SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 25, 2013, 03:22 AM
Must not buy more planes!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,298 Posts
Light Strykers are for tooling around at 5-30MPH. It's one of my all-time favorite planes. Cheap and easy to build, as well.

Here are some videos of mine.

For fast Strykers, check this thread.
mclarkson is offline Find More Posts by mclarkson
Last edited by mclarkson; Feb 25, 2013 at 03:48 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2013, 10:59 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,958 Posts
Finishing up the last details on a pretty cool lightweight stryker. Taken me months to build. Some nights i dream about questions and problems. Its sorta consumed my brain, i will be happy when its done.

But its coming out great. Looking to be around 11.5oz on an 800mah 3 cell. Front mounted motor. Big ass rudders. Even bigger elevons. Tons of CF all over the place. No joke there might be 20 linear feet of CF strip glued into this plane. Will be hilarious to add it all up.

Very proud of the effort im hoping this plane will slow down to an absolute crawl. Stalling out sorta crawl. Will prolly hover if my thumbs got the skillz.
wopachop is offline Find More Posts by wopachop
Old Mar 04, 2013, 03:22 PM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,298 Posts
Sounds amazing. Front-mounted motor? Do tell!

Here's another reason I love these planes: I managed to eject the battery from mine yesterday during a high negative-gee maneuver at about 30 feet. The plane fluttered down to the ground, landed on its nose, and suffered no damage at all.
Old Mar 04, 2013, 07:17 PM
Joined Feb 2012
56 Posts
I'm very curious about the front-mounted motor, too. Seems like that would be a challenge in terms of COG. Photos?
wingz is offline Find More Posts by wingz
Old Mar 04, 2013, 07:55 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,958 Posts
Yeah totally the CG is soooooo close. The battery is all the way back. Prolly gonna need to step it up to a 1000mah for the added weight. Lots of things i would do different next time. Would not keep the nose so long and would use 2 servos for the rudders instead of a single. I do have lots of pics. Been asking tons of questions in threads. One thing i found interesting is if you taper your elevon, with the wider part on the outside, it reduces drag. Good for slower flying wing. Believe mine have a 3/8" difference.
Old Mar 04, 2013, 08:39 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,958 Posts
Took these real quick. Motor isnt installed. Thought i took pics when it was all mocked up with motor and electronics but guess not. Still need to make the battery box as the foam is too thin back there. But not sure on what batts and how thick they will be. I use nanos but i keep reading bad things about them. So i bought some 800 glaciers last night. They we sold out of the 1000's. The nano 1000's weigh less but were also sold out. Although some of HK weight specs are way off. The 1600 and 1800 size are 8 and 12 grams lighter than listed.

Was gonna use a SK3 28 size motor. But the weight and CG got me. I did a quick mock up in the very beginning with my 850 batteries. Thought i was good to go but nope. So im gonna run the turnigy 2730-1500 motor. I have that in my first stryker and its held up good. About 8 grams lighter and will allow me to keep the battery weight down. I just barely balance out with the 850. But since my elevons are wide and i want a more rearward CG i want the plane to balance at the back of the hole. The 850 batt is about 10 grams too light. Thought about cutting the nose shorter. But its taken forever to build. I dont wanna start going backwards.
Old Mar 04, 2013, 08:45 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,958 Posts
Close up of the firewall. Took the pic for the building tip thread.

Smallest drill bit i had was 1/16". That was too thick for the tiny servo screws im using for the motor mount. The needle in the drill made a nice pilot hole. I split the wood without the pilot at first.
Old Mar 05, 2013, 12:12 PM
USA, NY, Brooklyn
Joined Jan 2002
1,831 Posts
your going to use/make a nice spinner right? I would love to see a video of how it flies. Especially if you make a nice spinner to match up nicely. The thing I dont like, is that you sanded off the battery bay/fuse. The bare airframe looks great just the way it is stock.
KillerCut is offline Find More Posts by KillerCut
Old Mar 05, 2013, 02:46 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,958 Posts
Plan was to use a collet prop adapter. It doesnt match up all that nice. Looks kinda funny with a large gap between the firewall and the prop. Guess i could use a prop adapter that uses a nut and a spinner. Gonna do whatever is lightest.
Speaking of which the 3mm prop adapters at heads up are now gigantic and heavy. They used to sell a much smaller version. I want more of them anyone know where to grab um? Send headsUp and email yest have not heard back.

I do chop that battery bay thing clean off. Cut the top of the nose down a little. The use an electric sander to shape it all together. Saves close to 1/4oz is why i do it. They do look cool though.
Old Mar 08, 2013, 10:00 AM
Joined Apr 2007
1,958 Posts
Does anyone know what the stock angle of the fins are supposed to be?

Getting closer to done. Its funny cause the entire goal of this build was to be a total beater. Smash it around in heavy wind. Dont get too attached to it by tons of time and detail invested in the build.

Well i failed in that sense. Still plugging away. Covered the entire bottom with package tape again. Which is something i told myself i wasnt gonna do. Stuff is heavy, roughly 1/2oz to tape 1 side of the stryker.

Will prolly end up in the 12+ oz range.
Old Mar 08, 2013, 03:15 PM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,298 Posts
The angle? I always mount mine perpendicular to the wing. Unless you mean the shape?

Old Mar 08, 2013, 07:04 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,958 Posts
Yes wondering are they perpendicular or slightly angled in?
Old Mar 08, 2013, 07:38 PM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,298 Posts
I've always put my in straight up-and-down / perpendicular on custom and stock builds.
Old Mar 09, 2013, 09:27 AM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Stock is straight up and down.
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Old Mar 10, 2013, 04:16 PM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,298 Posts
Secure your batteries, everyone!

Light Stryker - playing around (3 min 19 sec)