover of Cosmo or just about any womens mag.
Tarpon Shawn is offline Find More Posts by Tarpon Shawn
Old May 08, 2003, 08:40 AM
UK
Joined May 2003
3 Posts
I am not intolerant of other people's viewpoints, rather it is those who attempt censorship who are intolerant. If someone makes the choice to avoid pictures of this type that's their choice and I would not stop them. But they have to understand that they do NOT have a right to go through life without being offended - if they find something offensive then that is THEIR problem and they must learn to deal with it themselves rather than putting blanket censorship on everybody. What annoys me is that the so-called moderator has made this decision for all of us; he's made the decision that certain phrases are not acceptable, which is in direct conflict with everybody's right to free speech. In a misguided attempt to "protect" children we are all being treated like babies.
Forgive my outrage, but censorship of any kind, however mundane, is somethng I regard as insidious, uneccesary and fascistic and I cannot see it occur without responding.
Captain_Bodge is offline Find More Posts by Captain_Bodge
Old May 08, 2003, 08:53 AM
Don't cut the Yellow Wire
Ridgewood ,NJ
Joined Jan 2000
3,504 Posts
Regarding the UK mags not having glamor models displaying models on the front cover. This trend dissapeared in the late nineties, during the last profesional brain drain of the country as socialized medicine took its strong hold thus leaving the poor briitish populace at the mercy of ill trained edited by moderatorhealth care providers.

From a proffesional standpoint, The Book of British Smiles, has been the best promoter of Estheic Adult Dentistry and Orthodontics in this country.

Edited by Brian Cullen on May 09, 2003 at 7:56AM
dr.E is online now Find More Posts by dr.E
Old May 08, 2003, 08:58 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,444 Posts
Captain Bodge

You are new here, please take the time to get the feel of the site and you will find that what we have is something very special. The ambience of these forums is freindly and co-operative, you will find much useful information and exchange of ideas here and there is no better site for information on electric flight. It would be a shame if you were to spoil your own use of that resource, and the contribution which you yourself might make, on the basis of an unrealistic excpectation that "anything goes" on this site. You will note that the thread is basically intact and that the discussion has not been terminated, I merely ask that members take care in the language and terminology that they use.

For the avoidance of all doubt, you should note that this is a private website. The site owner is at liberty to set whatever standard they desire and the posting guidelines for the site are clear- as explained above. That isn't a matter for debate and the issue of free speech doesn't enter into it. By entering this site and posting here you become part of the community and in the interests of that community it is the function of the moderators to intervene when the boundaries set by the site owner are crossed. In my opinion the few phrases which I have edited out in a minority of posts in this thread crossed that line. If you feel that you have been treated unfairly by a moderator please feel free to take the matter up with an administrator- there is a site suggestions/complaints column at the base of the forums index page.

Brian
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old May 08, 2003, 09:07 AM
Joined Feb 2003
1,658 Posts
Sorry Cap'n if I was a little rude and hard on you, so what it's not my place to be so anyway is it, but I found it ironic that you objected to censorship, yet thought that the best way to make a declaration for free speech was to leave the Forum! Kind of like Fighting for Peace.
I'm with you all the way for freedom of speech, but you can't encourage it by being "Miffed of Morpeth" and storming off
with the archetypal "Please cancel my Subscription" attitude so beloved of Colonel Blimp.
Anyway what I'm trying to get across is that this association of model flying with alluring females is so tenuous and implausible that it's comic. If you see a pretty girl and immediately start having dark thoughts of repression and "standards" to be associated with the source of the image, well then there's no hope.

Chas
Closed Thread