SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 03, 2011, 07:48 PM
Renegade Eggroll
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jan 2011
788 Posts
I've seen videos of sidearm launches too. I'll check the CG again and maybe try the side arm. I really want to launch with power-OFF, I feel safer that way.

Thanks for the advice guys!
impostor is offline Find More Posts by impostor
to remove ads between posts
Old May 04, 2011, 12:52 AM
Keep calm and don't blink
Hamilton, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2005
2,066 Posts
I must have done somewhere around 500 power on Stryker launches (I have four) without so much as a nick. The trick is to launch at around a 30 degree angle with a firm javelin style and (most importantly) remember to follow through as this causes your hand to drop away as the Stryker passes over. Easy peasy.
KiwiKid is offline Find More Posts by KiwiKid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Windrider Birdie
Old May 04, 2011, 01:13 AM
Just a North Vegas flyer
North Las Vegas NV
Joined Mar 2002
500 Posts
Launching Light weight Stryker

You should find some tall grass and practice smooth and level, power off, hand glides. This Light Weight Stryker, 9 to 12 ounces, actually glides nicely. Then when you get in practice, you can launch power on or power off - it wont make much difference.

I remember that with a fully built Stryker, with glass, and large batteries, and a huge motor, an upward, say about 45 to 60 degrees, launch was just the thing to do - but on this light weight model - just take it easy!
rick121x is offline Find More Posts by rick121x
Old May 05, 2011, 08:15 AM
United States, NC, Randleman
Joined Jan 2007
168 Posts
Try a little up trim on the elevons. Also try several throws without ever turning the motor on. You should get a nice level glide for at least 20-30 feet. Trim it until you get the level glide. Then if it still nose dives with the motor on you might have a motor thrust issue. The light stryker properly set up is pretty easy to launch.
Note: I have launched mine with the motor on all the time. Just flick your wrist down on the launch. If you hit your hand with these low power setp it will still hurt but you won't get the nasty lacerations of the high power setup. I also launch sidearm I use about 30 degree up angle on the sidearm launch.

Here is a sidearm inverted launch

Inverted sidearm light stryker launch (0 min 38 sec)
ssteven1 is offline Find More Posts by ssteven1
Old May 05, 2011, 03:26 PM
USA, NY, Brooklyn
Joined Jan 2002
1,831 Posts
you dont have to throw it at all, just set it at half throttle and give it a little push forward into the wind. i flew my lite stryker today for the first time, handles 20mph winds pretty well. i lost one vertical stab though, i didn't glue it and my prop is not balanced, ughh
KillerCut is offline Find More Posts by KillerCut
Old May 05, 2011, 03:59 PM
Joined Jan 2007
168 Posts
How about a picture KillerCut .
Old May 05, 2011, 04:27 PM
USA, NY, Brooklyn
Joined Jan 2002
1,831 Posts
naaa, i lost the fin, gotta wait for the new ones to come in, hopefully in a day or 2. i made ailerons out of balsa (6mm thick), but i found the original for a f27b at the hobby store which I may try instead... and i ordered a whole bunch of parts and stuff including the 1700kv motor from headsuprc...

my plane is unpainted without anything special, except my balsa ailerons.. I dont want to add anything cuz I'm going to fly it fpv (i got 3 airframes and all will be setup for fpv eventually...) oh and i'm using a razor rz-2500 with a 4.5x4.1, but its pulling between 20-25amps on 2s, and wayy to much on 3s...

want to know a secret

horizonhobby is a seller on amazon.com
if you add say 1 item from them to your cart and try to checkout, they WILL add 7.99 shipping.
but if you add more than 1 item, it seems they forget about the shipping
so ordering stuff from horizonhobby through amazon.com you get to skimp them on the shipping

ohh it seems they fixed it, its now $50 and up free shipping through amazon.com
Last edited by KillerCut; May 06, 2011 at 10:11 AM.
Old May 05, 2011, 04:57 PM
USA, NY, Brooklyn
Joined Jan 2002
1,831 Posts
if you really need to see, then here they are

I used carbon fiber rods for the push rods because I couldn't find any other 'proper' push rods at the hobby store. I had to measure everything up and cut them to the right length, (I still didn't put CA in the ez-links (clevis) because they are in there VERY tight, but I will add it once I'm happy with the way it flys)
The ailerons are 6mm balsa, i used packing tape on top, and just some scotch tape on the bottom for now, ill see how I like the original stryker ailerons and then decide. Its still just flat balsa, i may taper it off if they are really better than the original styker ones...

ohh and on the bottom, I have no idea why I should have my servo wire go back a little (like the guides) (kinda stupid) so i just poked a hole and stuck my servos into the center of the fuse where they meet.

motor is not glued in, just used that packing tape that has those threads in it... (we used to do that for concrushers and it works well...

its still not finished, but I decided to fly it. It came in at about 13.5oz with a 1350mah 2s pro lite v2... I flew it on 3s 1800mah and it was decent fast, nothing special, maybe 60-70mph, but hard to tell with these 20mph winds today...
nothing exciting, I'm just trying it out as an fpv plane and I do like how it flies, will be perfect as a light weight fpv plane, especially for night time when I add lights and a switch to turn them on and off...
Old May 08, 2011, 11:36 AM
Renegade Eggroll
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jan 2011
788 Posts
Just wanted to post back and thank you guys for the hand launching advice. I went out this morning and there was a steady 8-10mph wind at my flying site.

I successfully maiden her without any problems. I did power-ON hand launches. She dipped a little but was able to keep flying. If anything, she felt a little tail heavy bc she wants to climb when heading into the wind at WOT. She looked great in the air and handled beautifully. I flew with the GWS 8x4 prop and she flew fine with it in the wind. 2 sloppy landings and 1 great slow landing. Awesome!! I can't wait to take her out again.

Thank you again for all the advice on building and flying the light Stryker!!!

Tom
Old May 08, 2011, 03:12 PM
A fool in a field.
United States, IL, Mahomet
Joined Dec 2006
286 Posts
Great, glad you got her airborne!
DustyPockets is offline Find More Posts by DustyPockets
Old May 09, 2011, 05:44 AM
Renegade Eggroll
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jan 2011
788 Posts
Yes! She's airborne! I went out again last nite to fly her. It was windy and gusty and she was being pushed around quite a bit but still performed admirably. I think I'm in love!

I have videos but won't get to editing them until I get back from vacation.
Old May 14, 2011, 05:19 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,961 Posts
Should be finally picking up a fuselage or whatever you call it this week Have the motor and parts just sitting here for months.....LAME!!!!

Came back on RCgroups to familiarize myself with everything again. How does the new F 27Q effect how you guys look toward the lite stryker? I havnt read up on it yet. But i guess they made several improvement? Not just the rudder control?

Wondering what you guys think.
wopachop is offline Find More Posts by wopachop
Old May 17, 2011, 10:48 PM
Cedar Rapids, IA
Joined Aug 2010
831 Posts
Just finished my light stryker tonight, I hope to maiden it tomorrow.

Comes in at 11.65 oz with a 750 mah 2S battery.
Comes in at 12.75 oz with a 1000 mah 3S battery.

Here is my Bill Of Materials:

$19 Stryker fuselage (order from LHS): http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PKZ1267
$1 Pushrods and Clevis Set (2) (order from LHS): http://secure.hobbyzone.com/search/HBZ7128.html
$8 Blue wonder 1700 KV motor: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=5208
$8 12A ESC: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11429
$4 2.3 mm bullet connectors: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=5282
$6 Two HXT900 servos: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...?idProduct=662
$2 Plastic stick motor mount: http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ck-with/Detail
$3 GWS 7035 prop: http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ers-TWO/Detail

Radio receiver of your choice (I use a DSM2 compatible for my DX6i transmitter)
$8 DSM2 receiver: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11965

I used black poster board foam with the paper on (for stiffness) for the fins and elevons.

I used white $Tree foam with the paper removed (for light weight) for the battery hatch cover; outdoor duct tape and velcro.

No paint what-so-ever so far.

I'll try it with two batteries:

$6 Rhino 750mAh 2S 7.4v 20C: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=7306

...or...

$10 Turnigy nano-tech 1000mah 3S 25~50C: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11901

I'll try the 2S battery with the 7035 (8 oz thrust, 4.5A) and 8040 (12 oz thrust, 7A) prop; gives me a 1:1 thrust to weight ratio.
I'll try the 3S battery with the 7035 (15 oz thrust, 7.5A) prop; gives me a 1:1.18 thrust to weight ratio.

This ends up being about a $70 plane (plus shipping from two places and 2 parts from the LHS) + transmitter.
Plus some Foam-Tac glue, 3M outdoor double-sided sticky tape (servos, ESC and receiver mounts) and 3M transparent, outdoor duct tape

The ESC has an XT60 battery connector (for the HK 3S battery). I made a JST to XT60 adapter cord for the HK 2S battery.

This is my first build ever and is sort of a "test mule" for what I am learning.
MiddleMarc is offline Find More Posts by MiddleMarc
Last edited by MiddleMarc; May 18, 2011 at 09:55 PM.
Old May 18, 2011, 05:59 PM
Joined Jan 2007
168 Posts
Sounds, great middlemarc. Should fly great. Tell us how the maiden went and we need picts.
Old May 18, 2011, 08:37 PM
Cedar Rapids, IA
Joined Aug 2010
831 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleMarc View Post
Just finished my light stryker... hope to maiden it...
Took it to our electric flying club tonight and had one of our more experienced members fly it to trim it up. The wind was pretty bouncy tonight so I didn't try to fly it myself. I'll wait for calmer winds as I have very little flying wing experience to date.

It flew great! It got bounced around a little in today's bouncy breezes but other than that, it did very well!

It flew nice on the 2S battery but definitely had more punch on the 3S battery (as would be expected). I didn't try the 8040 prop tonight.

I need to program the brake on the ESC as the plane sort of whistled its way along when the throttle is cut and the wind was turning the prop.

People commented that my "eye-balled" fins were smaller than stock but it didn't seem to affect the flying qualities. So... that's good! Just that much lighter.

I didn't clock how long we flew it around but it was a little while. It took 569 mahs to bring my 1000 mah 3S back to full charge.

Update: the winds calmed down back at my place and I flew the Stryker around too for some much needed practice!
MiddleMarc is offline Find More Posts by MiddleMarc
Last edited by MiddleMarc; May 18, 2011 at 09:51 PM.