SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 14, 2011, 09:29 PM
United States, OR, Eugene
Joined Feb 2011
196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murman View Post
I think I will have to disagree with mclarkson on this one. The Turnigy 2730 that he's using on his light Stryker also comes in a 3000kv version. If you use that motor with an APC 4.75x4.75 prop, 18a esc, and 800-1000mAh 3s lipo, you should be able to reach 60mph without any trouble. I've got that setup on my Adrenaline Rush and it's been clocked at over 80mph. The Stryker frame isn't as aerodynamic as my AR, and will have more drag, but 60mph should be achievable.
That's great news. I may look into this setup.
joshuajcrouch is offline Find More Posts by joshuajcrouch
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2011, 10:56 PM
Kansas City
Joined Dec 2009
402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuajcrouch View Post
Seems very optimistic. That motor is rated for 2 cell voltage and 11 amps. 80 watts with a moderately efficient motor (at best) is probably not enough to get anywhere near 60 mph.
prefabu is offline Find More Posts by prefabu
Old Oct 14, 2011, 11:04 PM
Must not buy more planes!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,289 Posts
I am no expert, certainly. It should work in theory. (In theory a 4.75" prop spinnig at 24,000RPM will move over 100MPH) Not sure how fast it will go in practice.

I've pulled so much stuff off of my Stryker that I'd be a little concerned with pushing it that fast. (No wing spars, etc...)
mclarkson is offline Find More Posts by mclarkson
Old Oct 14, 2011, 11:24 PM
I'm overcoming gravity!
USA, NC, Huntersville
Joined Jul 2008
3,851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuajcrouch View Post
As cheap as those motors are, you might want to go ahead and get the 1500kv version also. While the 3000kv motor will give you plenty of speed, you will most likely lose out in the thrust department. In other words, if you want to fly it slow, that motor and prop combination may not have the power to climb vertically until it's at full throttle.
I use these gold bullet connectors on all of my small motors and speed controllers. That way, if you don't like the way the 3000kv motor performs, it's just a matter of unplugging it and plugging in a 1500kv version.
You can then put the 3000kv motor on an Adrenaline Rush and carve up the sky!
Murman is online now Find More Posts by Murman
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 14, 2011, 11:53 PM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murman View Post
You can then put the 3000kv motor on an Adrenaline Rush and carve up the sky!
OMG! That looks like exactly the plane I've been looking for!
Old Oct 15, 2011, 07:19 AM
I'm overcoming gravity!
USA, NC, Huntersville
Joined Jul 2008
3,851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
OMG! That looks like exactly the plane I've been looking for!
Here is the build thread for the Adrenaline Rush. As you can see, at the beginning, they were using 12mm inrunners at around 40mph. Now the "go-to" motor is the 2730-3000 and they are approaching 90mph. It's a very simple build and for $25 you can't go wrong.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 15, 2011, 10:50 PM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Sep 2011
115 Posts
Are these fuselages going to be hard to obtain soon? I have one being shipped to me but on my first visit to the LHS near me (just moved) I saw that they have three left at $18.99. I was tempted to buy one but after circling and being there for an hour I decided against it. I guess I might go tomorrow and pick another one up just in case I want to build another. The addiction grows.
dubels is offline Find More Posts by dubels
Old Oct 15, 2011, 11:17 PM
St. Louis
USA, MO, Ballwin
Joined Mar 2010
634 Posts
Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
I am no expert, certainly. It should work in theory. (In theory a 4.75" prop spinnig at 24,000RPM will move over 100MPH) Not sure how fast it will go in practice.

I've pulled so much stuff off of my Stryker that I'd be a little concerned with pushing it that fast. (No wing spars, etc...)
Not going to happen. Stock Stryker F-27C will approach 80mph in a shallow dive with a good battery and factory set-up. Spinning a smaller prop faster won't produce more speed.

That next 20mph to the 100mph mark exacts a price. You can't do it on a 3-cell battery as outrunner motors are rated at rpm-per-volt applied.

The only set-up I have seen approaching 100mph is a 4-cell 50c discharge pack with a 6x5.5" prop. This combination produces a very obvious increase in speed but not measured.

This is a math problem and not a mystery. If you can turn a larger prop at a higher RPM you will have a faster airplane. Nothing inbetween works...
Foambird is offline Find More Posts by Foambird
Old Oct 16, 2011, 02:09 AM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foambird View Post
Not going to happen.
I agree. I was pointing out the difference between theory and practice.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 08:38 AM
I'm overcoming gravity!
USA, NC, Huntersville
Joined Jul 2008
3,851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubels View Post
Are these fuselages going to be hard to obtain soon?
I think they will. I've already got one hanging in my garage and I will probably pick up another. Think about it, where else can you get an epp airframe like this for less than $20? You can't go wrong. The airframe can even be modified like I showed in post #11. Here is a photo of the finished results and a video showing it's performance.
Outlaw Stryker (5 min 49 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Murman; Oct 16, 2011 at 08:56 AM.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 04:10 PM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Sep 2011
115 Posts
Well u convinced me. Off to the LHS to pick up another fuselage
dubels is offline Find More Posts by dubels
Old Nov 08, 2011, 06:01 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by potshot View Post
Ssteven1: would you share a photo of the interior layout of one of your lightweight Stykers? I don't have access to any kind of Stryker in person, so would appreciate an idea of how you locate your battery and other components.

Thanks!
Around Ssteven? Anyone else?

I too am curious and have seen all the pics in this thread many times.

Started my plane really excited!!!
wopachop is offline Find More Posts by wopachop
Old Nov 09, 2011, 02:17 AM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,289 Posts

Old Nov 09, 2011, 07:50 AM
Joined Apr 2007
1,958 Posts
Beautimous~
Old Nov 09, 2011, 04:20 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,958 Posts
Well its about damn time!!! I go back and read the thread and its like shut up and build one already chop.

Made the fins and ailerons out of 6mm Depron Aero. Its much more flexible than regular 6mm Depron white so im hoping its strong enough. Stuff is light though the fins and ailerons came out to 10.3 grams. If anyone is curious the 6mm depron gray is the lightest of all and actually most flexible. Its not as thick at .215" vs .242 for depron Aero and white.

Since the foam is more flexible im hoping the blenderm tape can stiffen it up. That stuff weighs 0.8g for every 6 inches. Debating whether to use tape or CA hinges to be more light weight. Any thoughts? Was going to tape the top only.

Also how much throw on my elevons? Either angle......or Up and Down millimeters would be best. I made these elevons 1 3/4" thick.