HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 02, 2010, 03:00 PM
United States, NC, Randleman
Joined Jan 2007
168 Posts
I bought the led light at My local hobby shop. However these are the same as Mine.

http://lazertoyz.ncweb.net/V4lights.htm

http://hobbyking.com/hobbycity/store...ip-Green_(1mtr)

Hobby king are 3 feet long and there are different colors available.

They run on 11 volts (3 cell lipo) very well and 7.2 volts (2 cell) so so. I wired them together and to a female jst plug. I had a cheap esc so I wired 2 jst plugs to the esc and run the leds off the primary battery. ou can also make an adapter with a male battery plug and 2 female plugs if you don't want to cut your esc wires. If you look at the plane you can see a jst plug visible on the top of the plane. I plug it together for the light and unplug it if I don't want lights.
ssteven1 is offline Find More Posts by ssteven1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2010, 06:19 PM
Gahanna Ohio
Joined Jul 2007
29 Posts
Battery recamendation

2712-17 1700 kv motor here.

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...lectric/Detail

I got the motor listed here and for an ESC i got a Castle Creations Thunderbird 18.
I have not learned how to figure the watts and such so i dont know which battery to go with. I want something that will give me some speed and verticle.
Thanks guys!
Jeff
jmccoy62003 is offline Find More Posts by jmccoy62003
Old Jan 05, 2010, 12:07 PM
Joined Jan 2007
168 Posts
You can run the gws 7-3.5 prop on three cells for 15 oz of thrust at 7.5 amps and about 80W.

You need a battery than can supply at least 10 amps. To find the amps a battery can supply you take the capacity of the battery and mutiply by the battery's C rating. Also to make a 11 ounce stryker balance you need a battery between 45 and 80 grams in weight.

Here are just some examples That would work.

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...-11.1v-/Detail

600 ma at a 20C rating (.6 amps x 20 = 12), this battery can handle 12 amps.
51 Grams in weight.

This battery would make the plane floatier but have a shorter run time at full throttle.

This battery would also work

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...-11.1v-/Detail

800 ma at a 20C rating (.8 amps X 20 = 16) this battery can handle 16 amps of current.

71 grams in weight.

This battery would make the plane less floaty (I can tell the difference) but could handle the wind a little better and would run longer at full throttle.

I run similar batteries in mine. The little battery for slow and floaty and the big battery for long full throttle windly days. You need to place the batteries in different places in the nose so you can get the correct center of gravity. If you keep the overall weight below or at 12 ounce you should have verticle with either battery.
Old Jan 08, 2010, 07:14 AM
peoria,az
Joined Sep 2009
489 Posts
we need to keep this thread up.I like this one! lol
mattox is offline Find More Posts by mattox
Old Jan 10, 2010, 10:06 AM
Joined Jan 2007
168 Posts
Here is my stryker flying in a single full court basketball gym. I might try to get a full throttle video soon to show the max performance.

11 ounce stryker flying in a gym (0 min 42 sec)
Old Feb 01, 2010, 06:59 PM
Newark, NJ
Joined Jun 2006
23 Posts
can i use this motor with a 10amp or 18amp esc and 1300 zippys in a lite build stryker, i have this stuff layin around..

http://hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store...idproduct=8618
mrteak is offline Find More Posts by mrteak
Old Feb 01, 2010, 07:13 PM
Joined Jan 2007
168 Posts
I use mine with a 10 amp esc. that motor pulls about 9 AMPS with a 8X4 prop. You can use the 10 amp esc but I would use the 18 if you plan to run full throttle most of the time. remember to keep the build around 12 ounces with battery to have good performance.

To be honest that 1300 battery is a little heavy to balance well with that motor. You would have trouble keeping the plane around 12 ounces as well. If I were you I would go with this motor with a gws 8x4 or apc 7x5 for more speed. I would use the 18 amp esc. Those prop pull approx 12 amps witha 3 cell.

http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?app=goods&spec_id=150

That price includes shipping. I have uses these guys before and they are good. Be aware they are closed btween feb 4-23.

I used this mount with a home made stick that fit.
http://www.aeromicro.com/Catalog/e-f...nt_4879810.htm

I most local hobby stores carry this mount.

The slightly heavier motor would balance that battery better and with fan fold or depron fin you should still be able to get it easily around 14 ounces.

You will lose some floatiness but not much. The wing loading would go from 4.6 oz/sqfoot to 5.6 oz/spare foot.
Last edited by ssteven1; Aug 29, 2010 at 07:56 PM.
Old Feb 02, 2010, 09:14 AM
Newark, NJ
Joined Jun 2006
23 Posts
so that motor with a 18amp esc and hxt900 servos and 3s zippy 1300 will work good, thanks cause i have 4 of these lipos and was looking for something to use it on, build the stryker with stock airframe, elevons and fins correct..
mrteak is offline Find More Posts by mrteak
Old Feb 03, 2010, 05:30 PM
Joined Jan 2007
168 Posts
the stock elevons weight approx 1 ounce for both, and the stock fins are about 1 ounce each. I can make both fins and elevons for under and ounce. You could use the stock fins ans elevons but you would have a hard time getting the weight below 16 ounces. I would urge you to make you own from fan fold or depron, or 6 mm cell 88 ect. the shape of the fins are not critical and the originals are somewhat oversize.
Old Apr 02, 2010, 06:30 PM
A fool in a field.
United States, IL, Mahomet
Joined Dec 2006
286 Posts
Here is mine, ugly, quick and sloppy build but I don't care..... I may not even cover the electronics.
DustyPockets is offline Find More Posts by DustyPockets
Old Apr 03, 2010, 04:41 PM
Work....fly, repeat...
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Joined Jul 2008
1,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPockets View Post
Here is mine, ugly, quick and sloppy build but I don't care..... I may not even cover the electronics.
Why did you move the servos to that location? What did you use for the motor mount?? WHICH motor did you use? ESC? Battery?

Getting ready to start my StrykerLight.

Thanks
AeroRecon is offline Find More Posts by AeroRecon
Old Apr 03, 2010, 06:22 PM
A fool in a field.
United States, IL, Mahomet
Joined Dec 2006
286 Posts
I used old micro servos and the servos leads are to short. I just used a EPP block from a Superfly packaging and glued it and the motor on with goop, i'm talking sloppy here!.
EMax 2805 2800kv with a 5x5 prop from Headsup RC, Generic 18 amp ESC 1300Mah for power. Balsa Elevons and scrap EPP for fins.

Just got back from the maiden, flew just great!. Hard to tell since I have not flown my stock Styker this year but it seemed about as fast?, but far more nimble and will slow to a crawl.

Great simple project, I'm going to keep it as is. Leave the gear exposed, keep it ugly and have fun.
DustyPockets is offline Find More Posts by DustyPockets
Old Apr 03, 2010, 06:30 PM
Joined Jan 2007
168 Posts
Sweet I like it.
Old Apr 05, 2010, 12:08 AM
Arizona
Joined Aug 2006
94 Posts
Stryker - How light can you go?

Greetings Ssteven1,

Nice modifcations! I'm going to put my Stryker on a diet and see how much I can slow it down. Thanks for the posting.

Regards,

Desert Hawk
Desert Hawk is offline Find More Posts by Desert Hawk
Old Apr 18, 2010, 08:55 PM
Joined Jan 2007
168 Posts
I built another one. These are quick to build, cheap and fun. This one weighs 13 ounces with a 2808 1450 kv motor.