18,786 Posts
You still have the girl on page 3 in the newspaper? Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Old May 07, 2003, 10:17 AM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
And how about the last four "Backyard Flyer" magazine covers?

Am I the only one that thinks the models pretending to fly planes in Photoshopped picures looks too fake?

To me, some of the women look as if they are embarrassed at having to pose with a toy airplane.

I thought some of the pictures on the inside of the mag in the earlier issues looked much better, where they showed some of the women on the magazine staff, who you could tell were actually enjoying themselves participating in the hobby.

Just my opinion.

Wayne
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Last edited by Basketcase; May 20, 2003 at 05:18 PM.
Old May 07, 2003, 10:42 AM
Stress Be Gone
Snohomish, WA
Joined May 2000
3,416 Posts
The covers look fine to me
GBR2 is offline Find More Posts by GBR2
Old May 07, 2003, 11:06 AM
santa paula, ca
Joined Sep 2001
8 Posts
The covers are one thing, but I am becoming rather annoyed at there being a substantial ammount of page space per issue being wasted(?) on the "cute girl loves flying airplane even without actually transmitting" theme.... pack in more quality content BY Flyer! If i want cute girls...im already on the internet..

That being said ..the latest one holding the a-10 looks like an ex- girlfriend...sigh...
TawmcaT is offline Find More Posts by TawmcaT
Old May 07, 2003, 11:11 AM
Registered Snoozer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jul 1999
6,140 Posts
Wayne:

The other day a friend of mine who writes for the magazine told me that the woman launching the Rascal in the lower left-hand cover picture is the editor of Backyard Flyer and an experienced R/C pilot. Go figure. I still agree with Heather. Sure it's nice to look at these photos, but there's plenty of places guys can go to find this kind of image. Sex sells, no doubt about it, but I think it's kind of ridiculous to have a photo in an R/C magazine like the French one Jurgen posted.

Neil
Neil Morse is online now Find More Posts by Neil Morse
Old May 07, 2003, 12:42 PM
Involuntary Beta Tester
Joined Jan 2002
8,288 Posts
We all know the truth about women and RC flying

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hreadid=113138

Kelvin
kelvin is offline Find More Posts by kelvin
Old May 07, 2003, 01:16 PM
Naperville, IL USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,886 Posts
For me the test of whether or not the pictures are acceptable is whether or not I would feel comfortable leaving the magazine on my coffee table for my 10 year old daughter to see. I can't comment on more recent BY Flyer covers, but I have an older issue where there's a women dressed in normal park-flying clothes (i.e. not a bikini) launching a plane. No problem there.

The picture posted by Jurgen where the woman is clearly not flying the plane as much as riding it is way off the scale of appropriateness in my opinion. In other words, no good.

Then there's a gray area in between. But, I always go back to the "daughter test."

Regardless, though, I agree with the sentiment that putting a pretty girl on the cover of an R/C magazine is a bit of an editor cop-out. Even the Q&EFI from a couple of months ago with the priestess or whatever holding the sailplane was a bit goofy - though not offensive - in my opinion.

Mitch
Mitch G is offline Find More Posts by Mitch G
Old May 07, 2003, 01:18 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Thanks Neil for the info. I stand corrected. Out of all the covers I thought that was the only one that didn't look too fake.

I suppose having women on the cover is better than the men that they had before. The ladies certainly are easier to look at.
And like you mentioned, sex sells.

And I also agree about the pic from the French magazine.

Wayne
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old May 07, 2003, 02:16 PM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,761 Posts
Cuts both ways....

Actually, I think that having girls on a cover may actually encourage women/girls to enter the hobby- especially if the women/girls are shown actually flying the airplane.

A couple of decades ago- Playboy ran a pictorial (in typical Playboy dishabille) of Bo Derek windsurfing. There are a lot of boardshop owners that will point to that issue as launching an industry. Furthermore, by showing Bo Derek, a rather petite woman, boardsailing well, it threw down a gauntlet to both men and women to try the sport out. There were a number of women who thought that if Bo Derek can do it, so can I. Men were probably thinking something else. Turns out that it's a bit harder than it looks.

While traditional glow powered R/C hasn't had but a few lady pilots, I think electric powered R/C may have a shot at attracting a few more. Using a small sample (i.e. friends of mine who happen to be women) many of the turn offs of glow- the noise, the smell, and the gunk especially are missing. (The lack of aggravation probably appeals to both men and women.) So I've found it easier to get these women to keep me company while flying, and its easier to convince them to take a turn at flying than with glow. As someone who often encourages folks to take a turn, I find that women often take a bit more convincing, but are at least as good (occasionally better) than men their first time.

I think electrics are appealing to a wider demographic than glow powered models. Young women have traditionally not been attraced to model airplanes, but perhaps they will be more attracted to the current crop of parkies. So, I'm all for the type of covers shown in Backyard Flier- especially if the girl shown is flying the airplane.

I don't want to get into the censorship game- I'm perfectly content to let the market decide. However, as someone who asked an attractive sailing companion to pose holding an airplane for a magazine, I can tell you that she thoroughly enjoyed the experience-as did I. Maybe we should just use amateur models?

Sam
Megowcoupe is offline Find More Posts by Megowcoupe
Old May 07, 2003, 02:55 PM
NY
Joined May 2000
2,274 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mitch

The picture posted by Jurgen where the woman is clearly not flying the plane as much as riding it is way off the scale of appropriateness in my opinion. In other words, no good.

Mitch.....Im not looking to pick a fight but does your daughter know who Brittney Spears is .....and does she watch her video's ??

I dont see anything wrong with a Bikini picture if done tastefully.....or the picture posten by Jurgen for that matter. Lewd behavior by role models and little girls singing lyrics that are far more suggestive are cause for concern IMO

Alan W
Alan W is offline Find More Posts by Alan W
Old May 07, 2003, 04:11 PM
Long-Time Member
Cologne, Germany
Joined Dec 1996
2,400 Posts
Good comments lady and gentlemen. But, leaving your hormones in a benign location, lets now talk about the ART.

Backyard Flyer is making good attempts. But with the possible exception of the two lower covers displayed in this thread -- the pretty woman actually looks pleased to be launching the model, and the Army desert scene does appear "feminine" mean -- I feel these covers genuinely fall short in artistic composition.

And still none of these women are dressed in a fitting swinsuit. Yet, frankly, photographing a model airplane, much less a real one, is extremely tough to compose using the highlights of any person's physical appearance.

I think a past Boeing Business Jet advertisement I saw in Flying Magazine that showed a cute, petite gymnast posing near the plane's winglet was a dead-ringer. Using a female "glamour actress" edited by moderator there would definitely send the wrong message, but maybe it's more appropriate for a hot, wild and fast aerobatic model.

Edited by Brian Cullen on May 08, 2003 at 6:26AM
James Frolik is offline Find More Posts by James Frolik
Last edited by James Frolik; May 07, 2003 at 04:24 PM.
Old May 07, 2003, 04:11 PM
A Clinger
Butte, MT
Joined Sep 2001
7,075 Posts
I have to agree with Mitch.... The picture posted by Jurgen is clearly not appropriate for a Model Airplane Mag IMO and is definitely not 'art' ..... Sex may sell (to what audience?), but it doesn't make it right or appropriate especially in this case.......

We is needed is better objective 'content' in the magazines that is 'useful' information!!! I am finding now that I am getting pretty 'selective' when picking up Model Airplane mags now. Anyway....

BTW, I'd like to see more girls/women in this hobby as well. To encourge them, maybe thier should be articles and pictures of women flying/building thier own planes -- just like the men!!!! Seems to me I recall seeing just that about a year ago in an AMA mag......
rclark is offline Find More Posts by rclark
Last edited by rclark; May 07, 2003 at 05:57 PM.
Old May 07, 2003, 04:47 PM
Naperville, IL USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,886 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Alan W
Mitch.....Im not looking to pick a fight but does your daughter know who Brittney Spears is .....and does she watch her video's ??

I dont see anything wrong with a Bikini picture if done tastefully.....or the picture posten by Jurgen for that matter. Lewd behavior by role models and little girls singing lyrics that are far more suggestive are cause for concern IMO

Alan W
Everyone knows who Brittney Spears is, my daughter included. She even used to listen to her music, but doesn't anymore. But, I agree with you that the lewd behavior and lyrics of these "singers" who are then idolized by young girls is a problem.

That said, I also know that I can't completely protect my daughter, or my son for that matter, from this part of our culture (for lack of a better term). I can only try to teach them well. And, one way to do that is by setting what I consider to be a good example. This includes not bringing magazine covers into the house which are clearly only valuing the woman on the cover for what she looks like.

I would love to see more magazine covers that have women (regardless of what they look like) with THEIR model airplanes. As Sam mentioned, I think it would help bring more women into the hobby - maybe even my daughter.

Mitch
Mitch G is offline Find More Posts by Mitch G
Old May 07, 2003, 05:07 PM
Houston
Joined May 2001
797 Posts
just as long as she doesn't know who Christina Aguilera is....
lymon is online now Find More Posts by lymon
Closed Thread