HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 23, 2011, 09:32 PM
A fool in a field.
United States, IL, Mahomet
Joined Dec 2006
286 Posts
^yea should not be any problem.... Have fun!
DustyPockets is offline Find More Posts by DustyPockets
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2011, 11:20 AM
Renegade Eggroll
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jan 2011
788 Posts
I went to maiden it this morning. It was really windy at a stiff 20mph wind. So I didn't fly her. While I was holding it and spinning it up to show my gf, I felt heavy vibrations in the plane. Within 10 secs at full throttle, the motor mount broke loose from the foam and sent the blade flying backwards (away from us). It gouged a small gash in one of the vertical stabilizers, nothing major.

I'm not sure why it has such a vibration this morning when it was fine the other day when I was testing the power system. Maybe the prop was not on perfectly straight on the prop-saver. Plus, I had used foam-safe CA to attach the motor mount to the frame. But I guess that wasn't enough.

I'm going to dig out a trench and embed the motor mount stick into the frame and use Gorilla Glue to hold it there. I'm hoping that having 3 sides of glue will keep it in place. Do you know how long White GG takes to cure?
impostor is offline Find More Posts by impostor
Old Apr 24, 2011, 02:04 PM
Trash Hauler emeritus
Maryland, USA
Joined Oct 2006
1,699 Posts
White Gorilla Glue has a pretty good grip after about 15 minutes. Or give it an hour to fully set. I used epoxy on my motor mount...it is stronger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTAR 600 View Post
Hey wow!

Here is a motor that might be fun on a light stryker. Don's RC has this 2200kv brushless outrunner firewall type mounting......only 29 grams. A little small for what I've been used to. This one has been tested with up to a 6x4 prop which pushes a stryker real good but I'm afraid it would overheat. The 5x5 would probly work better.

http://donsrc.com/cart/index.php?act...d&productId=63

Five posts prior to that post of yours, I linked to the build thread for my Stryker-lite, which uses that motor (Don's Wicked Jr. Park Pusher). I use the 6x4 and it does not get hot. I haven't tried a 5x5, but I suspect that with the lower thrust of that smaller-diameter prop, it might lose the unlimited vertical that it has with the 6x4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murman View Post
I have a couple of WickedJr motors. They are good for speed, but at 2200kv and a small prop, may not have the thrust for unlimited vertical.
As I said in the thread I linked to, my Stryker-lite with the Wicked Jr. does have unlimited vertical. I think the motor has proven to be a perfect match for a medium-light Stryker build. It can go very slow as well as pretty fast, has a good roll rate/very agile, unlimited vertical, easy to launch and easy to fly...just a lot of fun!
herk1 is offline Find More Posts by herk1
Old Apr 24, 2011, 08:54 PM
Renegade Eggroll
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jan 2011
788 Posts
Thanks herk1! GG looks to be holding.

I tested out my power system again. With the orange 8x4 prop (on 2S) that I got from headsuprc http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ers-TWO/Detail my Stryker vibrates a decent amount, just like it did before when the motor mount detached from the frame. There's also a low buzzing noise that's indicative an out of balance prop.

With the black 7x.35 prop (on 3S) http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ers-TWO/Detail it is smooth and quiet without heavy vibrations.

The funny thing is that when I balanced the props previously, the orange ones didn't need any balancing. The black ones needed a tiny amount of tape added to balance.

Maybe I just got bad or warped ones. I think I'm going to use the black ones for maiden the Stryker. I just don't feel safe using these orange ones. Anyone using these orange 8x4 props noticing vibrations?
Old Apr 24, 2011, 09:11 PM
United States, NC, Randleman
Joined Jan 2007
168 Posts
I use epoxy or hot glue on the motor mount, The epoxy is stronger. The gorilla glue is good too. About your prop. The 8x4 and the 7x3.5 gws props use different size prop hubs. If your Prop saver fits the 7x3.5, the 8x4 will be loose and become unbalanced very easy. This might be your problem.
ssteven1 is offline Find More Posts by ssteven1
Last edited by ssteven1; Apr 24, 2011 at 09:28 PM.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 09:07 PM
come to butthead
Central Ohio
Joined Nov 2007
1,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by herk1 View Post
Five posts prior to that post of yours, I linked to the build thread for my Stryker-lite, which uses that motor (Don's Wicked Jr. Park Pusher). I use the 6x4 and it does not get hot. I haven't tried a 5x5, but I suspect that with the lower thrust of that smaller-diameter prop, it might lose the unlimited vertical that it has with the 6x4.
Yes I saw your build after I posted the motor. That's great......glad it works with the 6x4 prop.
NOTAR 600 is offline Find More Posts by NOTAR 600
Old Apr 25, 2011, 09:14 PM
Renegade Eggroll
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jan 2011
788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssteven1 View Post
I use epoxy or hot glue on the motor mount, The epoxy is stronger. The gorilla glue is good too. About your prop. The 8x4 and the 7x3.5 gws props use different size prop hubs. If your Prop saver fits the 7x3.5, the 8x4 will be loose and become unbalanced very easy. This might be your problem.
Hi ssteven. thank you for helping me out. The prop saver that I'm using is this one http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...r-3.0mm/Detail

It doesn't quite fit the orange 8x4 prop so I dremeled the center of the prop out to fit. I placed an order today for GWS 8x4 props. I'll test fit those and see how it goes. I'm dying to get this Stryker in the air!!
Old Apr 25, 2011, 09:33 PM
Lexington, KY
Joined Oct 2009
694 Posts
Are the weights quoted with main battery? My Stryker with lights and 2200 mah battery weighs 29.2 ounces, ouch. Still flies great though on stock motor.
cannondale1974 is online now Find More Posts by cannondale1974
Old Apr 25, 2011, 10:19 PM
United States, NC, Randleman
Joined Jan 2007
168 Posts
the prop saver that you have is sized for the 7x 3.5 and the gws slow fly prop that have smaller hubs. The gws 8x4 has a slightly bigger hub and you should use this prop saver.

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...r-3.0mm/Detail
ssteven1 is offline Find More Posts by ssteven1
Old Apr 25, 2011, 10:25 PM
Renegade Eggroll
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jan 2011
788 Posts
thanks a bunch ssteven! I didn't know that there are 2 different types of 3mm prop savers. I'm ordering the right one now!
Old May 03, 2011, 01:52 PM
Renegade Eggroll
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jan 2011
788 Posts
Got the new and correct prop saver the other day. I put it on and bench tested the GWS 8x4 prop. No heavy vibrations like before. I went to maiden it. The first hand launch, it nosed dive into the ground. The second hand launch was similar. I don't have the motor spinning until it leave my hand bc I'm freaking scared that the prop will tear my hand apart like I've read in the main Stryker thread.

How do you guys hand launch yours? What angle are you throwing the stryker at?
Old May 03, 2011, 05:46 PM
A fool in a field.
Joined Dec 2006
286 Posts
Light they are pretty floaty....I launch motor on at about 30 degrees up. Maybe double check your elevons?
Old May 03, 2011, 06:06 PM
Renegade Eggroll
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jan 2011
788 Posts
I checked my elevons and they're flat and inline with the wing. Should I trim them to have a little up elevator?
Old May 03, 2011, 06:22 PM
A fool in a field.
Joined Dec 2006
286 Posts
Mine are trimmed up to match what is left of the wing next to the vertical fin. Might want to try with motor on but don't do something you are not comfortable with.....safety first.
Old May 03, 2011, 06:39 PM
Trash Hauler emeritus
Maryland, USA
Joined Oct 2006
1,699 Posts
Yes, it's normally not a good idea to launch an RC-plane at much of an up-angle because of the danger of launching into a stalled condition...but a Stryker -- especially a lightweight one -- seems to be an exception. Ever since I followed advice to launch at about a 30 to 45 degree up angle, I've not had any more flubbed launches. Personally I always launch power-OFF for safety. I've also been practicing some sidearm launches from a grip on the wing...which is a little harder to get right, but doable. I want to transition to all sidearm launches with the Stryker, because I have to launch some of my small EDF jets with power ON, and I'm afraid that someday in a moment of absentmindedness I might mix up the two kinds of planes unless I get in the habit of gripping the Stryker differently on launch.

Are you sure the CG is correct?...not nose-heavy? And sure, a little up-trim is worth a try.
herk1 is offline Find More Posts by herk1