Old Mar 05, 2011, 08:18 AM
I love being the underdog!!!
Bermuda
Joined Jan 2011
128 Posts
Now that not only makes "CENTS" It makes "DOLLARS"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick L. View Post
Good luck with your effort. Some will stay, some will leave - but if you don't set the rules that the majority want to play by, it will just continue and get worse. Whether it's language, touching (hitting ??) marks or other boats, illegal equipment or sail area, knowledge or lack thereof of sailing/racing rules, hardcore club or fun club, there are so many things that need to be considered. Local race rules may be fun, but for anyone wanting to sail nationals or internationals - it will be frustrating. Some will get upset that the rules are too tuff - others will simply leave after having a boat hit theirs (with or without explanation) racing rules clinics are too boring, and on and on. Just pointing out what you and others will see/hear going forward.

My advice - play by the rules, and don't make local rules out of convenience. The good sailors will stay to learn and feel they are racing fairly - the others, well, perhaps best if they do leave.

Good luck.
Now ! Thats what I want to hear. I hope you are not saying that to make me feel good... Everything you said is completely the truth. Now if I can present what you said from someone outside looking in, then that will definately help while " I " try to be diplomatic and not assume to be a know it all.
Thank you very much for your comment it is very helpful especially to me personally because it keeps me encouraged to try to do the right thing.
Romano Ramirez is offline Find More Posts by Romano Ramirez
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2011, 02:43 PM
Arkansas USA
Joined Jan 2006
238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romano Ramirez View Post
Now ! Thats what I want to hear. I hope you are not saying that to make me feel good... Everything you said is completely the truth. Now if I can present what you said from someone outside looking in, then that will definately help while " I " try to be diplomatic and not assume to be a know it all.
Thank you very much for your comment it is very helpful especially to me personally because it keeps me encouraged to try to do the right thing.
Romano,
Dont be afraid to ask a few disrespectful, vulger mouth sailors to sail with another group.

Ive seen it happen with car racing where you have interested onlookers come to watch full of excitement to buy equipment and join in. To be totally turned off by the behavior and never be heard from again.

Its been interesting to me to watch your races. Would love to be participating with you. It would be good to have your guys review "right of way" situations. Especially with obstructions (moored boats). I noticed a few boats impeeding others when overlaps occur and they try to force the right of way boat off course.

Keep the faith. If you have to be a commodore and call foul, just be consistent, fair, and prompt with your decisions. Even take time to review what you saw and why you called the foul. That way everyone learns and before you know it, they will call the foul on themselves when they occur.

Penalties and Protest are not want anyone wants to call. But when sportsmanship is not self impossed, someone has to make the decision. If not, next thing that will happen is someones boat gets sunk or damaged, then your fleet disappears.

keep the videos coming. They help me learn course management and tactics.

JD
JDCrow is offline Find More Posts by JDCrow
Old Mar 05, 2011, 08:36 PM
Singapore
Joined Nov 2004
111 Posts
Romano,
In all racing events, there will always be disputes, hence the protest comittee. One easy way to avoid vulgarities is to disqualify a participant from that particular race if such words are used. You can always provide boxing gloves after the race..haha!

Keep posting the videos. Its nice to see a fleet improving at such speed. I realy enjoy it.

Cheers!
Scully
scully is offline Find More Posts by scully
Old Mar 06, 2011, 06:53 AM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,109 Posts
Romano,

We at West Coast Radio Yacht club have introduced a rule that any bad language or unsportsman like behavour during a race will incur a 720 penilty, this keeps nearly all bad behavour to a minimum. One thing every member must remember is that their bad behavour might scare away a new member and that means less people to race against.

Love the vid's keep them up
8387mike is offline Find More Posts by 8387mike
Old Mar 06, 2011, 09:00 AM
Joined Dec 2010
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Flack View Post
Are you talking side to side or front to back?
I mean front to back, my fin exits the hull and the leading edge runs aft by about five degrees. I am thinking I have made an error and want to know if I should look at correcting it before I go any further.
themightysmiff is offline Find More Posts by themightysmiff
Old Mar 06, 2011, 09:03 AM
USA-Michigan
Joined Feb 2008
108 Posts
I would, but I doubt that it is a real big deal as long as you get the bulb at the correct angle. It probably wouldn't be a lot of work to move it though.
Ted Flack is offline Find More Posts by Ted Flack
Old Mar 06, 2011, 09:30 AM
Joined Dec 2010
29 Posts
Ok well I guess if its not that big a deal i'll probably leave it and see how it sails like it is. I taped the bulb on the keel and put it on the water to see what the balance was like and it floated right on the correct water line so I'm fairly happy with that. Is the bulb supposed to be angled up slightly or should it be dead level?
Old Mar 06, 2011, 10:30 AM
I Can Crash Anything
Yuma,Az / Westport,Wa
Joined Jul 2008
39 Posts
Up, 2 or 3 deg.
ICCA is offline Find More Posts by ICCA
Old Mar 06, 2011, 10:47 AM
USA-Michigan
Joined Feb 2008
108 Posts
Yep, I was going to say 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 degrees.

Part of it is the design of the hull. I will offer my opinion on that, subject to debate. If the hull is real wide at the back I think it needs more cant in the bulb than a narrow transom hull. The wide transom tends to go bow down as the boat heels, so more cant than a narrow transom hull design. But that is just an opinion with no testing.
Ted Flack is offline Find More Posts by Ted Flack
Old Mar 06, 2011, 11:22 AM
Joined Dec 2010
29 Posts
I guess my Vanquish transom is neither wide or narrow, sort of in the middle, I will try 2degrees as best guess. This is my first go at IOM, hopefully when I have a bit more idea I will try puttting everything learned from this one into a new boat.
Old Mar 06, 2011, 03:23 PM
USA, LA, Mandeville
Joined Feb 2005
886 Posts
Smiff,

Sail the boat first. After seeing how the boat's helm acts, you can make changes. Does it head up(or down) when a puff hits? Does it head up(or down) with steady wind, etc, then you may want to adjust the angle of the fin.

Most people like to sail a boat that will sail straight, on the wind when at a moderate heel angle, but will tend to head up if heeled a little more. If the boat heads down, away from the wind, when only slightly heeled, the fin should be moved forward (or the mast raked back). The fin placement and mast location/angle are all tied together... and to complicate it further, sail trim also.
hew565 is offline Find More Posts by hew565
Old Mar 06, 2011, 05:08 PM
Joined Dec 2010
29 Posts
Cheers Hew, nice to hear from you, your build thread gave me the inspiration for my build. I don't have sails yet so I'm having to wait, I'm just trying to get everything as sorted as I can so when my sails are here I can hit the water straight away.
Old Mar 07, 2011, 01:06 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Romano,
These (above) are all very good tips..

But I also think the opinions and reactions to the foul language you'll get are bound to be a bit biased by the culture there coming from.. I've noticed most of the sailors at the pond here in SD are dead quiet and super polite unless we chatter a little about near misses occasionally, or there's a serious problem then yes, you'll might hear an occasional outburst or protest.

Down there tho, it may be more exciting and like watching a football (or soccer) game is up here, where we all just yell out and occasionally there's some 4 letter words flying and it's all just fine, and just for fun and no one actually thinks the slightest of it..

So, If that sort of language is normal for you guys.. I wouldn't worry a bit about it .. but yes as Mike says.. some newbies like me may get intimidated. JimS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8387mike View Post
Romano,

We at West Coast Radio Yacht club have introduced a rule that any bad language or unsportsman like behavour during a race will incur a 720 penilty, this keeps nearly all bad behavour to a minimum. One thing every member must remember is that their bad behavour might scare away a new member and that means less people to race against.

Love the vid's keep them up
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
Old Mar 07, 2011, 04:18 PM
USA - Michigan
Joined Dec 2010
17 Posts
I'm a newbe too, and am used to racing on catamarans. When on a cat, the boats move fast, and you have to yell out your protest to make sure that the other skipper hears you.
I'm afraid that I may get excited and start yelling. I hope that the rest of the gang doesn't mind. I'm sure that I will get my excitement under control as the season get's going.
My first boat is ready to float.
Come on spring.....
RickieM12 is offline Find More Posts by RickieM12
Old Mar 08, 2011, 05:18 AM
Joined Dec 2010
29 Posts
I race dinghys in a competetive fleet in the uk, I know of several occasions where sailors have been banned from clubs and even banned from competing altogether for swearing at other competitors.
I guess everyone gets hot under the coller when racing it must be even harder to keep your cool when your fellow racer is stood on the bank right next to you!