HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 29, 2010, 09:29 PM
A fool in a field.
United States, IL, Mahomet
Joined Dec 2006
286 Posts
Decided to convert my first Lite Stryker into a night flyer. Added a v shaped row on the underside and a single front to back row on top with a few red light on the wingtip. Wired it up to a old brushed ESC, a tip I got from Diggs on the ATTF podcast. Works just great, I can switch it to 100% or 50% or off with a flick of a switch on my tx or adjust it any where in between.

Just finished up a new daytime flyer. This one is a little less rough, used original equipment elevons and fins but a homemade canopy. I added a couple coats of Deft lacquer to keep it from getting dirty.

So far we have made 6 or 7 Lite Strykers, I had better buy more body's before Parkzone finds out how much fun we have with their $18.00 planes.

Take care
DustyPockets is offline Find More Posts by DustyPockets
to remove ads between posts
Old May 23, 2010, 08:16 PM
A fool in a field.
Joined Dec 2006
286 Posts
Bump......Really guys these things are fun........
Old Jun 04, 2010, 03:54 PM
United States, NC, Randleman
Joined Jan 2007
168 Posts
Hey dusty Have you flew that night stryker yet. These light strykers are great park planes aren't they.
ssteven1 is offline Find More Posts by ssteven1
Old Jun 04, 2010, 10:18 PM
A fool in a field.
Joined Dec 2006
286 Posts
They are great, funny thing is I fly it less now that days are longer? Guess I just poop out a bit after 9:00.

Flew 2 packs thru my daytime flyer today. Still lots of fun, quite fast for it's powertrain and you can really toss it around.

I even convinced my flying buddy to build one. He's all about speed, flys his Stryker with a long can Mega 1.5 turn on 4 cell. Guess what he flys most of the time......Lite Stryker and a 1300 Mah.......

Next a Lite Funjet.
Last edited by DustyPockets; Jun 04, 2010 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Typing on my phone is a challenge.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 10:24 PM
Just a North Vegas flyer
North Las Vegas NV
Joined Mar 2002
500 Posts
My lightweight Stryker

Intrigued with the Stryker for several years noting the low sink rate glide at low speeds, I imagined that I would like to build a lightweight version - just to see if my instinct was correct - that it might make a nice compact sailplane. Then presto-changeo, this thread appeared out of nowhere!

Yes on the $18.90 fuselage and a $7.00 set of plastic parts. Yes on making the fins and ailerons out of 6mm depron - and just going from there. I had a blue Wonder type motor and with a Castle 10 amp ESC, and so I was on the road.

I removed the sections of the fuselage that are intended to simulate "intakes". ...didn't need the weight nor the drag! Then I vacuum molded some 99 cent store plastic plates to form new lightweight "canopy" parts right off the originals. They are very flimsy but will do the job - and held in place with white electrical tape - it seems to work really well for about 20 applications. Then replace....

I mounted the motor at zero degrees to the nose and tail parting lines of the wing moulding. The thrust angle seems pretty good! Flying weight is 9.4 ounces with the 3 cell 480mah ProLite version2 battery. And it lands so lightly, no skids are required

Results: Not very good flying with 2 cell battery and an 8x4 DD prop - but with 3 cells and an APC 7x5 it is amazing! I turn on the motor and it just floats out of my hand - truly beautiful! Then will climb vertically - doing rolls all the way out of sight! All of that at a lovely flying speed - it is just plain pretty to watch. And it glides like an angel - riding on thermals and just staying up there! I love it!

It's a really great plane to fly, and I will be happy to answer any questions.

Richard
rick121x is offline Find More Posts by rick121x
Last edited by rick121x; Aug 25, 2010 at 10:35 PM.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 03:45 PM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,151 Posts
light bulbs! 300 motor. check. 10 or 12 amp esc. check. servos. check
airframe? In stock at LHS....
MikeRx is online now Find More Posts by MikeRx
Old Aug 26, 2010, 06:35 PM
A fool in a field.
Joined Dec 2006
286 Posts
Rick

Looks great!, they are tons of fun to fly.

Looks like Mike is ready to go.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 06:39 PM
Joined Mar 2001
2,624 Posts
I am amazed at the Stryker's speed range. Mine weighs 13.6 oz with a Park 370 outrunner and 2S 1200 lipo. It could have been lighter, but I used a pair of HS80 servos I had laying around. With the EP 8x4 prop, it is quiet!

Tony
t-turley is offline Find More Posts by t-turley
Old Aug 26, 2010, 07:26 PM
Work....fly, repeat...
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Joined Jul 2008
1,616 Posts
Glad this discussion started up again. Had forgotten about doing a light stryker. Time to to gather the parts and get it going! Thanks guys
AeroRecon is offline Find More Posts by AeroRecon
Old Aug 26, 2010, 09:35 PM
United States, NC, Randleman
Joined Jan 2007
168 Posts
I love these light strykers. They are quick to build. I took one of my old bodies and stripped it down. It now weighs 8.3 ounces with a 300 ma battery. I think I can get below 8 ounces with a new body.

Yeah I know it is not very pretty but I like it.

8.3 ounce Stryker (0 min 27 sec)
ssteven1 is offline Find More Posts by ssteven1
Last edited by ssteven1; Nov 24, 2011 at 04:45 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 06:26 AM
Work....fly, repeat...
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Joined Jul 2008
1,616 Posts
That is sweet! Flies slower than my Vapor!
AeroRecon is offline Find More Posts by AeroRecon
Old Aug 27, 2010, 03:26 PM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-turley View Post
I am amazed at the Stryker's speed range. Mine weighs 13.6 oz with a Park 370 outrunner and 2S 1200 lipo. It could have been lighter, but I used a pair of HS80 servos I had laying around. With the EP 8x4 prop, it is quiet!

Tony
thanks, this gives me ideas..
Ive been running the 370 1360kv 7x5 apc with a dualsky 400mah 30c 3 cell battery (in another plane). If you want to lighten, try a lighter battery like mine. For the ultimate, try the 500mah 45-90 c.. half the weight of your battery, with more consistant punch. Im trying to decide to use my 300 or 370 motor.
If you want super power, the 370 will run all day on FOUR cells!
I made a little jst series connector for the 400mah 2cell batteries (30-50c).
250 watts with 8.38 or 7x5!! The electrifly SS12, YES, 12 amp controller has handled 3 servos and months of flying (with throttle management) with no trouble. AND its rated for FOUR cells. One could use the 25 amp if they needed more servos. Im shooting for 11-12 oz to fly like the OP's video, but with more power potential. stay tuned...
Last edited by MikeRx; Aug 27, 2010 at 03:33 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 03:32 PM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,151 Posts
"Yeah I know it is not very pretty but I like it."

Looks good to me.. functionality can be a beautiful thing in itself.

I would love to try this light but im comitted to gear "on hand"
Old Feb 25, 2011, 05:58 PM
A fool in a field.
Joined Dec 2006
286 Posts
Thought I would bring this back up for the few guys who don't belong to the gigawatt club.

Built another Lite Stryker to replace one I lost to a cornfield last year. Using Coroplast now for fins and the canopy, Redwood Elevons.

Stryker body $18.00
Emax 2805 $6.50
Towerpro servos $7.00
Generic 18 amp ESC $16.00
Old Mar 06, 2011, 11:08 AM
Just a North Vegas flyer
North Las Vegas NV
Joined Mar 2002
500 Posts
My light weight Stryker - maybe a new one?

I still love the way my LW Stryker flies! That's the one in message number 50, that weighs 9.4 ounces RTF. It's wide range of flight speed surprises everyone who knows something about model planes. I fly it nearly every time I go out to our "North" field in Las Vegas - and enjoy it just as much as the when it was new! Now that's something!

One of the things I like is that it can do huge loops. It easily does 200 foot diameter loops at a fairly high speed. I love that! ...don't know why, I just do!

I am thinking of making up another Stryker: This one basically the same, but with elevons that are about four inches long. My notion here is that it is the low wing loading that makes this fly so well and so I just want to go further on that line - and of course the airfoil is important.... But to make it a real floater, really big elevons seems to be the most simple and easiest solution.

Anyone with comments or notions? Love to hear from aerodynamics interested folks....
rick121x is offline Find More Posts by rick121x
Last edited by rick121x; Mar 06, 2011 at 11:13 AM.