HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 12, 2011, 10:03 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by b36roxs View Post
Since this is about light and slow strykers could anything be gained from vortex generators and or bigger elevons?

I cut my elevons 2"s wide instead of 1.5"s.
It adds a bit of wing area and moves the C/G back just a hair.
But I also clip my wing tips to get rid of the outboard hinge depression, because it's weak in that area.
Butch777 is offline Find More Posts by Butch777
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2011, 10:15 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
Does anyone have any thoughts on slowing this bird down some more? I am constantly flirting with a stall on mine, trying to go as slowly as possible.

I know lightening the airframe will help somewhat, but I was thinking about maybe canards? Or some sort of flap-like extensions?
My Lightest one was 9.1ozs flying, but that was with a 40g outrunner.
I had lightened it up a lot, inc shaving off the scoops, most of the fin support, the bottom of the fuselage and shaving the nose diameter.
Plus I used 3mm depron for the fins, elevons and rx bay cover and a hollowed out foam canopy.
Using the same airframe, plus a 16g outrunner on a 3 cell, I could probably get it down to 8ozs.

I've always noticed the Stryker was a bit less pitch sensitive than regular wings, probably because of the nose sticking out.
So I built a 9mm EPP Wing with a nose and fore and aft strakes.
It mellowed out the pitching moment quite a bit, plus added to the wing area.
I have another Stryker-Lite to build and might try strakes on it as well.

Old Jul 13, 2011, 04:37 PM
Must not buy more planes!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,400 Posts
My problem is not so much pitch stability as generally wanting to drop the stall speed.
mclarkson is offline Find More Posts by mclarkson
Old Jul 13, 2011, 11:38 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,583 Posts
Quote:
My problem is not so much pitch stability as generally wanting to drop the stall speed.

Lighten it up or increase the wing area.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 03:40 AM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,400 Posts
That's why I was noodling with the idea of canards...
Old Jul 14, 2011, 09:48 PM
Just a North Vegas flyer
North Las Vegas NV
Joined Mar 2002
500 Posts
Light = slow

Quote:
Does anyone have any thoughts on slowing this bird down some more? I am constantly flirting with a stall on mine, trying to go as slowly as possible. I know lightening the airframe will help somewhat, but I was thinking about maybe canards? Or some sort of flap-like extensions?
I gained, well actually lost another ounce by using a 3 cell 480mah battery with an APC 7x6 prop - it flies long enough and really well! A whole lot better than with a two cell and an 8x4 prop.

I used 6mm depron for the fins and ailerons. Saved a lot there - and made my own plastic fuselage covers out of thin paper plate material - saved a lot there! I have pictures earlier in this thread message number 50.

RTF weight is about 9.4 oz - and the flight is spectacular! Straight up doing rolls very fast, and yet will slow down and soar well enough to enjoy some thermal lift! I fly it indoors, too, in a basketball court but it flying is a kind of continuous stalll - a very high AOA. (CG is at the recommended location.)
rick121x is offline Find More Posts by rick121x
Last edited by rick121x; Jul 14, 2011 at 09:56 PM.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 04:42 PM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,400 Posts
No no no! I want easy solutions that don't require me shaving more weight!

I don't have access to Depron - elevons are balsa at the moment. Fins are foam from cut-down Stryker fins without the plastic cover. Battery/electronics hatches are made from narrow strips of 2 liter bottle plastic so they weigh nothing. I've thought of dropping down to a 450mAh battery (currently running 800mAh).

It flies really great and I get 10 minutes+. I'm just never satisfied.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 04:49 PM
Now where did I leave my jar?
USA, NC, Huntersville
Joined Jul 2008
4,096 Posts
I'm on vacation near Charleston, SC this week and stopped by the LHS to see if they had a Stryker C body in stock. They didn't have one there and the lady at the counter said they are no longer available. I'm gonna have to check with the hobby shops near my home to see if there are any in stock. I guess I should have grabbed one sooner.
Murman is online now Find More Posts by Murman
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 15, 2011, 07:00 PM
Joined Sep 2005
1,066 Posts
Does anyone here own vacuum forming equipment, like perhaps a Phlatformer?

I'd like to make a few PETG nosecones to shave some more weight off, particularly from the nose where it's making the CG issue more difficult.
GoatZilla is online now Find More Posts by GoatZilla
Old Jul 16, 2011, 12:55 PM
what ya mean i have to land?
DesMoines,Wa
Joined Feb 2008
1,404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murman View Post
I'm on vacation near Charleston, SC this week and stopped by the LHS to see if they had a Stryker C body in stock. They didn't have one there and the lady at the counter said they are no longer available. I'm gonna have to check with the hobby shops near my home to see if there are any in stock. I guess I should have grabbed one sooner.
glad i grabbed 10 a couple of weeks ago,joe at the hobbyshop thought i was crazy,but he knows i build and sell these things after i mod them.still have a few left,will have to see if i can get more or not
oly_rcer is online now Find More Posts by oly_rcer
Old Jul 16, 2011, 12:57 PM
DesMoines,Wa
Joined Feb 2008
1,404 Posts
just checked horizon hobby website and they still have them for sale and in stock,but have been hearing they will be discontinued so if ya need them might want to get them now
Old Jul 17, 2011, 08:05 PM
Joined Sep 2005
6 Posts
question on 27b

I am having fun with my champ for a few weeks now and I am also getting the urge to fix my stryker to get it up and running. I bought the stryker years ago and that was my first plane. As one can imagine, I never was able to keep in the air for more than a minute and I did a lot of damage to it. Its been sitting in the garage ever since.

I have a new fuselage that I bought long time and I want to move all the electronics to that. But the problem is that the old battery (NIMH) doesn't work anymore. I know that the 27b came wiht a lipo prop and is prepped for a 2100 mah 11.1v 3s lipo.

Can I use this one http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html ?

I actually want to build a slower stryker, but before spending more money, I want to know how I fare with the stock version given that I have been flying champ for a few weeks now.

What do you guys think?
sunilpg is offline Find More Posts by sunilpg
Old Jul 17, 2011, 09:59 PM
Now where did I leave my jar?
USA, NC, Huntersville
Joined Jul 2008
4,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilpg View Post
...I never was able to keep in the air for more than a minute and I did a lot of damage to it. Its been sitting in the garage ever since.

I have a new fuselage that I bought long time and I want to move all the electronics to that. But the problem is that the old battery (NIMH) doesn't work anymore. I know that the 27b came wiht a lipo prop and is prepped for a 2100 mah 11.1v 3s lipo.

I actually want to build a slower stryker, but before spending more money, I want to know how I fare with the stock version given that I have been flying champ for a few weeks now.

What do you guys think?
I'm a little confused. Do you want to get your old Stryker running again and practice with it before moving the electronics to your new airframe? Or do you want to build a slower Stryker with the new airframe?
The secret to flying slow is losing as much extra weight as possible. The battery you linked to would be good for the stock setup, but is way too heavy for a light setup.
Murman is online now Find More Posts by Murman
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 18, 2011, 12:12 AM
DesMoines,Wa
Joined Feb 2008
1,404 Posts
not quite sure about the lipo prop but if it's all original then thats a brushed motor and esc.don't think the esc will handle lipos and i know that brushed motor won't last long.if you do get a lipo the 2200 3s batts will fit right in with no mods.you might want to get a bare body with the c components and get an esc and motor and batts from hk
Old Jul 20, 2011, 12:24 AM
Joined Sep 2005
6 Posts
I should have been clearer in my post. My goal is to get the stock build up and running quickly. Since I have to buy the battery anyways, I was wondering if I should get the lipo instead. I want to know, if there are any gotchas with that route.

This is the lipo that I should be able to drop in according to Horizon hobby. http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...03S#quickSpecs

This is the lipo that I am looking to get http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

And sometime in the future, I plan on building a slow stryker so that I can fly in the small park within the community.
sunilpg is offline Find More Posts by sunilpg