HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:17 AM
Work....fly, repeat...
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Joined Jul 2008
1,652 Posts
As a request, could you guys all post what prop sizes you are using when reporting specs for different motors, ESCs, batteries? Prop sizing has confounded me so I wind up guessing and hoping I get it right.

I am currently using a 10a ESC, a 1700kv generic blue wonder type and then either 3S450 or 3S850. With that setup, I am using a 7x6 carved down from an 8x6. Seems to work ok but just wondering what is best. I have a limited supply of various types but have not experimented much.

All that said, I love my light stryker!

Thanks for all the great info posted here.
AeroRecon is online now Find More Posts by AeroRecon
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:40 PM
USA, NY, Brooklyn
Joined Jan 2002
1,831 Posts
gws 7x6 = KING!

but if you want faster:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=5436
this is a great fast prop especially on the 1700kv motor.
KillerCut is offline Find More Posts by KillerCut
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:17 PM
Joined Sep 2005
1,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geedee View Post
BTW what did you use to strengthen the motor area ? I propose using a plastic hollow mount made for 8mm motors epoxied to the frame, similar to yours but was wondering as to the best method of strengthening the area around.
The stuff on the back was reinforced packing tape, but that was back when I was using the original ParkZone motor mount (you can still see the old holes), and also I had damaged the back side with a prop once so I was covering it all up. That tape is surprisingly heavy.

The mount I used is actually one of these:

I think if you drill a hole and glue a long enough tube in place without otherwise damaging the foam, it should be strong enough for a light Stryker. Maybe just a LITTLE packing tape, but that's about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroRecon View Post
I am currently using a 10a ESC, a 1700kv generic blue wonder type and then either 3S450 or 3S850. With that setup, I am using a 7x6 carved down from an 8x6. Seems to work ok but just wondering what is best. I have a limited supply of various types but have not experimented much.
A 7x6 on 3s is most likely exceeding the current limits of your ESC and motor.

"What works best" depends on what you're trying to achieve.
GoatZilla is online now Find More Posts by GoatZilla
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:22 PM
Must not buy more planes!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,384 Posts
I run GWS EP 8040's on most of my light Strykers, but I'm only turning 1300kV.
mclarkson is offline Find More Posts by mclarkson
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:28 AM
Chester, UK
Joined May 2010
457 Posts
(I think if you drill a hole and glue a long enough tube in place without otherwise damaging the foam, it should be strong enough for a light Stryker. Maybe just a LITTLE packing tape, but that's about it.)

My thoughts were similar. Possibly strengthen the area each side of the tube/motor mount with very light fibre glass cloth, which I am also using on the 2 LEs.
geedee is offline Find More Posts by geedee
Old Jan 27, 2013, 01:29 PM
Joined Sep 2005
1,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geedee View Post
My thoughts were similar. Possibly strengthen the area each side of the tube/motor mount with very light fibre glass cloth, which I am also using on the 2 LEs.
Yes, but not for a light Stryker. You have to be somewhat disciplined when building a light Stryker.

I have just normal clear packing tape covering my LE's.

I wanted to remove the fiberglass rods from the body as well, but I figured I would damage the foam excessively in the process so I left them.
GoatZilla is online now Find More Posts by GoatZilla
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:07 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,961 Posts
Someone earlier in this thread posted a great tip.
Use dental floss to cut out the stock stiffening tubes.
wopachop is offline Find More Posts by wopachop
Old Feb 03, 2013, 05:23 AM
Ex AmA mEMBEr
United States, CA, San Bernardino
Joined Feb 2010
783 Posts
i'm hoping you stryker guys can give me a link to a canopy for a full size stryker (i think it's a "c") or maybe point me in the right direction. i've searched but... nothing @ the parkzone site or horizon hobby and any result i got from google was for the "q" model stryker canopy, which is a smaller airframe. (i think)
it's for my r/mate who isn't computer literate and i'm a profile 3d'er so i need a little help.

thanks to any and all,
michael clyde
mchldpy is offline Find More Posts by mchldpy
Last edited by mchldpy; Feb 03, 2013 at 09:01 AM. Reason: cuz...
Old Feb 03, 2013, 10:42 AM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Looks like whatever model you have, they have it here:

http://www.wholesaletrains.com/Airpl...1200&offset=25
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Old Feb 03, 2013, 06:57 PM
Ex AmA mEMBEr
Joined Feb 2010
783 Posts
IFLYRCs,
thanks for the link, i hate it when my "search expressions" aren't good enough so i fit in the "google is your friend" group of people.

michael clyde

EDIT -
i just now "read" the link before i actually clicked on it and realized i was there yesterday through a search result. the site touted a full parkzone parts supply but i failed to see any canopies even after using the local search function. maybe i was not paying close enough attention. somewhere i did run across a "complete canopy latch system" for $7.99 or so that i thought included a canopy for some reason but, the image didn't appear to have the actual canopy included. my roommate (who this is for) thought they were around $20. maybe somebody can enlighten me as to what i'm looking at. in any event i'm going to follow the link and recheck.
thanks again to IFLYRCs

edit #2
all they have there is the "q" model canopy. the "q" is a smaller fuse, no more than i know about strykers so my scratchbuilder "modding" capabilities probably can't make it strech-to-fit. i wish he would make one out of a plastic bottle or something.

thanks again,
michael clyde
Last edited by mchldpy; Feb 03, 2013 at 07:38 PM. Reason: edit #2
Old Feb 03, 2013, 08:52 PM
United States, NC, Randleman
Joined Jan 2007
168 Posts
This is the direct link to the f-27 stryker C hatch set. This is everything that goes on the top of the stryker C.

http://www.wholesaletrains.com/Detai...p?ID=200436618
ssteven1 is offline Find More Posts by ssteven1
Old Feb 04, 2013, 04:32 AM
Bone Breaker
Dallas , Texas, United States
Joined Oct 2002
825 Posts
hatch cover

I just cut one from depron the shape of cavity that fits on top of it.
I run a bamboo skewer in the front and back about 1/2 inch from the top and put a rubber ban across the top and hook on the skewer peg. Weighs nothing cheap ,very sleek ,looks good painted black.
Lammergier is offline Find More Posts by Lammergier
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:14 AM
Chester, UK
Joined May 2010
457 Posts
g

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lammergier View Post
I just cut one from depron the shape of cavity that fits on top of it.
I run a bamboo skewer in the front and back about 1/2 inch from the top and put a rubber ban across the top and hook on the skewer peg. Weighs nothing cheap ,very sleek ,looks good painted black.
Any chance of a pic please ?
There is no stock available in the UK and shipping costs + duty from the States are prohibitive.

Thanks
geedee is offline Find More Posts by geedee
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:41 PM
Ex AmA mEMBEr
Joined Feb 2010
783 Posts
i guess you have to be smarter than a hatch cover set.
not being a sho-nuff stryker man myself, my roommate said "canopy" so i see the canopy for the q-model when searching... but no traditional looking canopy for the b/c models, doh, i finally figured it out, i think, there never was a canopy for the b/c's. the flat hatch set is as domed as it gets. i offered to make him one from epp (since i have gravitated away from extruded polystyrene type products) but no way. so the hatch set it is. too bad i didn't figure this out 3 days ago.

thanks to everyone,
michael clyde
Last edited by mchldpy; Feb 04, 2013 at 09:43 PM. Reason: cuz...
Old Feb 07, 2013, 10:19 PM
Must not buy more planes!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,384 Posts
Yee-haw!! 25MPH winds iz fun!

Just Flyin' - Lite Stryker in heavy winds (5 min 45 sec)
mclarkson is offline Find More Posts by mclarkson