SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 11, 2011, 11:53 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
Thanks. I read through this whole thread and people are using a lot of different motors, usually somewhere around the 'Blue Wonder.' I thrashed for days before I decided to just pick some gear and go.

I'm not looking for anything near 40MPH on this plane - it will be all about the low and slow. I'd like something to fly in a small park, or even the neighborhood. I might try a 2S, but I don't have any right now.

Thanks for all the advice and info in the thread.

I run the 1300Kv BlueWonder in dozens of planes, inc a Stryker-Lite(9-10ozs).
I've flown with 800mah 2 cells and it barely has enough power.
So I prefer a 20C 3 cell, about 600-700mah, as it weighs about the same as a 800-900mah 2 cell and it has a extra cell for extra power and it can be flown at lower throttle settings, like 50% and so you get about the same endurance, but have the extra power if you need it.
Butch777 is offline Find More Posts by Butch777
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2011, 02:04 AM
Must not buy more planes!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,394 Posts
Thanks. I'm gonna try 800mAh, because I happen to have that size around for other planes. It sounds like it's in the ballpark at least. It's that or 450's, or buy *more* batteries.

Have to keep busy 'till my parts arrive, so I installed some light strips in the spar slots. I really like the way it looks thus far.

I also found most of the foam cores from a set of broken Stryker fins, which I think I can use to make new fins for this one.
mclarkson is offline Find More Posts by mclarkson
Old Jun 13, 2011, 12:40 PM
USA, TX, Dallas
Joined Feb 2006
154 Posts
Carbon?

Hi,

I read in another thread that those rods are .156" wrapped fiberglass. That thread also mentioned that extreme speed Strykers develop increasing dihedral with age.

Could anyone weigh the rods? Carbon should be much lighter and stiffer, though more brittle. For a lighter Stryker, one could use .125" carbon tube or a flat rod.

Great idea on the floss.

Thanks,
Jamie
JamiePhoto is offline Find More Posts by JamiePhoto
Old Jun 13, 2011, 03:33 PM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,394 Posts
My rods weigh 93 grams each. That may be ever so slightly high, as they still have tiny little bits of foam on them, but I doubt it's a gram's worth.

I'm planning on running without spars altogether, although the LED strips + tape do give me a little extra support.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 12:14 AM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,583 Posts
I think the stock wind spars are Cf. Its just that they are simi-spiral wound and are not as stiff as a protruded tube. I'm doing a Lite build for a member here and I removed the stock ones and replaced them with the same size, but there stiffer because there protruded, (meaning all the strans go in the same lengthwise direction).

I have the build on my very old Stryker Thread in Airplane Talk;

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=530040
Old Jun 14, 2011, 01:10 AM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,394 Posts
I'm gonna try it spar-less for now.

For a motor mount, I was planning on using the same advanced construction technique I've employed on my flying wings, to wit: a small square piece of plywood glued to the back.

Any reason to think this won't work?
Old Jun 14, 2011, 01:49 AM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,583 Posts
I've done that on many planes. If it flexes too much, I epoxy a length of popsicle on the under side from the mount forward. I usually use 5 layer plywood, 1/8" so the screws don't strip out. And on smaller motors, I use servo screws.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 05:02 AM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,394 Posts
What do you use for your elevons? Foam? Balsa? Stryker elevons?
Old Jun 15, 2011, 02:08 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,583 Posts
Quote:
Stryker elevons are kinda heavy, so I use "C" foam from BP hobbies, or on lighter builds I use depron. Balsa would be fine as well.
The stock elevon is about 1.5"s wide, but since the Lite version goes so slow, I use 2" wide elevons and CA hinges.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 06:02 AM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,394 Posts
I've no idea what 'C' foam is or where to get it locally, so I'll probably go with something more readily to hand.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 07:20 PM
Just a North Vegas flyer
North Las Vegas NV
Joined Mar 2002
500 Posts
Quote:
I've no idea what 'C' foam is or where to get it locally, so I'll probably go with something more readily to hand.
I used 3mm depron for the elevons and for the rudders. You could use 1/8 light balsa just as well. Flies great, balanced at the stock balance markers. With a "blue wonder" HK 1500 kv motor, a 3 cel 500 Thunderpower lipo and a APC 7x6 prop, this plane is literally a wonderment! It flies very slowly, and then points stright up as far as you would wish! It is light enough to thermal and has done so several times.

Richard
rick121x is offline Find More Posts by rick121x
Old Jun 16, 2011, 10:07 PM
Cedar Rapids, IA
Joined Aug 2010
831 Posts
Update: I finally got my Stryker trimmed up and have learned to fly it reasonably well! Nice easy ovals tonight and landing just about where I want it to! Great plane for a first build!
MiddleMarc is offline Find More Posts by MiddleMarc
Old Jun 16, 2011, 10:10 PM
Cedar Rapids, IA
Joined Aug 2010
831 Posts
Quote:
I used cheap $2 foam (black, 30x60) from Walgreens with the paper left on for stiffness; for elevons and fins. Seems to work great! Light, cheap, easy... good.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 10:47 PM
Cedar Rapids, IA
Joined Aug 2010
831 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oly_rcer View Post
...use neon green duct tape for that,makes it stiffer and easier to see
I tried to buy Neon Green. The rack was labled Neon Green but the actual roll is "Island Lime". Went to three places... only carry the Island Lime. Must be Duct-speak for Neon Green.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 11:23 PM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,394 Posts
Hey, middlemarc. That's what I use on the elevons on one of my scratch-built wings.

I bought some 1/4" balsa and covered it with a layer of packing (not duct) tape. 1/8" balsa seemed too incredibly flimsy to ever work...